• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have shot steel and pins long enough to know for a fact that the .45 will whack pins and poppers much harder than a 357. A 4 in. 625 is the perfect carry revolver. Big heavy bullets at medium speed will solve your problem.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am thinking of picking up a new revolver. I can't decide if I want 45acp or 357. I am looking at the 625 or the 627. I would like a 4" barrel, but not sure if the performance center is worth the extra for me. If I have the free time this coming year I would like to do the bowling pin shoots with a revolver. Also be used for target shooting. I have the capability to reload either round and like the idea of the moon clips. Any benifits of one over the other?

If you want a gun to shoot bowling pins then I'd lean toward something in .45 ACP. More knockdown power and faster reloads. Only reason to go with .357 would be if you got one that holds 8 rounds.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The .357 mag. and .44 mag. revolvers might well be the 2 most versatile handguns extant, with perhaps a slight nod to the venerable .357. From 'mild to wild', these two handguns can be loaded with ammunition (whether factory or home reloads) to accommodate virtually any situation for which a handgun could / should be utilized.

And no company seems to do it better than S&W.

Strictly for bowling pins, IMO the .45 may be the choice. But if the revolver is going to be used for bowling pins AND anything else, the .357 may be the better choice (between those two).

Personal favorite is the S&W Mdl. 629 4" with a custom cylinder machined to use moon clips. On the belt, 2 moon clips can be carried in (approximately) the same space as 1 HKS or Safariland speedloader. So, 4 reloads with the same 2 speedloader cases. And the revolver is easily converted back to the standard cylinder if desired.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    if it were me, I'd look around for an older Smith. I have been seeing model 19s all over the place.

I would tend to agree with this statement. While I do own several modern production S&W's, I'm of the opinion that their older models are superior to their current line of firearms. As for their Performance Center, I don't know if I'm sold on that concept right now. I wonder just how much hand-crafting and attention to detail actually goes into one of their PC guns. Me personally, I'm not sure how much value you're getting for that PC being stamped on the side of your new gun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I would tend to agree with this statement. While I do own several modern production S&W's, I'm of the opinion that their older models are superior to their current line of firearms. As for their Performance Center, I don't know if I'm sold on that concept right now. I wonder just how much hand-crafting and attention to detail actually goes into one of their PC guns. Me personally, I'm not sure how much value you're getting for that PC being stamped on the side of your new gun.

I agree with the PC statement as I have said before I do action work on S&W revolvers (competition and carry) and there is nothing I've seen inside a PC gun that shows "hand-crafting and attention to detail" above a standard S&W revolver. The PC guns usually have different barrel lengths and profiles and different grips and sometimes different sights. Their action work is reduced power springs. I have never seen any signs if stoning or polishing inside of one of them.
    I have seen PC guns that would barely run when they come into the shop.

I have to disagree about the old guns being better than the new ones. The old one are machined like crap on the inside(the new ones are much better) and the "forged parts" that every one wants are hit and miss on the fit and finish and machine work. The MIM parts are IMO FAR SUPERIOR to the forged parts. The fit and finish is excellent and MUCH more consistent. I have seen a couple of MIM parts that were defective from the factory but that pales in comparison to number of defective forged parts I have seen.

Parts for the old smiths are getting hard to find and if you want a gun to shoot and keep running the new ones with parts available is the way to go. Those of us that shoot competition put lots of rounds thru our revolvers and parts to keep them in top shape is important.
    If you want to collect them or have a safe queen there are plenty of older(not necessarily better) guns for that also.

That being said ANY manufacture can and will put out lemons every once in a while.
    The reason the old guns have such a good reputation IMO is not because they are better but they didn't have to deal with the internet.
    Used to be if you got a bad gun you told 5-10 of your friends and that was it. Now they post online and thousands of people read about it and repeat it.

I don't really care what a gun looks like but how it works is the important thing. Even the guns I've worked on that were not right still functioned just not as well as they could have. A lot of times I fix things that are not really wrong just not like I want them which is why I have so many hours in a competition trigger job.

I love S&W revolvers but I spend a lot of time inside of them and I have a different outlook than the person that has one in the safe and maybe shoots a couple of box's of ammo thru them a year. I do think they are the best looking revolver made today( I did like the Colts also).

Old or New shoot them and enjoy them.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 625 can be a pretty versatile for the handloader, my 5 inch 625 can shoot everything from light target loads up to the 460 Rowland (Clark can ream out the cylinder for you).

45assortbcopy.jpg

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I really like the moon clips however I need a demooner tool. I would like a fiber optic front sight after figuring out the size I need. Also need to decide on moon clip types and types of bullets to load up. Like I said such tough decisions.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You guys are a bad influence! Now I'm looking for a 627 and a 57/657. For some odd reason, I'm on the smith & Wesson kick....man this one is gonna cost me for sure!

Top Bottom