• ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. Very interesting input.
    2. I wish you would have elaborated on your experience with using different ammo in both guns and if there were jams and misfeeds in both or none at all in either.
    3. In a perfect world, I would have the Ruger, Walther and Smith.

We need to hit the range. I have some guns you might like to shoot including an M&P .22 Compact. Where are you located in Indianapolis?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We need to hit the range. I have some guns you might like to shoot including an M&P .22 Compact. Where are you located in Indianapolis?

1. I am now on the SE side of Indy (for 2 months), having moved from the NE side after 32 yrs. and 3 different addresses.
    2. My grid is South Franklin/Southeastern Ave (below Brookville and/or 74). (Outside of 465)
    3. That would be very cool.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Dan and dod I have a local range membership, would only cost you $5 a piece to shoot on my lane with a free target, anyway my wife has a S&W Shield and I was wondering if the M&P .22 being a "compact" is as big as the full size or being a compact, Shield sized.

Anybody own both to compare?

Found this on YOUTUBE, but the poor Bulldog fan isn't exactly clear on all details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIgG0bhsdc

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Dan and dod I have a local range membership, would only cost you $5 a piece to shoot on my lane with a free target, anyway my wife has a S&W Shield and I was wondering if the M&P .22 being a "compact" is as big as the full size or being a compact, Shield sized.

Found this on YOUTUBE, but the poor Bulldog fan isn't exactly clear on all details.

Size wise, it's in between the Shield and M&P9 Compact (gen1).

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. I am now on the SE side of Indy (for 2 months), having moved from the NE side after 32 yrs. and 3 different addresses.
    2. My grid is South Franklin/Southeastern Ave (below Brookville and/or 74). (Outside of 465)
    3. That would be very cool.

Size wise, it's in between the Shield and M&P9 Compact (gen1).

Here's a video I shot comparing some different cans on my S&W.

[video=youtube_share;99YGStrIaXg]http://youtu.be/99YGStrIaXg[/video]

I've been told I have medium sized hands. :dunno:

Steel which range is it? I probably wouldn't be shooting only loading mags.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I'm at work and can't access the youtube, so no comment on what it contained.
    2. You didn't say what your grid was, or side of town.
    3. If your membership is at Point Blank, I had one there in Carmel before I moved to below Wannamaker, so I'll go to the one in Greenwood now.
    4. But, no matter, I'll come to wherever you are even if I have to drive aways.
    5. When I go I usually buy 5-6 targets for $1/ea. I have some targets I bought at Walmart, if they allow a person to bring their own, as well.
    6. I have read/seen a youtube where the Shield 9 and the Compact 22 were nearly identical is size (unless I'm remembering what they were comparing the Compact 22 to, and actually the Compact 22 was a hair wider than the Shield 9mm (if that is what it was), and they were saying b/c of the size similarities and function sameness, it was a cheap way to hone your skills with the Compact w/o burning up your 9mm ammo.
    7. Lets set a time where I'm available (meaning I have put up my wife's last 2 shelves in her closet before I try to go "play").
    8. I'm off work at before 3 pm, and most Sat. are free (if work list done, ha!). Sunday after 2ish pm free, but that is my nap time after an arduous morning of Bible Class and Worship at, The Creek and taking the wife out to eat after with friends.
    8. I'll pm you my cell. If I don't answer during the day (I'm a teacher), I'll get back with you when I have a free moment (or just text me).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Smith M&P 22:
    The 4" barrel
    12-round magazine.
    Weight 27.2 oz

Smith M&P Compact 22:
    Barrel Length 3.5"Capacity 10+1
    Weight 15.3 oz

I wonder: Should I be going after the full-size Smith M&P 22 instead of the M&P Compact 22?
    Since this is just a fun range gun for me, so why get the smaller Compact?

I am not getting the Compact for training purposes (it is the same size as the Shield 9mm), but that doesn't matter to me.

Anyone have experience with the MP 22, or better yet with both the MP22 and Compact 22?

