• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    I've put around 200 rounds through my M&P9 and still have a very gritty triggger. It's okay while pulling the trigger back but when resetting the trigger it jumps forward past the sear reset thus making follow up shots slower. Is there any way to fix this without buying new sear/trigger parts?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I highly recommend an Apex AEK, but if you want to just remove the grit and keep the stock trigger, replace the striker block with an Apex USB.

Here's my breakdown of Apex options:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block (USB) w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger.

Hope this helps.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    It's okay while pulling the trigger back but when resetting the trigger it jumps forward past the sear reset thus making follow up shots slower. Is there any way to fix this without buying new sear/trigger parts?

I noticed the exact same thing with my new M&P9. I have only put about 100 rounds through it but I did notice that follow ups were a little slower. I'll have to see if I get used to it. I have been dry firing some and also just repeatedly pulling the trigger without resetting it each time to break it in. It seems to have helped the grittiness sometime. I am with you on not wanting to get into the new sear/trigger parts. I'm just going to get used to this one and be ok with it.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    People like the APEX kits. Outside of a light polishing, I am not a fan of fumbling with ignition parts on striker fired guns. That's an option.

I like the trigger on my 9c. I have not experienced the trigger issues some have had.
    There is very light grit during take up and that's it. After 750~ rounds and some dry firing, the grit has lightened up quite a bit.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I had the RAM and the DCAEK installed and it made a world of difference. I have heard that the Pro series and the shields already have good triggers.

S&W was supposed to put the Shield trigger into the rest of the M&P line. I have a new (9/13) M&P9 FS that has the new trigger assembly, and my Shield trigger is still different and better. The M&P9 FS trigger is definitely better than older ones I've tried. I just don't understand how they can't put the exact same trigger that is in the Shield in the other M&Ps! It would be so much better!

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    I have looked into the apex kits, while I do believe it would help, I am not entirely ready to pay out for the parts just yet. Any references on what parts to polish?

TeddyBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    No Where Special, NW IN
    I "had" a gritty trigger also in my 9c. 500rds didn't help. I installed the Apex trigger system $172 and grittiness is gone. trigger is nice and smooth now. My brothers 9c has little to no grit feel... he is holding out till he shoots mine till he shells out the dough for the Apex..

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I have the Pro series 9 and really like the trigger. Plan on shooting USPSA with the gun next year so that may change my mind but for now I am staying with stock.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Bowie Tactical will fix your factory trigger. No new parts. I've had one done and it is very good work.

Smith and Wesson M & P

i should say that I have an apex competion trigger in another pistol. The pull is lighter but it didn't fix the grittiness or the reset. I'm going to have that one into Bowie pretty soon too.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I have looked into the apex kits, while I do believe it would help, I am not entirely ready to pay out for the parts just yet. Any references on what parts to polish?

Firing pin block channel, trigger bar and sear. However, since you had to ask, I wouldnt make this a diy project.
    If the trigger is that unbearable, seek professional help.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    i should say that I have an apex competion trigger in another pistol. The pull is lighter but it didn't fix the grittiness or the reset. I'm going to have that one into Bowie pretty soon too.

Just so we're clear to other people, the trigger itself is not SUPPOSED TO fix the grittiness or the reset. There are specific Apex parts to fix those two issues. The USB and the RAM WILL fix those issues.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Did you not install the USB that came with the CompAEK? That is what fixes the grittiness. I personally like the tactile reset of the AEK kits, but if you must have a glockish audible "click" (which of course you won't hear during live fire), the RAM will provide it.

Top Bottom