• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    Looking at a very nice s&w model 10-7 2 inch barrel ser. no. 5D979xx pinned barrel with excellent grips. would grade NRA 97% with no problem. Would $300 be a decent value. Is this an older gun. I don't have any pics yet. Thanks in advance for any help. Best regards:ingo:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think it is. I grabbed a 10-7 snub a few months back probably in 85% shape for $235. As long as no one has screwed with anything in the inside, it will have a very sweet trigger and be a good shooter.

5d series, if I recall, were made in 1979. I'll confirm that one way or the other later.

Edit: As best I can dig up, it was a 79. If you search it on the web a lot of guys will say that 10-7 snubs were only made in 77, but that's not true.

Model 10 snubs are the sleepers of the carry community right now. The only thing holding their price in check is their production numbers. There is NO modern 38 snub that can compete with them. One note if you do grab it, there are specifically designed to shoot point of aim with 158gr bullets. They will shoot others accurately, but that's what they were made to do. You can also shoot +p through them sparingly.

Last edited:

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    Thanks sbcman for the reply. I love the short barrels. My carry gun is a colt detective special 3rd gen. It just happens that I load the .38special with 158 gr rn. This model 10 has the round grip. Maybe a set of hogues are in order.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Yes sir that's a good price. Great gun, big for a snub but it is a 6 shooter. A shop in my area has a pair of 2" model 64s ( same gun as model 10 but stainless steel). Both are pretty nice. They're wanting $419 for them. Could be had for less tho'.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks sbcman for the reply. I love the short barrels. My carry gun is a colt detective special 3rd gen. It just happens that I load the .38special with 158 gr rn. This model 10 has the round grip. Maybe a set of hogues are in order.

I put Hogues on all my Smiths- both for grip and to save the wood of the originals:D

My 10 is the square butt but I really prefer round on snubs. Several good Hogues out to fit that baby nicely.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Blitzen, do you live in SW IN? Just wondering since there seems to be a Smith contingent here with Snorko, Kalboy and myself:D:laugh:

I know of the Smiths Kalboy mentioned. I think they came out of the California Correction System due to a stamping on them. This is good, however, as that system had a Smith armorer who probably took good care of them.

There is just something "right" about the model 10 being blued though. Stainless doesn't seem to fit till you hit the 66.;)

Top Bottom