• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Bosshoss is correct; you are not limited to just one. I have both: two 5" 625s (one for bullseye and one for steel plates) and a PC 627 5". I also have a 5" 629. The feel and balance of a 5" N-frame is very nice. I never cared for the 4" barrel length. The 5" seems to have a better balance and a little longer sight radius. Moonclips make reloads very fast, but the 45s seem to load faster than the 38s. Also, moonclips make brass recovery easy.

I have a couple PC guns from S&W. They are nice, but I do my own trigger work, so that is not why I would get one. I wanted the PC 627 because it had the 5" barrel. The pro model is the 4" barrel. The 625 PC is 4", that's why I did not get one of them.

One nice feature on the 627 is the front sight is easily changeable and you can add fiber optic, gold bead, or whatever type of sight you like. Adding the fiber optic front sight to my 625 took more work and can be a little tricky. I use Moonclips from Ranch Products for both models. They are very good, dependable clips and are the best price I've seen for moonclips.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I had a 625 model of 88 when they first came out. Nice gun. I got tired of the moon clips.
    There are better tools for getting the cartridges in and out of the clips now. It was a pain then.
    The 357 models can work without the clips. Only if you needed a quick reload would you
    have to use them.
    I sort of switched to the small bore because of the amount of lead in each round.
    I could load twice as many for the same amount of lead. Paper punching doesn't need a big bore.
    Bowling pins on the other hand like the big bore. But if you use a 200 grain 357 at 1000 fps
    and it tumbles, that bowling pin is airborne.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Is the mooncliptool worth the price? Does anybody know if Ranch Products goes to the 1500? Looks like they are reasonably close and from what I read have the cheapest prices on moon clips.

For or those who couldn't tell I picked up the 627 Pro. I just didn't care for the way the grips feel on the 625 and did not want to replace grips yet.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Congrats on the 627.
    I'm away from the computer so I can't attach links.
    Mooning and demooning tools.
    BMT is the best by far. NOTHING comes close. A little expensive but worth it.
    Moonclip tools are OK.
    You can make or buy a tube type demooner. Brownells and others sell them.
    Can gently use pliers to load the clips if cheap is what you are after.

Revolver supply company has a good supply of clips and tools for 627's.
    4Wheelguns also sells revolver stuff.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have never used a tool to load moonclips. The 7-shot is kind of tough, but the 8-shot is easily loaded by hand. The 6-shot 46 is a little tougher than the 8-shot, but I set the round on a table and push the moonclip onto it. Works fine.

As for demooning, I use a piece of small pipe with a notch cut out. Works the same way as the tool Brownells sells. Here is a picture:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/demoon-comp-245-s.jpg

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I really like the moon clips however I need a demooner tool. I would like a fiber optic front sight after figuring out the size I need. Also need to decide on moon clip types and types of bullets to load up. Like I said such tough decisions.

Best loader/unloader for moonclips in the world-BMT Equipped, Inc.

I have one and it makes loading and unloading a breeze. It's not cheap, but if you shoot as much as I do, it's better than using your fingers or a section of pipe.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    This revolver is getting expensive. I went with the buy once cry once approach today. BMT loader, 75 moon clips from Ranch Products, 1000 bullets to get started, and XL650 conversion kit for the press. Good thing is after these 1000 rounds are loaded, the savings more than cover the cost of these items. Hopefully everything shows up by next Friday.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Ordered the BMT loader Monday and recieved it today. Price is steep,but for the ease of loading and unloading the moon clips I believe it is worth it. If i pick up another S&W cut for moonclips, I will factor in the cost of the BMT loader into the price of the revolver.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Ordered the BMT loader Monday and recieved it today. Price is steep,but for the ease of loading and unloading the moon clips I believe it is worth it. If i pick up another S&W cut for moonclips, I will factor in the cost of the BMT loader into the price of the revolver.

IMO the BMT loader/unloader is worth it. It runs rings around the other loaders and using just your fingers.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Congrats on the new gun! I think you will appreciate the ability to use the gun without clips, on times when you just want to plink with the gun.

Smith factory triggers are heavy. You may find it needs an action job for shooting pins or other action sports. All DA action jobs involve lightening the hammer spring to some extent, which can and will affect reliable ignition. A lot of people will tell you things like, "My DA is 8 lbs. and it never misses a beat," etc. Your results may vary. When you get down below 10 lbs. DA, you may find you need to use Federal primers (1st choice) or Winchester. The other "aftermarket" primer brands sold as components seem to be made "harder" for home reloading safety (so gomers are less likely to crush and set them off in presses, I guess). A lightened DA may not provide enough punch to set them off. I'm not saying don't get your gun worked on; by all means do it. Just be aware that there are some technical aspects that will come into play. There is a reason the factory makes them ~13 lbs....because they want to produce a gun the average buyer can stake their life on no matter what. Sport shooting is another matter, and you just have to balance everything properly for it to work.

Bowling pin shooting is a momentum game. In my 44 mag, I found it took a power factor of 210 to plant the pins to my satisfaction. I remember reading that Jerry Miculek, who had one of the fastest times ever recorded in pin shooting, used a .357 Model 27 in the old days with the 8+ inch barrel. It was also written that he used 200gr. bullets loaded in 38 special cases to do that, and at pressure levels that are off the chart in the reloading books. Just want you to know what you're up against with this caliber. If you use standard .357 loads, expect to be doing some speed reloads in competition now and then.

Have fun, that's a nice piece of kit :rockwoot:

Last edited:

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    I have shot pins successfully with a 625 4 inch. If you get to the upper levels of pins you'll likely not miss often. I have to reload sometimes. The reloads can be very quick with the 625. I have not tried a reload in a 627. Some of the USPSA shooters use 38 colt and 38 short colt in the 627 - the shorter cases reload better. A 929 might be another option - 147 9mm seems to work OK.

I would lean to the 627 because my local range shoots a star competition in the winter - 6 rounds (5 for the star and one for the popper). A 627 or 929 would be better for USPSA.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I gotta say that I've shot a lot of revolvers in my years and just love 'em. My favorite is the model 25-2 Smith & Wesson 45acp with moon clips or if I can find them the 45 auto rim cartridge. The S&W N frame IMO is the best heavy revolver set up out there, except for maybe a Colt Python from back in the day. Having said all that the S&W 686 is a worthy contender and number three on my list of favorite wheel guns. I've shot that model and it ranks right up there.
    I'm showing my age here but wheel guns just feel right and in the steady hand can out shoot most semi autos. Again, in my opinion. I certainly don't mean to start a spirited discussion here just placing my two cents on the table.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    How about a S&W Model 27 .357 magnum with 6" barrel. Can shoot .357 all day long and not even notice you were shooting a .357 magnum.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have the 627PC with the 5" barrel.Gold bead front sight great for the old guy with old eyes.The best trigger on any gun I have ever owned.When ever I get thinking I can not shoot the revolver very well any more out comes the 627, Yes I Can.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    theysayisagorilla
    Top Bottom