• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have always admired these revolvers, but never shot one. Obviously a classic. Any advice or feedback on what to buy or what not to buy? That is, this revolver has been around for roughly 100 years with slight modifications - so interested in hearing your experiences with your particular model.

I am hoping to buy one in the next few months.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I picked one up at an estate auction a few years ago. It isn't anything flashy. It is a solid, reliable home defense weapon. If you are looking for it as your first revolver, it would be a good place to start.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I gave a 4 inch to my daughter as her primary SD hàndgun. A 5 inch is our laundry room gun. This is my endorsement of all S&W K frame revolvers, not just the 10.

There is nothing magical here about a sturdy reliable handgun. You can never be wrong with a S&W revolver.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They're tanks and it's always cool when you can pick up a shooter S&W 5 screw

I bought one made in 48 if I remember right, started with a 6" barrel (pinned obviously) and a guy had the barrel cut down to just over 3" and had a new sight soldered on. Smith didn't have record of the work but it was done nicely and the sights are dead on using wadcutters.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm in the process of having a 10 upgraded with barrel and a upfit for bullseye shooting, They are good old revolvers and even out of the box very accurate, the older models with the fixed sights usually shot pretty close to Point of Aim, Years ago when you could get them cheap they were great to buy a few and seed them around the house so you always had one close.

If you were wanting a shooter they will shoot they may not shoot to point of aim with factory ammo but you could probably load a bullet that would shoot well

If you get a good deal on one go for it,

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I have had a few Model 10's all shot great and all were used. I just recently got another and got real lucky via a buddy of mine. A model 10 drawer gun for probably 20 years. After a good cleaning and getting the factory grease out it as all the others shoots great even looks new. This one I think will stay around, I have no intentions on selling or trading. I don't know anyone who was not happy with the S&W workhorse. Get one, or two.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    4" heavy bbl model 10's are known for being extremely accurate, but they are heavy, the old school taper bbl 4 and 5" models have the classic police revolver look, and are a blast to shoot. You cant go wrong, good examples of both can be found in the $350 dollar price range. even less if finish isnt a concern for you

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    sw-10-5.jpg
    Here is mine. It was my Dads. It is a great gun and fun to shoot.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    They're aren't anything special, but they've got everything you could need in a defensive revolver.

They are also quite plentiful and can be had for VERY reasonable prices, given what you're getting. I can't say I'd avoid a certain series.

I prefer full target stock and adjustable sights, so I'm very fond of the Model 19, but the 10 is no slouch.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a 4" with pencil barrel and round butt. I bought it used and there is a lot of finish wear, but the thing shoots very well with 158 gr. bullets. Although they have tiny sights, I've never heard of anyone complain about their accuracy. It may very well be the best, first handgun to own.

Top Bottom