• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omaha In June

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi all, I'm wondering if I can get some opinions. I had to liquidate my armory due to some bills needing to be paid. I'm now just starting to rearm, which is scary. It's like finding an long lost old friend. I've owned all full size military handguns. (1911, Beretta 92, USP 40 cal. and a rogue Beretta .22 bobcat or tomcat. I can never remember) and carried them all at different times.

My next handgun purchase is going to be in all likely hood, a M&P. I'm going back to 9mm as w/ good shot placement and defense loads, I have no worries about not stopping anything in front of me. Plus, I'm confident that the wife, who is a very new shooter, can handle it if need be. It's mainly going to be my CCW, but until I can afford a second handgun, it going to pull double duty as my "tactical" sidearm.

I've did a little homework on the M&P. Haven't shot it yet, but did some hand fitting at my local gun store. Since I'm used to full size guns, I gravitate to the full size M&P's feel. Not being able to get my pinky on the grip of the compact seems alien, but from what I've read, your pinky doesn't really effect your shooting so much. So, I'm assuming it will just feel just as natural after a while. I could also use the full size mags, but I believe that negates some of the conceal-ability adding to the grip and what actually can be seen.

I've read some reviews that state that the compact is just as accurate as the full size, so I think I'm only left w/ if the compact will be able to do just as much as the full size in a "tactical" environment.

Thanks all for the thoughts and helping me to sort this out.
    Paul

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have both and sold the MP9 compact. Just didn't think it felt as good as my full sized and there was a difference in the trigger. THe full size has no thumb safety and has a much nicer trigger than the compact with the thumb safety.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    With the mag base plate extensions on the compact... I was able to get a full hand grip.

Not as "good" as a full hand grip on the FS, though.

I USED to own a C - in which I also used FS mags + grip adapter.

I traded the C for an FS... There really isn't all that much of a size difference - especially since all my C mags had the bigger base plates installed.

If you're more familiar with Glock sizing - baby glock < M&PC < compact glock < M&PFS < full size glocks

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've carried a .40c daily for a couple years now. I too found that the lack of having a pinky on the grip is completely uncomfortable and for me not acceptable. Once the mag with the pinky extention was inserted, I had no problems with it (I know they only come with one of the extentions though). I ordered 5 more extentions from S&W (plans were for mags as well), and the additional extentions cost $1 ea (some people have gotten them for free, I just wasn't as lucky). I have a FS in my future, but have been completely happy with the compact from day 1.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have 4 M&P autos (2 M&P45s, and M&P9 Pro and an M&P9c). I hate to pull the standard INGO response of 'Get them both' but you should totally get them both! Much like Glock, the smaller sized M&Ps can use the full-size pistol's magazines so you essentially get a 2 for 1 mag swap every time you buy a magazine for your full-size 9.

They make an X-Grip adapter which is just basically a rubber sleeve that fits over a full-size magazine and gives you a full-size grip. I tend to shoot my 9c using that as much as I do my full-size 9mm, it is one of the finest little compacts I've owned or shot. I have as much fun shooting that compact as I do my full-sized M&Ps no matter the caliber. I don't know that I would have gotten the 9c first since I do shoot my carry guns in IDPA and it helped to justify buying the 9c because I could use all my 17-round mags from the Pro in the 9c. Accuracy, recoil and fun is the same in both with the 9c sometimes getting the edge because of it's smaller size.

Omaha In June

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Bend
    I do plan on both, as money permits. I just need to start w/ one. Eventually, threaded barrels and a can will be part of the package. I appreciate all of the feedback. And essientially it sounds like the compact w/ mag extensions are the way to run the compact. So you're shaving a little off of your draw as the barrel is shorter.
    I've got lines on used ones of each. The full size is standard that i can trade for a Telecaster guitar I have. I have a M3 light that I can use on that one.
    The 9c is the crimson trace grip model. Plus has a X2 light/laser. One compact mag, two full size mags, and a holster. $650 for this one. Any thoughts?

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I do plan on both, as money permits. I just need to start w/ one. Eventually, threaded barrels and a can will be part of the package. I appreciate all of the feedback. And essientially it sounds like the compact w/ mag extensions are the way to run the compact. So you're shaving a little off of your draw as the barrel is shorter. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-s_and_w_m_and_p_9c_w_crimson_tace_grips.html
    I've got lines on used ones of each. The full size is standard that i can trade for a Telecaster guitar I have. I have a M3 light that I can use on that one.
    The 9c is the crimson trace grip model. Plus has a X2 light/laser. One compact mag, two full size mags, and a holster. $650 for this one. Any thoughts?

