• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    Just wondering what everyone's opinion on the sigma series was. In the past couple of months I have had a few friends ask about them. They were intrigued by the price and that it was a Smith. I do have a couple of buddies that have them, and they both like them, but those are the only handguns they own. I have never shot one, but have fondeled them at the gun shop and was not impressed on how it felt in my hand. My self, I am more of a Glock guy.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think if you're used to more modern/higher-end guns, its "charm" will be lost on you. That trigger...it leaves a lot to be desired.

For someone just starting out, though; that will be all they've ever known, and they might like it. Who knows what that will do to their shooting form though, and how it might affect them if they ever move on to other firearms.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was really close to buying one, liked the feel of it in my hand, came with multiple mags. Then I squeezed the trigger, then I bought a Glock instead. For me with the guns I have been buying/shooting lately it's all about the trigger. That's why I got rid of my Kel-Tec P-11, horrible long stiff trigger. Just my 2 cents.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    A Wolf spring and a little work do a lot for the trigger. The M & P has a better one from the factory and an M & P Pro is near perfect....

Bigdad_e875

Still here...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok for a first gun maybe, or if your on a budget, but in the end its better to just spend alittle more and get something better and likely what you really wanted to begin with..my .02

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    A Wolf spring and a little work do a lot for the trigger. The M & P has a better one from the factory and an M & P Pro is near perfect....

This holds much water.

I removed the pigtail spring, dry fired with snap caps (a ton), and it seemed to do much better. The trigger is still a bit gritty, and it's pull is to hard for my liking.

All in all, it's a decent shooter for the price. It's just not something I'd buy again (in a different caliber). One is enough for me.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    first semi i ever bought. The trigger wasnt too bad because my only other gun was a Smith 642. :) And the trigger does soften up a little bit with use. I didn't notice a huge difference between the trigger on my Sigma and M&P .45....neither are all that great.

The 9VE I had was 100% reliable right out of the box. It ate every type of ammo I could feed it and was definitely SD/HD accurate. I really liked the feel of the grip and the ergonomics of the Sigma. In fact, I liked it more than my M&P.

One definite downside is the rail, though Smith may have made it a standard one by now. For $250-300, the Sigma was a great carry gun. I have seriously been considering getting a SD9 because I actually miss it.

ymmv

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For the price they are not bad guns. Very reliable, just not the best trigger. For new shooters who are not used to a specific trigger the Sigma is not that bad. Once they fire other handguns they may decide they want something else. Personally I like Glocks and that is what I am used to and I know cannot stand the Sigma trigger, but I am used to the Glock trigger. My first handgun was a Ruger P95, great gun 100% reliable and I loved it...Until I found Glocks;). Now I dont know how I was able to shoot it with that trigger! Nothing wrong with the Sigma though so if they want one I say go for it. There are plenty of people that really enjoy theie Sigmas.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    I think that I was able to persuade them to buy Glocks. Maybe one of these days I can get my other buddies that have the sigma to do an upgrade also. Thanks for the replies, sums up what I was already thinking.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I received a replacement SW9VE a couple months ago because my previous sigma was a POS and was sent twice for repair to Smith & Wesson so they replaced it with todays version.

I took it out to the range and put 200 rounds thru it with no misfires. One time I loaded both clips with 17 rounds and let it fly as fast and as hard as I could go. No problems.
    The trigger is stiff. I'll say it again the trigger is stiff.

I've heard that if you contact Smith&Wesson they will do a trigger job for you. That's exactly what I've done and am waiting to hear back. If they will do the trigger job then this could be a fairly decent gun for the price.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I started with a SW9VE. IDPA was the game I would shoot. The trigger is what it is. Heavy and mushy. No crisp break. I've shot an M&P and would like to try an SD9 to compare the feel of the gun. USPSA magazine did an article about the SD series and some comparisons to the Sigma and M&P

One thing I can say about a Sigma is I never had a problem with it. Easy to clean, never had a feeding or FTF problem. Was pretty accurate too. Sometimes when I changed mags I'l pinch the skin on the palm of my hand. Just a little bit of skin would hang over the edge of the mag well and SUPRISE!

The polymer gun I shoot the most is a XD9 Tactical. Trigger work, better sights, and a slightly extended mag release. Its a game gun only.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Just wondering what everyone's opinion on the sigma series was. In the past couple of months I have had a few friends ask about them. They were intrigued by the price and that it was a Smith. I do have a couple of buddies that have them, and they both like them, but those are the only handguns they own. I have never shot one, but have fondeled them at the gun shop and was not impressed on how it felt in my hand. My self, I am more of a Glock guy.

I had a SIGMA, you'll have to spend a lot of time getting use to the heavy long trigger pull, I could shoot the SIGMA accurately, but I was shooting it slow & careful not to move the gun as my finger pulled the trigger:(

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Avoid the first generation at all costs. Lots of problems with that first run: Broken striker/firing pin and front sight falling off were common issues. I went through two before I finally decided to get something that could save my life. After the re-tooling, I have heard they are pretty decent in terms of firing when the trigger is pulled. Lots of people complain about the trigger pull, but I never felt it was "horrible." I was able to qualify easily enough when my two Sigmas were functioning.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Avoid the first generation at all costs. Lots of problems with that first run: Broken striker/firing pin and front sight falling off were common issues. I went through two before I finally decided to get something that could save my life. After the re-tooling, I have heard they are pretty decent in terms of firing when the trigger is pulled. Lots of people complain about the trigger pull, but I never felt it was "horrible." I was able to qualify easily enough when my two Sigmas were functioning.

agreed. if you buy a new one, you're good to go. i also didnt mind the trigger. but then again my only other gun at the time was a Smith 642. :):

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Listen, this is just my biased opinion, but I have and carry (most of the time) my SW40VE and it has NEVER failed to function great up thru 1,200 rounds down the tube so far. I really feel the gun gets a bad rap. You are right about the trigger, mine runs about 9 pounds 6 ounces on my trigger gage, but I have large hands and the distal joint of my finger goes easily over the go switch. I carry it with a round chambered, something I would not do with my G19 and its 5 pound trigger pull. Just my personal preference. If you are looking for a good stable shooter to protect yourself with and don't have north of 350$ to spend, then the Sigma will do the job for you. I am saving up for a M&P in .40, but that will take a few more months to get done. When I get that gun, I will alternate between the two Smiths, but the Sigma will always be in the rotation.:twocents:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I will echo what has already been said about the infamous "Sigma trigger" in that it is stiff, but for a self defense pistol, it if fine for me. I'm not a competitive target shooter. I don't shoot past 25 yards, and my 40ve is good out to that range. So I'd say the trigger is not an issue for me. I have owned both the 9 mm and .40 S&W versions, and both have cycled a range of ammo with not problems. For the money, I think the newer moldels are great investments.

Top Bottom