• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I have owned 3 629s - sold my 8 3/8" and still have 2. One is a standard 6 inch and the other is a 6" Classic DX with a Leupold scope - soo accurate and sweet!

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Last Nov I used my 629-4 w/ 6.5 barrel to harvest a buck at 127 yards. I can easily handle 25-35 rounds without pain. love this gun!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The only problem I see with the 629 series of Smith and Wesson revolvers is you sometimes get blinded by the sheer awesomeness of perfection that is the N frame Smith and Wesson...You may look at it and find yourself weeping from it's simple elegance...

To paraphrase artist Wayne White, "They are so beautiful they hurt my feelings."
    If you are so impressed by the awesomeness of the 629-4 try setting your eyes on the beauty of a deep blued 29-3 with 6” barrel. Your eyes will flutter by the classic beauty of the Model 29. Most accurate revolver I’ve got! Go ahead and make your day- get one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you are so impressed by the awesomeness of the 629-4 try setting your eyes on the beauty of a deep blued 29-3 with 6” barrel. Your eyes will flutter by the classic beauty of the Model 29. Most accurate revolver I’ve got! Go ahead and make your day- get one.

I agree. I had a 629 Classic and traded it for a 29 early dash or maybe no dash(I'll have to check). At the time(20+ years ago) on paper, he got a better deal. But we both wanted what the other had so it was a great trade. He was into SS and I was into the Dirty Harry movies.:)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I've got one...A 29-3 made in the mid 80's IIRC.....With stag grips and a Tyler T grip...Because in my teens I read too much of this guy....:)

Elmer+pic+3.jpg

The 629-4 is my "tool/farm/basement" .44 magnum....The 29-3 is my shootable art piece.....:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had four 629's, all -3 or older.
    4" was a hoot.
    8 3/8" was nice on the range.
    6" versions were best overall (hunt/target).
    But still too long for in and out of the truck on the hip.
    Been on the hunt for another -3 4" for general usage.

For me, the 4" max is 50 yards. I can run a 6" to 100yards though.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Anybody remember the TV show Sledge Hammer from the late 80's? Funny show, and I always loved that gun he carried. Figured out a while back it was a 629. Beautiful piece!
    Another one of my wants.

Top Bottom