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    As far as I know, the "full size" 22 is still made by Walther in Germany. Not doubt, I will corrected if that is no longer the case.

You can decide if that is a positive or not.

The answer is probably rather you prefer the feel of the Shield or the SD9VE.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's a Hickok45 review of the compact 22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcABOpDfnFk

In watching some other vids, both the M&P compact and the full size 22's seem to be fixed barrel and hammer fired (didn't realize that myself until watching these. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but wasn't aware of that previously myself).

Field strip video for the 22 compact at the bottom of the page here: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-compact

Unboxing and Fieldstrip video of the full size here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8dc2VbqTgM (note there are a couple of inaccuracies in his statements about threaded barrel/suppressor but overall an ok unboxing/fieldstrip video)

They both seem fairly similar other than size. Interested as well in if some folks have first hand experience with both. I personally have the Advantage Arms kit for my gen 3 Glock 19 and use it for my 22LR practice.

I'd really like to see Smith actually make one of these M&P 22's themselves that was actually striker fired, no safety option, etc to truly mimic the M&P series. (Does S&W make the compact 22 themselves? Sounds like it from the Hickok45 video. The full size 22 as stated above by someone else is a Walther made gun. )

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As far as I know, the "full size" 22 is still made by Walther in Germany. Not doubt, I will corrected if that is no longer the case.

You can decide if that is a positive or not.

The answer is probably rather you prefer the feel of the Shield or the SD9VE.

1. I am shocked that the full-size" M/P is made by Walther and not a true Smith, but, I guess that is how the manufacturer world works, and perhaps I should not let that deter a newb like me with inexact standards.
    2. My first instinct says buy the M/P Compact 22 if is made by Smith and "in-house."
    3. But, perhaps Walther makes a better Smith than Smith does: after 10 yrs. experience, perhaps I'll know the answer to that.
    4. At this point, and having not been to the range since Oct. they both feel wonderful in my hand.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Here's a Hickok45 review of the compact 22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcABOpDfnFk

In watching some other vids, both the M&P compact and the full size 22's seem to be fixed barrel and hammer fired (didn't realize that myself until watching these. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but wasn't aware of that previously myself).

Field strip video for the 22 compact at the bottom of the page here: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-22-compact

Unboxing and Fieldstrip video of the full size here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8dc2VbqTgM (note there are a couple of inaccuracies in his statements about threaded barrel/suppressor but overall an ok unboxing/fieldstrip video)

They both seem fairly similar other than size. Interested as well in if some folks have first hand experience with both. I personally have the Advantage Arms kit for my gen 3 Glock 19 and use it for my 22LR practice.

I'd really like to see Smith actually make one of these M&P 22's themselves that was actually striker fired, no safety option, etc to truly mimic the M&P series. (Does S&W make the compact 22 themselves? Sounds like it from the Hickok45 video. The full size 22 as stated above by someone else is a Walther made gun. )

1. I saw that 1st vid Friday doing my research (since school canceled): enjoy that guy! :yesway:
    2. I watched the other 2 vids, even though I'd seen the 3rd one before.
    3. After reviewing all this, I'll probably go with the $300 M/P Compact just to save the money unless I go with the Beretta M-9 22, unless I go a different direction, having been advised to go try out the MK 4 or Browning Buck Mark.
    4. We will see. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I saw that 1st vid Friday doing my research (since school canceled): enjoy that guy! :yesway:
    2. I watched the other 2 vids, even though I'd seen the 3rd one before.
    3. After reviewing all this, I'll probably go with the $300 M/P Compact just to save the money unless I go with the Beretta M-9 22, unless I go a different direction, having been advised to go try out the MK 4 or Browning Buck Mark.
    4. We will see. :dunno:

Keep us posted. I'm in interested in a range report. I am sort of interested in these potentially.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Keep us posted. I'm in interested in a range report. I am sort of interested in these potentially.

