• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup, I sold a pristine 586 for something like $275 about 25 years ago and bought a 617 for about the same price brand new.

In 1995 or so, I bought a police trade-in 686 4-inch for $300. At the time, that was a little spendy too! Model 19s and 66s were readily available for less. WHO KNEW??!!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    In 1995 or so, I bought a police trade-in 686 4-inch for $300. At the time, that was a little spendy too! Model 19s and 66s were readily available for less. WHO KNEW??!!
    I've read before that the limited runs of 3" model 66 snubbies were coming out right around the same time the plastic semi-autos were gaining traction, and they lingered on LGS shelves. Man oh man, to go back in time and snag a few of those to sock away, those 3" models are $alty if you can find one in good condition, and downright crazy if the original box and papers are with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've read before that the limited runs of 3" model 66 snubbies were coming out right around the same time the plastic semi-autos were gaining traction, and they lingered on LGS shelves. Man oh man, to go back in time and snag a few of those to sock away, those 3" models are $alty if you can find one in good condition, and downright crazy if the original box and papers are with it.

I sold one for a customer on gunbroker a couple of years ago...They were a run done for U S Customs Service IIRC...The LNIB un fired I sold went for $1600...Probably would go for more now....

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I sold one for a customer on gunbroker a couple of years ago...They were a run done for U S Customs Service IIRC...The LNIB un fired I sold went for $1600...Probably would go for more now....
    Whoa. I knew they got up north of $1K, but in unfired condition with box and papers, I can see it commanding that kind of price.

My budget doesn't quite lean that direction. I did jump on the 66-8 snubby when they were introduced last year, and even with new grips and a FO front sight, it didn't end up at half the price as the 3" you sold. I also installed a Wilson Combat spring kit with the 13# TRS. It's a honey of a trigger (DA was surprisingly heavy out of the box), and so far it's run 100%.

I have an unfired twin of this, so who knows... with so many morally unwilling to step into S&W's current revolver models, maybe someday this will be collectible as well.

gGJdPyi.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Thanks, but I have to admit it's not very fun owning something that you don't want to take out and enjoy. Last year I had an offer for a Dan Wesson 1911 trade plus a little cash on my end for this beauty and I passed on it. Thinking maybe I should have reconsidered... :dunno:

Anywho, It's nice that S&W is bringing it back and i'm sure it's just fine with the ILS but personally not for me. Nostalgia for me maybe with the older design cuz let's face it, the ILS would still be nice for the range. I just wouldn't trust my life to it for carry.

Top Bottom