• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    There are plenty of good deals to be had in the classifieds...but you need to get your post count up. Make sure your posts are relevant and worthwhile, or they will be removed. Taurus makes good affordable revolvers, but you can also find used Smith and Wessons for under $400

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Anything reasonably priced in Smiths, that 4" barrel and mangle-um is becoming more and more expensive. Finding a used Smith .357 for under 400 is getting harder, as greedy stores are beginning to mark up popular guns like that. If you said Ruger, that would be a different case, but folks tend to hang onto Smiths. The days of the $200 Smith model 10 are over, as old timers are starting to figure out.

You may want to take a look at Premier Arms in Brownsburg. They have a HUGE (compared to most stores locally) selection of Smith revolvers, lots of service style situations like you want. I got a Smith 19-3 and a (JUST TODAY!!! :D ) Smith 65-3 3" from there. His pricing is a bit up, however, you can talk him down a little bit (make sure you talk to Bryce or Nick, tell him that Vern sent ya!).

A better option is to look out for any police or security outfit trade ins. The days of those being around are all but gone, but here and there you find some. Bradis used to have a ton, not so much anymore, but they usually have a good selection of .357s. Plainfield is okay, but if they get one, its gone out the door same hour as his pricing is slightly better than most folks. If you wanted a 4" service Smith stainless .38, J&G has a TON of surplused Model 64s for under 300 bucks with shipping and FFL. Something to think about!

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Smith & Wesson 686 four inch in stainless with walnut grips....picked one up at the 1500 a year or so ago for 500. Great piece, dead accurate and fun to shoot.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    IMO, the Model 19 is the most perfect all around .357 magnum. You can find plenty of them used. A model 66 is pretty much the same thing, only stainless steel. I prefer the looks of the bluing, but that is purely an aesthetic preference.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Any of the Smiths would be a good choice, but consider the Smith model 24 or 624 in .44 Special. Big bullet, lower recoil, N frame size with round butt.

A 4" K frame (M19 or M66) with full power .357 loads is a handful. Even in L frame guise, full power .357 loads are a handful.

The K frames were not designed to have a steady diet of full power .357 loads. They were initially designed when coppers qualified with wadcutters, and carried magnum loads.

I went through three sets of hammers, triggers, and cylinder stops 27 years ago with my 4" M66 because I always shot Magnums through it, and kept beating it "out of time."

Points to consider.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Model 28s were great revolvers, solid N frames and the non reflective finish would be a plus for hunting.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    If you plan on shooting a lot of .357 Magnum, choose a larger frame like an L (586 & 686) or N Frame (27 & 28). The L's & N's hold up to heavy recoil much better on a steady diet of .357's than K frames do.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    Be careful. Once the pre-lock smith bug bites you you're probably gona be hooked for life. Just wanted to let you know of a friend's experience at the show trying to sell his post-lock smiths. Both of them have had their issues with timing or the cylinder rotating the opposite way on recoil. While he did sell them within the first hour of the show Sat. I don't know how many complaints we heard about the ugly @ss hole on the side and what it presumably can mean. That being said I personally will never buy a post-lock if nothing but for the resale value. He lost about a $150 on the deal but he wanted a reliable pre-lock and found a gorgeous mod 29 44 mag. Keep searching there are some decent deals out there. I have seen several 686 pre-lock 4" for about $450. Course I always find them when I don't have the dough. Happy hunting.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I too have been considering an S&W revolver, but I really do not one with the internal lock. I thought I had read somewhere the S&W was going to be dropping the internal lock going forward, but I cannot find where I had read that. Does anyone know if they are dropping the internal lock on the new revolvers?

Top Bottom