1. Sorry, but, are you talking of the two Smiths, or are you including the Bucks and Marks?
    2. I think you're talking of the Smiths.
    3. I probably will default to my "thrifty" nature, and get the Compact unless I can rent the others at the range or get with someone who has these and fall in love with one that is more expensive.
    4. With my traditional "Toyota Corolla" tastes/values, it's hard for me to spend more for the Lexus.
    Once in my life, 8 yrs. ago, I bought a Honda S2000, my idea of "splurge before you die."
    But, it was 6 yrs. old, bought for 1/2 price ($18.5) with only 8975 miles on it: value.
    I could sell it easily for only a little less than what I paid for it ($16k): VALUE
    5. All that to say: I'd buy anything I can use/play with and sell for what I paid for it, or nearly (got to allow for fun factor, ha!), but I've only lost $25 on 1 gun so far (they started selling them new for less than I'd paid used, and you know I bought right. :dunno: (Ruger LC9: I paid $250 and sold for $225. I think they started selling them for $200 :ugh: )

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, I got my license done the next day but have not made it back to Rural King to get the Compact 22.
    I would have loved to have had it at the range yesterday to compare to my Sig Sauer 1911-22.

The Beretta M-9 22 has given me pause, making me wonder which, or even both over time.
    But, the Sig 1911-22 gave me joy at the range, but yesterday it didn't, which could be the fate of any of them in due process.
    But, I still love my revolver: Ruger GP100 22 SS 10 shot and heavy (35ish oz)

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Can any comment on the trigger on the M&P 22? I'm a die hard striker fire, polymer gun guy, and wondering how the hammer fired, M&P 22 compact trigger feels and compares to one of the striker fired M&P's or even a Glock. I have an Advantage Arms kit for my Glock 19 and really like it since it is the same exact trigger/reset, etc since it is using the frame from the 19.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I intend to go down to Rural King after work and buy the S/W M/P Compact 22.

When I see the prices anywhere from $330 - $400 online, and there are FFL fees, and shipping fees,
    and I have not seen this come up for sale used, and when I hear about it, the price is nearly $300 anyway: so I'll get new (only bought one other new gun and it was my Ruger GP100, also a .22: what is it with these prices on little .22s!, and their availability).

Some of the other 22s are for sale here or Armslist, but they are asking more (or about) what I can buy them new at Hoosier Armory.

Now watch, I'll see one come up for sale in the next month now, like I did with a couple of other times when I got tired of waiting months for a particular gun to become availbable used.

In my research, since this gun is made by Smith from the ground up, and some of the others I'm interested in, like the front runner: Beretta M-9 22, were " outsourced to another company.
    Maybe that's not a bad thing if it that German company Umarex (correct name?) is doing a fine job.
    I really want to try the Beretta M-9 22 some day, but I want this Smith first.
    If I'm wrong: lesson learned.

mikeh1953

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Dugger
    I like 22LR also... I have? Several pistol/revolvers/rifles in 22LR... But...

Have my IN lifetime CCL’s, If I am away from home I always am carrying something heavier (One of my 9’s or 40s or 45S. But the one I always have in my left front pocket if I am dressed is....

My lil 5 shot North American Arms 22LR. I can palm it and you would never know it’s there... have carried the same one every day for over 25 years... It looks the same now as when it was new... accept for a little wear on the hammer... It’s been wet, shared the pocket with lots of things... and still looks and operates perfectly

In the past... I used it to put down a 700 lb stear... 2 or 3 car struck wounded whittailes. 2 arrow struck whitetails were down but still not out. Couple of car struck large dogs... All dropped immediately with a single 22LR HP Snapper from my lil 22LR NAA to the head.

while I do carry larger guns in addition... I believe that in most self defense shootings... the perp is within 6 ft...

I gotta tell ya... I beleave and have confidence that 2-3 22LR HP in a bad guys chest or head... will end the danger. And I am also confident that inside 10 yards I could make those hits quickly and accurately with my NAA revolver.

With the exception of a new Spring about 20 years ago... I have shot ? Many rounds through it without a hick-up...

Top Bottom