• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Never owned one but I heard the trigger action is similiar to the taurus millenium which is enought to make me stay far, far away from them.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The newer Sigmas are not as bad as the 1st generation that came out in the early 90's. I was issued a 1st Gen Sigma at IUPUI PD (sadly they still carry them) and I hated that POS with a passion. I saw slides falling off while firing, magazines explode, pieces break-off inside jamming up the pistol, ect. I qualified expert on one even with the 1 million pound trigger. I eventually traded it in and carried my own Glock 23C. It is a one gun Dept so your duty gun was the only gun you could carry off-duty and no back-ups. That Sigma was a brick when I carried it IWB.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I picked one of the 40 s&w up at the 1500. So far I have put 100rds through it and had no ftf or fte. The finish is no where near the quality of say a Glock. Accuracy is definitly lacking. Aiming at the center of a target at 12yrds place my shoots about a foot lower on a target below.It does seem to kick quite a bit. I have never shot any other handguns in .40 s&w so I do not have any thing to directly compare to. Although my 1911 .45 has much less recoil.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    A sigma would be good car or night stand gun. For the price with rebate and extra mags. Its the kind of gun that you dont care if it gets knocked around as long as it fires when you need it.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Never owned one but I heard the trigger action is similiar to the taurus millenium which is enought to make me stay far, far away from them.
    I had one, twice returned to the factory for breakage !!!! I love my Taurus Millienum PT145 PRO .45 ACP This vid is the older model tho
    YouTube - PT145 Millennium Disassembly (Millennium Pro Series)

I figured I'd throw this jackass letting his squirrel fire a DE .50 in for fun !!
    YouTube - My Wife -vs- the Desert Eagle .50

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I purchased a Sigma 40VE. Unfortunatly, I'm taking it to the range for the first time today. I've only had it 3 weeks!!! LOL I do seem to have a problem when I insert a full 14 round mag, the mag doesn't seem to seat all the way as the rounds seem to rattle. I took out 3 rounds and this seemed to take care of the problem. Is this a danger to the gun or make it dangerous to fire? The rounds chamber and eject just fine... Like you said, you get what you pay for. I'm thinking my next gun will be an XD, but I'm not sure about the backside-grip safety. Let me know what you think about that too. Thanks!

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have put 300 rds through mine without any jams.

The rebate paper work is going in the mail today. *Gimme my mags! :)*

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    With what Rhino has said...

My experience with them is on the earlier models, and I've never seen one finish a basic pistol course without breaking. If S&W has somehow improved them, I'd be more than happy to take a second look - I just don't see the point when the M&P is out there and works just fine.

They have developed a nickname in the training community - "The Smegma." [pre-apologies for the boarderline R-rating there]

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok today we go to Atterbury's range for some fun and excitement. I'll post my experiance with my sigma. Maybe I can get some video too. We'll see. Anyway, I'm still concerned about this mag problem. I know it's not incorrect ammo, it just seems like maybe the spring in the clip is too weak for a full load maybe? Anyone else had this problem???? Also how long does this rebate take? A couple months maybe? Not looking forward to only using two mags at the range but 2 is better than 1! LOL

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok today we go to Atterbury's range for some fun and excitement. I'll post my experiance with my sigma. Maybe I can get some video too. We'll see. Anyway, I'm still concerned about this mag problem. I know it's not incorrect ammo, it just seems like maybe the spring in the clip is too weak for a full load maybe? Anyone else had this problem???? Also how long does this rebate take? A couple months maybe? Not looking forward to only using two mags at the range but 2 is better than 1! LOL

What problem are you having with the mags? I got number 16 in to the mag about twice (in 300 rounds of shooting) I just fill them to 15. I would think that means it has a strong spring...but perhaps my thinking is backwards...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    it's a 14+1 SW40VE. Not the older model. I can only load 12 in one and 11 in the other. Any more than that and they rattle around like they are loose. Went to the range with it today at Atterbury. I'll post my experiance around 3 when i get off work!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Okthe scoop on my sigma. Took it to atterbury and put 100 rounds down the tube. Not one problem mechanical wise. Seems to be a little inaccurate but, then again, it could have to do with the fact that the trigger is soooo hard to squeeze without pulling half way on it first. My hand was shaking so bad by the 3rd round just trying to squeeze one off. Well, after two clipsof being all over the board at 15yds I figured I'd take a break and try my hand at the SKS at 100 yards. 4 of 6 inside of 5 inches isn't a personal best, but without a scope I consider it not to shabby! LOL After a break I decided to go back to the Sigma and try again at 15yds. I started staging the trigger and my patterns closed up and got better. I still think it's accuracy is somewhat flawed. Also with regards to the Mag problem... I went ahead and loaded up all 14 every time. No real issues at all. Yea they still rattle loosely but never jammed, never had any problems whatsoever. Although the trigger is a PAIN IN MY ARSE compared to my father's Sig Sauer P226, and 5 shot Ruger .357, I think I'm going to keep it, train with it, and through training with a heavy trigger I hope to become a better shot with lighter triggers and learn to control my pull of the trigger and STOP THAT SHAKING! LOL

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I have had a Sigma 380 for over seven years. I also have a S&W model 29 44 mag and the 380 wears on your hand worse than the mag. What I don't like about the gun is there is no manual safety so I never keep it chambered, which makes it a poor choice for a PT gun. I think it is well made but am sorry I ever bought it.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How heavy is this trigger on the Sigma? I have a Glock and people on this board will tell you the pull seems a bit heavier than a stock Glock even through it has all stock parts.... but it doesn't give me any pain. :):

I would train with the pistol you plan on fighting with.

Instead of shooting at 15 yrds why don't you bring that target in closer and really work on a smooth pull. Also I suggest dry fire practice. I find that helps more than anything.

Okthe scoop on my sigma. Took it to atterbury and put 100 rounds down the tube. Not one problem mechanical wise. Seems to be a little inaccurate but, then again, it could have to do with the fact that the trigger is soooo hard to squeeze without pulling half way on it first. My hand was shaking so bad by the 3rd round just trying to squeeze one off. Well, after two clipsof being all over the board at 15yds I figured I'd take a break and try my hand at the SKS at 100 yards. 4 of 6 inside of 5 inches isn't a personal best, but without a scope I consider it not to shabby! LOL After a break I decided to go back to the Sigma and try again at 15yds. I started staging the trigger and my patterns closed up and got better. I still think it's accuracy is somewhat flawed. Also with regards to the Mag problem... I went ahead and loaded up all 14 every time. No real issues at all. Yea they still rattle loosely but never jammed, never had any problems whatsoever. Although the trigger is a PAIN IN MY ARSE compared to my father's Sig Sauer P226, and 5 shot Ruger .357, I think I'm going to keep it, train with it, and through training with a heavy trigger I hope to become a better shot with lighter triggers and learn to control my pull of the trigger and STOP THAT SHAKING! LOL

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I never shot a Glock so have nothing to compair to but if I remember correctly it does have a hard pull, especially the first round. I carry a 357mag revolver for PP as I don't want to worry about jams. Vietnam vet that knows how to use a gun and love those wheel guns. If you need more than six shots don't carry a gun for PP as you can't shoot worth a crap. Just my opinion.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Well..... FWIW, my boss got a new one and less than a month later he wished that he hadn't bought it. When the gunsmith told him there was no real way to smooth out that nasty trigger pull he was pretty bummed. I told him to take it to the 1500 and sell it outright. :dunno:

:cheers:

Top Bottom