Is that a new price? If so it sounds reasonable. There is one in the classifieds right now asking more than that.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns_pistols_and_revolvers/227393-s_and_w_m_and_p_9c_w_crimson_tace_grips.html

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I carry an M&P9c, and sold an 9 Pro (5"). I honestly shoot the 9c as well as I shot the pro (which is why I sold the pro), and I don't use the pinky extensions. I've pretty much gone to using a two finger grip on all handguns...very little pressure from the pinky even on a full size grip. I find that I just don't need it and it means I can have the same muscle memory and feel on full size and compact guns.

If you feel comfortable CCing the FS, then there is no reason not to go that route, but personally I find that I much prefer the shorter grip of the compact for CC.

As has been mentioned if you go with the compact, you can run FS mags + x-grips if the situation warrants it (or carry FS mags as spares).

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I don't know where you are but SniperCo in Fort Wayne had a new used 9c for $475 the other day I was there.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    My EDC is an M&P9c in a supertuck. It's a very comfortable package and the gun shoots well. I'd be happy to let you shoot mine before you buy one if you like.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have both the full size and compact 9. I can't seem to get a good grip on the compact and it's been sitting in the safe for a while now. Have been carrying the full size in a Comp-Tac MTAC for about 8 months (was in a Crossbreed Supertuck for the time before that) and it works just as well for me as the compact did in the Supertuck.

Omaha In June

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Bend
    $399 is a steal! Saving $250 over the 9c is $250 towards my AR fund. Maybe I can even get Mudwest to honor that price and not have to pay for a transfer.

Omaha In June

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks T4 for the offer. I've shot other striker fire guns and I like them enough. I always said I'd be a Glock guy, if they weren't so ugly. That's where the M&P gets me. Its a nice looking gun. If the compact is like a baby Glock, then I can relate. My battle buddy is a Glock guy and has all the sizes.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm a Glock guy, but recently picked up an M&P9c when PSA was running them for $399. I have not made the transition to carrying it vs my Glocks, but seems to me the 9c is about the perfect size.

As others have stated it is between the size of the Glock 19/23 and the the Glock 26/27.

I have both and sold the MP9 compact. Just didn't think it felt as good as my full sized and there was a difference in the trigger. THe full size has no thumb safety and has a much nicer trigger than the compact with the thumb safety.

My 9c with no safety has a fine trigger, although I had to put in a RAM kit (not a DCAEK just the RAM) to get a tactile trigger reset, as I could not stand that you could not feel the reset. The RAM cost me less than $20, and makes a big difference in trigger reset.

I do plan on both, as money permits. I just need to start w/ one. Eventually, threaded barrels and a can will be part of the package. I appreciate all of the feedback. And essientially it sounds like the compact w/ mag extensions are the way to run the compact. So you're shaving a little off of your draw as the barrel is shorter.

Seems like a good price for all the extras. My 9c was $399 + $20 transfer, no shipping cost. I just picked up 2 full size mags for it from Botach for $19.99 each, and the 9c came with 2 mags (1 flush fit and 1 with the finger rest)

I carry an M&P9c, and sold an 9 Pro (5"). I honestly shoot the 9c as well as I shot the pro (which is why I sold the pro), and I don't use the pinky extensions. I've pretty much gone to using a two finger grip on all handguns...very little pressure from the pinky even on a full size grip. I find that I just don't need it and it means I can have the same muscle memory and feel on full size and compact guns.

If you feel comfortable CCing the FS, then there is no reason not to go that route, but personally I find that I much prefer the shorter grip of the compact for CC.

As has been mentioned if you go with the compact, you can run FS mags + x-grips if the situation warrants it (or carry FS mags as spares).

I got the full size mags as spares/reloads, but haven't picked up the x-grips as I didn't see a reason to as yet.

Omaha In June

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks for all of your points Web Snyper. I think if I can get the full size for $400, then I may go that route. I've got a M3 light for it and have money left over for a good carry holster. But... That still seems like a great package for that 9C. Lots of goodies, and if the holster is decent, I'll be set. Plus, I could always sell off any extras I don't like or need. That recoups into my AR fund.

Top Bottom