Westfield
    O3dFa5hh.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    9f6XpdSh.jpg

Official Verdict: NOT Impressed

The new stippling is nice very reminiscent of an H&K P30, the trigger is lackluster and honestly not much better than the original albeit the reset is more tactile. The frame has been made thicker so there is less "Flex" and the guns slide will no longer go forward upon insertion of a magazine. Reset is not great either about double that of an P320, the slide appears to be basically the same with the original metal 3 dot sights. Cannot speak to the barrel quality, but then again my old M&P Pro shot fine for me.

Overall do not rush out to replace your generation 1 M&P's, honestly I have no idea why Smith and Wesson even bothered

I handled one today and completely agree with your assessment. I haven't shot one yet but I can't imagine that the changes I see will cause anyone to line up to buy one. Like you I don't know why they bothered. I can't imagine this is the best they could have done with 10 years to come up with improvements.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- CertifiedM&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I handled a standard black one today and the full FDE long slide. The stippling on the grips felt great and the trigger had the usual takeup but the break was very clean with a much improved and more tactile reset.

Forgot to add, to me the reset felt much shorter as well. I don't recall the price on the standard model but the FDE long slide was 579.00 so not too bad (and this was at a shop with so so pricing).

Do you shoot Glocks? If so, how would you compare the tactile reset and the reset travel relative to a Glock trigger?

I am a Glock shooter and actually bought a 9c, but even with a RAM installed, it wasn't enough of a tactile reset for me.

If the 2.0's alleviate that, and they come out with one in a 9c, I may just be interested again.

9f6XpdSh.jpg

The new stippling is nice very reminiscent of an H&K P30, the trigger is lackluster and honestly not much better than the original albeit the reset is more tactile. The frame has been made thicker so there is less "Flex" and the guns slide will no longer go forward upon insertion of a magazine. Reset is not great either about double that of an P320, the slide appears to be basically the same with the original metal 3 dot sights. Cannot speak to the barrel quality, but then again my old M&P Pro shot fine for me.

Overall do not rush out to replace your generation 1 M&P's, honestly I have no idea why Smith and Wesson even bothered

So, are the scallops/serrations on the lower front of the slide to facilitate a press check? Is there a discernible reason for the indentions in the frame in that same area?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Do you shoot Glocks? If so, how would you compare the tactile reset and the reset travel relative to a Glock trigger?

I am a Glock shooter and actually bought a 9c, but even with a RAM installed, it wasn't enough of a tactile reset for me.

If the 2.0's alleviate that, and they come out with one in a 9c, I may just be interested again.

So, are the scallops/serrations on the lower front of the slide to facilitate a press check? Is there a discernible reason for the indentions in the frame in that same area?

IMHO the trigger is pretty comparable to a Glock, though the reset is not quite as tactile. While the 2.0 trigger IS an improvement it is only a SLIGHT improvement I think. And I assume the indents front "checkering" is for press checks, also the indents on the frame are for the serial number and whatnot as the polymer frame actually has a metal subframe inside it to make it a much more rigid platform.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    This is most disappointing. I own two M&P's already and was looking forward to this. The "improvements" are unimpressive, and I see no reason to even bother with one.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The trigger seems to be very similar to my Performance Center 9L/Performance Center Shield making it MILES better than my M&P 45 trigger. I'm guessing the parts are very similar to those trigger assemblies?

The 2.0 seems to me a modest evolution of the line and might have better been called a 1.1...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is most disappointing. I own two M&P's already and was looking forward to this. The "improvements" are unimpressive, and I see no reason to even bother with one.

I think this "upgrade" was aimed at securing Smith more PD contracts personally especially with the new "Gen 5" Glocks supposedly coming out.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Whats the gen 5 glock have? One more backstrap? :dunno:

It seems to me the people that never complained about the Glock finger grooves all of the sudden started complaining. Thus the FBI specification of no finger grooves (and as an agency instructor myself I hear the masses complain about everything on when they shoot) Glock sort of revamped theirs to the FBI spec.

I got to hold a Larry Vickers Glock recently which was pretty nice. The comparison is it's a Gen 3 on a RTF Frame. Our of all the Glocks I have shot I (person ally) like the Gen 3 grip. But I like my M&P's and shoot them better.

I just find it funny that all of the manufacturer keep adding or reducing options and some folks end up changing guns 3 times a year. Some are nice change he's don't get me wrong but nothing g you won't be able to make it through the night if you don't get the first one at the gun shop.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    9f6XpdSh.jpg

It's interesting how people's perceptions and opinions differ. I thought it was a nice evolution in the line, they gave you good stippling that people usually pay for, they added the forward serrations I like, it's a nice almost custom touch, again something people often paid for. I always used the small backstrap so i'm not sure where the 4th backstrap fits in, maybe x-large? I've owned a ton of M&P's over the years and this trigger was much nicer, at least on the two samples I tried (and i've had apex equipped guns as well). I'm not sure what you were expecting, it's still an M&P there's only so much you can improve without coming out with an entirely different gun? It's no different than a glock gen 3 to gen 4 to 'gen 5', it's still a glock with just some minor refinements.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's interesting how people's perceptions and opinions differ. I thought it was a nice evolution in the line, they gave you good stippling that people usually pay for, they added the forward serrations I like, it's a nice almost custom touch, again something people often paid for. I always used the small backstrap so i'm not sure where the 4th backstrap fits in, maybe x-large? I've owned a ton of M&P's over the years and this trigger was much nicer, at least on the two samples I tried (and i've had apex equipped guns as well). I'm not sure what you were expecting, it's still an M&P there's only so much you can improve without coming out with an entirely different gun? It's no different than a glock gen 3 to gen 4 to 'gen 5', it's still a glock with just some minor refinements.

The new 4th backstrap is a Med-Lg, sized between the Medium backstrap and the Large.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I hear they also fixed the auto forwarding problem.

That was part of the reason for the steel liner in the frame, it apparently is meant to reduce "flex" in the frame as well as felt recoil. Personally on my M&P Pro I use for USPSA I quite liked the auto forward "design flaw" made reloading from empty a total breeze

Top Bottom