• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Front night sight halo fell off on a M&P9 while at the range 3 days ago. Emailed Smith & Wesson and 3 days later I receive a response requesting the firearm be returned for service for a turn-around-time of 6 to 8 weeks. This isn't a safe queen and I was planning to use it in a class mid-September. I've heard great things about S&W service turn-around of 2 to 3 weeks and now I'm not sure what to think. Is this the industry standard these days? What is Glock's recent turn-around time?

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I hope that's not the case... I just had Bradis send off my Shield 2 weeks ago for a mis-aligned factory sight... I was hoping to get it back soon.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I called to confirm the long delay with S&W sadly it is what it is. One reason for the delay is the factory closing for 2 weeks with today being their last day. I returned a Kahr for service recently and the turn-around was 9 days.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Frankly, over many years, I always thought that a 6 week turn-around on a factory repair was the accepted normal wait. I have found that usually the gun is returned sooner. I also think, since S&W is at a point of making record sales, that their repair shop is taking in more work than in previous years. Unfortunately, they can't just add extra unskilled employees to keep up with the increase in workload.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    And record profits are pouring in. With a little advertising it would be little problem for S&W to attract trained armorers. I believe we make too many excuses for companies whose business model is to dissuade customers from using their service departments with long waiting times. I sent a Kahr in for service in late spring this year and had it back nine days later. I requested service for my M&P 5 days ago and I don't even have a shipping label at this time.

The strategy is effective, I'm looking for a gunsmith in north central Indiana to replace the front sight on a M&P.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And record profits are pouring in. With a little advertising it would be little problem for S&W to attract trained armorers. I believe we make too many excuses for companies whose business model is to dissuade customers from using their service departments with long waiting times. I sent a Kahr in for service in late spring this year and had it back nine days later. I requested service for my M&P 5 days ago and I don't even have a shipping label at this time.

The strategy is effective, I'm looking for a gunsmith in north central Indiana to replace the front sight on a M&P.

Not sure exactly where you are located, but Bradis has M&P armorers on staff. You would need to make sure what days they are working. Any S&W M&P armorer should be able to take care of it. The M&P front factory sights have been notorious for having issues. You'll be better off replacing it with a non OEM sight anyway.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    X2 on what WebSnyper said about replacing the front sight with an aftermarket. We have sent my son's M&P back to S&W twice for a front sight that kept drifting. They "fixed" it twice. Then the white dot paint popped out. No big deal on the paint but it just becomes not worth messing with the bad front sight. By the time you send it back twice and repaint the front sight you may as well just accept it and put night sights on it right away.

IF you don't see that shipping label real soon then I would call them. The first time I was going to send my son's back they said they were sending the label. After a long wait I finally called and found it had not been sent.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    U can get a nice set of night sights with install for about 100 bucks...at least that is what I would charge if u r in nw indiana

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I have the Pro FS thinking that the night sights alone would be worth the $100 premium over the basic model. Using hind sight I should have purchased the lower priced model and put in an Apex package and after market night sights. Common wisdom indicated this route but I'm in an area with few resources, Miami county.

My back-up gun which I initially thought of taking to the September class is a PPQ M2 purchased in March but there are no mags to be found. I'm finding it hard to catch a break this year with 2 broken guns and no mags for a third one.

I may yet decide to replace the factory night sights with aftermarket. I could mail the slide for replacement and perhaps have it back in a couple of weeks which would afford time to prep for class.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Let me think about this one.................

Who produces more handguns, Smith & Wesson or Kahr Arms!

So, With EVERY Gun manufacturer months behind in production, please explain to me where "with a little advertising" S&W will find competent armorers. I am sure they too, would like to know.

Just my thoughts!

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but S&W sales are only up 12% at mid year. If wouldn't be a herculean task to increase the service department by this rate but it is my contention they are not going to. Why? Profit and greed. Also by not supporting Walther any longer they should be shortening not increasing service times. Their system of service is intentionally slow if the issuance of shipping labels is any guide. No way it should take a week to get a label.

Don't get me wrong I like my M&P even if it does need service before 500 rounds though I would switch it out with my PPQ if I could only find magazines. But I can not agree with those who make excuses for poor service.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    Just to update... I got a call from Bradis on Friday letting me know my Sheild was back from S&W!!! All in all a 3 week turn around.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Just to update... I got a call from Bradis on Friday letting me know my Sheild was back from S&W!!! All in all a 3 week turn around.

Now the question is should you just send it back again now since the sight will probably move again anyway?

Glad you got it back in a pretty timely fashion. I hope it stays good for you.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but S&W sales are only up 12% at mid year. If wouldn't be a herculean task to increase the service department by this rate but it is my contention they are not going to. Why? Profit and greed. Also by not supporting Walther any longer they should be shortening not increasing service times. Their system of service is intentionally slow if the issuance of shipping labels is any guide. No way it should take a week to get a label.

Don't get me wrong I like my M&P even if it does need service before 500 rounds though I would switch it out with my PPQ if I could only find magazines. But I can not agree with those who make excuses for poor service.
    You would be wrong, it is takes a while to train someone to do what the gunsmiths at factories do. Another thing is that it wouldn't be prudent for a company to put forth the capital to hire and train an increased workforce based on a temporary increase in demand. I would think that a lot of returns are by new gun owners for very minor problems. Looks like the suggestion to have a S&W factory approved armorer to handle some of the minor problems would be a good idea, if one is available close-by. I've noticed over the years that people are more impatient and want it all and want it now.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I feel I should update after complaining about a 6-8 week turn-around estimate by S&W. I just received notice the firearm will be delivered this week which is actually quite good in my opinion considering this period includes a 2 week shutdown. Total time including the wait for a label will be a little over 4 weeks.

However, I still maintain the the estimate of 6-8 weeks estimate is too long when the handgun was to be used for a scheduled training class. The anticipation of this weapon not being ready for this class cost me hundreds of dollars equipping my backup. But the way I see it this is the cost of relying solely on one platform and now I'm at least prepared in the event of up to one failure.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Ruger service turn around, five days. Sent them my LC9 to get fixed and they had it back to me in five days. It was two days there and two back so they fixed in in the one day they had it.

That's why I pay less and get more from Ruger. ;)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was shooting my M&P 9mm for the first time a couple of months back and the white paint popped out of the front sight. Since it was so new, I was tempted to send it back, but at the suggestion of some INGO guys, I got me some flat white Testors paint and re-painted it myself. She was back in action the next weekend, problem solved. I've heard the paint popping out of sights is not an uncommon thing and you have to think that, like others have said, the back-log is partly from people sending them back for stuff like that.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I was shooting my M&P 9mm for the first time a couple of months back and the white paint popped out of the front sight. Since it was so new, I was tempted to send it back, but at the suggestion of some INGO guys, I got me some flat white Testors paint and re-painted it myself. She was back in action the next weekend, problem solved. I've heard the paint popping out of sights is not an uncommon thing and you have to think that, like others have said, the back-log is partly from people sending them back for stuff like that.

If my sights weren't night sights I would have done the same.

Top Bottom