• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I want to get another 9mm pistol and have it narrowed down to these 2 (but I am still open to other pistols, just post your opinions). Any ideas on which one I should go with and why? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: What would be a fair price used/ new for these guns?

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Depends on what your first pistol is.

For a 2nd gun, I'd gravitate towards a G19 rather than a 17. Choose the bigger gun as your first.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    M&Ps are hit and miss on accuracy. Glocks are hit and miss on ejecting brass into your face. The fix for a bad M&P is over $100 for a barrel that has to be custom fitted to your gun. The fix for the Glock is a $60 extractor that you can install yourself. I wish the Glock had the M&P mag release though...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Of those 3, which fits your hand best?

Choose that one.

Out of those 3, either one is a GREAT gun. It would be hard to find a better one.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I own a 17 and love it. I have shot the 19 and I plan on buying this year. I have only held a M&P in my hand. It felt good, but if you can try to test fire all 3. I would go with the 19

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Glocks have been tested with time and use. They have a huge market of parts and accessories. Due to their popularity, they're pretty cheap and affordable.

With all that in mind I chose the S&W M&P VTAC in 9mm. It caught my eye as I was looking for a gun in OD or FDE. Upon further inspection, the ergonomics were awesome, the Viking Tactical sights were awesome. Basically i fell in love right there and bought it even though it was a little more pricey than the boxy Glock.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a Sig P226, Glock and M&P in the safe. All are good choices. Since you already have a full size pistol it is hard for me not to vote Glock 19. But I would say go for the model that fits you best.

Both the Glocks and M&P have been 100% for me. I disagree about the M&P barrels and accuracy. The problem is not the barrel it is the triggers. They tend to have a lot of gritty takeup. It is difficult for me to change between the M&P and my other pistols.

Of the three different models listed I shoot the Glocks the best. The Sigs grip is too big for my hand, the M&P trigger is different, the block is well.... a hunk of ugly plastic.
    But they shoot.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    All are good choices. Since you already have a full size pistol it is hard for me not to vote Glock 19. But I would say go for the model that fits you best.

Ditto to the above. I'd say get the G19.
    I might also add the the list the wonderful FNH FNP9, although size wise it's very close to your Sig. I was not an FN fan for a long time, but every time I shoot one it points really well, and it's smooth and accurate. It would be fun to rotate between a full size Glock, M&P, Sig, FN, and XDM. just to feel the triggers, angles, etc in direct comparison with each other.
    Every time I shoot with my brother, who owns a couple FN's, I swear that I will purchase an FN next...
    XDM is another option you didn't mention that has a huge following. Again, I would prefer a Glock since I'm a creature of habit. With all of these guns the stakes really have been raised and they are ALL high quality and pretty good value for your hard earned dollars -- some more than others.

Edit: FN has full ambi features, I think the XDM, M&P, and Sig at least have standard ambi mag release, is that right? I guess gen4 glocks do too. So, If you're a lefty, there are still good options.

Last edited:

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Both are great pistols. I have shot both, but only own the M&P. As a few others have commented, for me it came down to ergonomics. The M&P just fit my hand much better. (but I still like my P226 better than the M&P!)

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would base your purchase on the use of the firearm. For a carry I would go with a g19 for range/training choose a fullsize. Since you already have a full size Sig I would lean towards a good conceal carry. Xdm 3.8, g19, m&p shield

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I would base your purchase on the use of the firearm. For a carry I would go with a g19 for range/training choose a fullsize. Since you already have a full size Sig I would lean towards a good conceal carry. Xdm 3.8, g19, m&p shield

I've looked into the Xdm and heard that the extra money isn't worth it for an Xdm, I'm leaning towards a g19. just really need to get to that shipshe gunshow on the 23rd. Ill check out the M&P

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    I wouldn't mind getting an XD9 though. this would be for personal carry use and I did like the feel of yours.. shot that golfball off the top of a shotgun shell.. cant complain with that

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I would go with the G19. Nothing against the M&P, but I personally perfer the Glock for concealibility and the feel in my hand. But you need to try both. See how they feel in your hand.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I owned and carried 5 different Glocks looking for the perfect one. After a 23, a 30, another 23, a 27, and yet another 23, I finally found the perfect Glock wasn't a Glock at all... it was an M&P9.

Thousands of rounds later, and I haven't looked back.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I have all three and would put them in the same order you did. I like the compact CZ75 better than any of them though.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Glocks and Smith M&Ps are my recommendations as premier choices in semi-autos for a variety of reasons I am not going to take the time to list. Pick the one you like in the caliber you prefer. With the proper ammunition and all factors considered, there really isn't a hair's difference among the 9, .40, and .45 as defensive calibers.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Those are all great guns. i love my Glock 19 as an EDC and it's perfect for me. Which gun fits you the best? If you plan on carrying the new pistol, which one would you be comfortable carrying? Choose and then go with that one.

Top Bottom