• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    What if she's crazy. What if she needs training. What if someone comes in the night. What if someone shoots her strong hand.
    I can't wrap my head around anything real here. It's all speculation.

Assuming this does happen, am I going to...
    Wait, what's her problem again?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think I would fit her into the class. Obviously she thinks she's in need of urgent training. Can you get sued if she goes home and murders her boyfriend?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks to everyone who posted in a mature and responsible manner. It is a tough situation with a lot of uncertainty. Without being there in reality it is very difficult to read the person and the situation. I know that. Even being there it is difficult to know what the right answer may be. It would be easy to be wrong in this situation even being there first hand.

Being properly armed means a lot more than having a gun and the ability to make that gun go bang. You need gun-handling skills, marksmanship skills, and mindset to be truly armed. As several/many people have stated upstream that takes time and cannot happen in a few days or a week. But I think there is no time like the present to get started. The sooner I am armed the better off I will be.

I have run into this type of situation a number of times in my life. It is always a trick bag and there is no one answer that fits all situations. I have zero faith in restraining orders preserving life and health. If the victim survives the attack it can help legally. If there is one in place it gives LE the ability to do something if called. But sheer survival and so forth it makes little difference. Getting one should be done but blind faith that it will matter in the moment is not a strong plan.

If a person is properly trained and armed ahead of time as a preventative measure this is a totally different situation. There is comfort in being properly armed that those who are not properly armed cannot understand.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Heavy stuff here Coach. Serious Paul Harvey situation (the rest of the story) with this one. Need more information and this could definitely be out of the lane of a firearms instructor, but not a high school teacher.

Talk in private, find out if this needs to have the Police involved or another entity. In her current state as described it may not be the best time for intro to firearms. Have to get more info, be ready to bring in somebody who is better qualified for the situation.

What is the rest of the story on this one?

I have to spread rep around more before hitting you again. Thanks for posting and contributing.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was going to rep a number of people but I must spread it around first.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry I'm late to this one, but maybe allow her to participate in the training class, with an IOU for the admission fee?

Help her find a gun that fits her hand, along with the other Ladies' Group members, and do some familiarity training.

The motivation she has isn't really something that can be dealt with in that moment (unless there are trained crisis counselors nearby).

If she doesn't want to learn, then that's on her.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Lot's of if and or buts in the conversation...but based upon the OP I would feel ashamed to not help. A little firearms handling and discussion on how they work, maybe a little range time and perhaps she would begin to feel open to discussing the situation and need; but she obviously feels in need (self defense is a human right...where have I heard that before). Walking away would not be an option for me. Based upon the well dressed business professional description I would not immediately assume whacked out crackhead, you can usually read that as clearly as the panic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I’d offer to help her, but let her know I need to know what we’re preparing for in order to best help her. Her response would dictate what I did next. The fact that she’s asked for training tends to indicate she’s expecting to be on the defensive. Too many other ways to take someone out if she’s on the offensive. I think if I did help her I’d try to be as clear as possible that a few hours of training aren’t going to be a huge help and that a better plan could be more useful. If it comes down to it, maybe a little bit of familiarity with a firearm may save her life.

As much as I’d like to rely on letting the police handle it, they can’t sit outside her house 24 hours a day. I would suggest she gets a protective order and try her best to let the police handle it, but she needs to understand the limitations of that plan.

With the protective order the LEO will be aware of a possible situation. If the situation escalates and she has to act in her defense she will have a leg up on our cluttered and sometimes lost system. JMHO

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have mulled this over a little and agree that it's tough to know what to do.
    I would try to have that private conversation that someone suggested above and decide what to do based on that.
    As you say one basic training class doesn't make a person armed but it does make them aware of a ton a crap that they don't know.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It would be tough to know what to do with the time crunch that is going on in such a situation. Finding the right handgun for her and getting her trained up is doable but it is going to take time. Something she just might not have much. A tough situation for certain. I think this is a more common situation that many people realize. I think it is often solved in the gun shop with a snub-nosed revolver and a box of ammo.

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston
    Make the sale. If she has the wits & resources to legally purchase a firearm, I’ll opt that she too has enough to educate herself on how and when to use it.
    Personally, I don’t want the guy at my favorite gun store trying to head-shrink me after a crappy day at work where my grumpy, wild-eyed self decides to stop in and look at the guns & perhaps buy some ammo.
    If your chivalry is strong, drop a few pamphlets about gun safety or defensive firearms training (I hear BFT is good) in the bag with her purchase or perhaps offer to discuss the info with her before she leaves.

This is a great ‘what if’ scenario. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It would be tough to know what to do with the time crunch that is going on in such a situation. Finding the right handgun for her and getting her trained up is doable but it is going to take time. Something she just might not have much. A tough situation for certain. I think this is a more common situation that many people realize. I think it is often solved in the gun shop with a snub-nosed revolver and a box of ammo.

Like Greg's article says, even an hour with a good student can hit most of the high points. Hell of a lot better than a snubby and a "good luck".

I wish gun stores were better at sending people home with quality information to process and review on their own time. Even something as simple as a rack of fliers. Do's and Don't's of self defense in the home. Basic self defense and gun laws in Indiana. Basic maintenance. Basic safe storage. Maybe people are just irrationally scared of the liability of putting information out there, but the more information I consume about firearms and self-defense, the more staggering it is to me that we routinely send people out of the store with a new gun and not even a basic idea how to stay out of jail or the grave. What percentage of gun owners ever lay eyes on a copy of Principles of Personal Defense? 5%? How much good would an FFL be able to do by boiling it down to a 5-page flier and including it with every firearm for free? If freakin' LaRue can send me a full copy of the Constitution with every trigger purchase, we can give people some good free information with their $500 gun purchase.

But perhaps, before that can happen, we need to do something about the firehose of bad information flowing across the counter of too many FFLs in this country. :rolleyes:

/rant, good topic.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Like Greg's article says, even an hour with a good student can hit most of the high points. Hell of a lot better than a snubby and a "good luck".

I wish gun stores were better at sending people home with quality information to process and review on their own time. Even something as simple as a rack of fliers. Do's and Don't's of self defense in the home. Basic self defense and gun laws in Indiana. Basic maintenance. Basic safe storage. Maybe people are just irrationally scared of the liability of putting information out there, but the more information I consume about firearms and self-defense, the more staggering it is to me that we routinely send people out of the store with a new gun and not even a basic idea how to stay out of jail or the grave. What percentage of gun owners ever lay eyes on a copy of Principles of Personal Defense? 5%? How much good would an FFL be able to do by boiling it down to a 5-page flier and including it with every firearm for free? If freakin' LaRue can send me a full copy of the Constitution with every trigger purchase, we can give people some good free information with their $500 gun purchase.

But perhaps, before that can happen, we need to do something about the firehose of bad information flowing across the counter of too many FFLs in this country. :rolleyes:

/rant, good topic.
    You are on point here! I must spread some rep around before giving it to you again. Sorry.

Top Bottom