• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    I am rebluing my brothers S&W model 13 .357 mag. I have taken a lot of guns apart! But never a revolver. Any thoughts on how hard it is to take the guts out and put back in?:dunno:

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    It's not to hard, go slow. Having an exploded view is handy, check Brownells website. One hint, don't pry the sideplate off with a screwdriver. If you tap the gun against something, it will come off.

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Yeah i watched a video on the cylinder removal and side plate. But a few people went on and on about not removing the guts. I consider myself fairly handy when it comes to taking guns apart and fixing them. Probably should have parts view to be safe.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I may or may not have tried it once, and I may or may not have had to take it to a gunsmith to get it working properly afterwards......... A lot of little pieces that are way more complicated than first glance.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    When I tear something down that I am not familier with I take pictures, a lot of pictures. That helps with orientation when reassembling. And as Fireaxes said, having an exploded view is handy.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Just jump right on in with both feet and your eyes closed.......;)

Have the number of a good gunsmith handy.
    Seriously, just take your time and have an illustrated parts breakdown***,good luck.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Try these vids....very helpful when I did a complete teardown for the first time. Its always a good thing to take pics in a sequence to make sure you get it back together right. Especially the 1st time :):

Now he expressly states in the first video that he is not taking it completely apart, however, he gets you through the basics and the rest is pretty straightforward. The cylinder stop spring can be difficult (one of the last few parts), but a small flat head screw driver should make it easier. Also, be sure not to accidentally bend the washers that go over the studs.

Also, what was said in this thread about the rebound spring is true....it's easy to loose and a challenge to get back in, so be patient.

If you are in my area I may be able to help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KneMUM9rfw4[/ame]

Then:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SyZpmw1K-A[/ame]

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh, make sure you have the proper screwdriver bits to remove the plate screws. You not want to knacker them up:

.030" Flat for Plate Disassembly (Yoke/Plate Screws) ....is what worked best for me, but older revolvers have one screw that is different and you may need a different size for it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Other than the aforementioned properly fitting screwdrivers, having one other thing helps immeasurably to make the process a whole lot less of a potential PITA: a rebound spring removal/intallation tool. Available from Brownell's and worth several times the modest cost (< $20) especially compared to trying to have a third hand grafted-on. B-Square also makes a bit for the task that fits their (and no doubt some others') "socket-head" gunsmith screwdriver set. Highly recommended, unless of course you already have that 3rd hand.

Top Bottom