• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I currently have a XDM .40 4.5" and love it. Easy to shoot and excellent capacity. It stays loaded at home for the wife or I to grab if SHTF.

I am currently waiting for my Personal Protection Permit to show up in the mail and exploring my options. I've been to Beech Grove Firearms twice now to get my hands on a few different guns... XDS 9MM, Kahr CW9, XDM .40SC, and a M&P Shield. I think the XDM Sub-Compact is out of the question because I was something easily concealable in all weather, especially in shorts and tighter fitting t-shirt (plus if I want to carry in winter I could try out my XDM 4.5"). I really like the Springfield. However, at the moment, it's only available in 9MM and .45ACP. I'd love to get another .40 so I don't have to stock different ammo (minor issue I know).

So, the question is if you all feel as though SA will release a XDS in a .40? I've read over on XD Talk and there's mixed opinions.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    So far seems to be vaporware. The 45 appeals to big bore fans, 9 mm to those who want a soft shooter. How much market share remains for the undeservedly maligned 40? Not sure. Would I buy one? You bet.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So far seems to be vaporware. The 45 appeals to big bore fans, 9 mm to those who want a soft shooter. How much market share remains for the undeservedly maligned 40? Not sure. Would I buy one? You bet.

That's exactly how I feel. However, on the flip side, why does any gun company decide to make the three calibers in larger framed guns? Mind you, I'm more of a gun newb, so there may be a better answer for that market.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    That's exactly how I feel. However, on the flip side, why does any gun company decide to make the three calibers in larger framed guns? Mind you, I'm more of a gun newb, so there may be a better answer for that market.

I believe the larger guns are often marketed to LEO agencies. There's as many opinions on the "perfect" carry caliber within the LEO community as without. Hence, if you're going to be a player in the LEO market, you'd best make those full-size duty guns available in whatever is found in a cop's holster, within reason. Don't see too many 357 Sig or 45 GAP guns offered outside their pet manufacturers.

So, 9,40, and 45 will be out there in most of the full size guns for some time to come. Getting a smaller gun to work with the larger calibers is the trick, one that Springfield has done admirably in starting with 45 in the XD-S and the 9mm after.

Can they do a 40? I'd imagine. Is there enough evidence of demand for it? Everybody and their brother talks about how snappy 40 is and talk about how hard to manage in a subcompact package it would be, yet the 45 XD-S shoots so soft, surely the 40 wouldn't be a big deal. Had a Shield 40 that was a sweet shooter, just felt terrible in my hands. I'd like a 40 XD-S to gain an extra round per mag.

But my 45 is my sweetie, not sure what I'd really gain.

Which MAY be the thoughts going through Springfield execs' heads right now...

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I believe the larger guns are often marketed to LEO agencies. There's as many opinions on the "perfect" carry caliber within the LEO community as without. Hence, if you're going to be a player in the LEO market, you'd best make those full-size duty guns available in whatever is found in a cop's holster, within reason. Don't see too many 357 Sig or 45 GAP guns offered outside their pet manufacturers.

So, 9,40, and 45 will be out there in most of the full size guns for some time to come. Getting a smaller gun to work with the larger calibers is the trick, one that Springfield has done admirably in starting with 45 in the XD-S and the 9mm after.

Can they do a 40? I'd imagine. Is there enough evidence of demand for it? Everybody and their brother talks about how snappy 40 is and talk about how hard to manage in a subcompact package it would be, yet the 45 XD-S shoots so soft, surely the 40 wouldn't be a big deal. Had a Shield 40 that was a sweet shooter, just felt terrible in my hands. I'd like a 40 XD-S to gain an extra round per mag.

But my 45 is my sweetie, not sure what I'd really gain.

Which MAY be the thoughts going through Springfield execs' heads right now...

That right there is why I joined. Thanks for your post.

In the end, I don't think I'll wait around too long, holding out for the .40S&W. If I find a 9MM at the right price, I'll probably jump on it. I was considering the Shield .40, but didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I held a Sig that I like the best, but I can't bring myself to drop nearly $700 on one. I feel as though the XDs may be the sweet spot.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I recently picked up an XDs 45 for the wife, and after shooting it, I cant think that the 40 would offer anything but maybe another round in the mag over the .45. I can understand the not wanting to mess with the second caliber, and I started out in the same mentality, but after a bit of thought, I decided to diversify. In the event of another ammo shortage ( I am sure that we havent seen the last of them) I want to have enough options for CC duty in as many calibers as possible. In my mind, this would make it easier to find something to shoot that I already have a gun for ( and have already had a chance to become familiar with).

If you are stuck on the small platform .40, the first thing that comes to mind for me would be the Kahr line of pistols. Pricey, yes, but in my experience they are worth every penny that you spend on them. I have a pocket 9 that I love, mainly because it is scary accurate, and still tiny for a 9mm pistol. I wouldnt expect their .40 pistols in that same size to be any different.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I recently picked up an XDs 45 for the wife, and after shooting it, I cant think that the 40 would offer anything but maybe another round in the mag over the .45. I can understand the not wanting to mess with the second caliber, and I started out in the same mentality, but after a bit of thought, I decided to diversify. In the event of another ammo shortage ( I am sure that we havent seen the last of them) I want to have enough options for CC duty in as many calibers as possible. In my mind, this would make it easier to find something to shoot that I already have a gun for ( and have already had a chance to become familiar with).

If you are stuck on the small platform .40, the first thing that comes to mind for me would be the Kahr line of pistols. Pricey, yes, but in my experience they are worth every penny that you spend on them. I have a pocket 9 that I love, mainly because it is scary accurate, and still tiny for a 9mm pistol. I wouldnt expect their .40 pistols in that same size to be any different.

Thank you very much. I'm not so stuck in my .40 mindset that I wouldn't go with the XDS 9MM. I was really hoping I'd like the Shield, but I just couldn't get a feel for it.

I've heard nothing but good things about Kahr, but, as you said, they're pricey. Worth it? I'm sure they are.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    I have both the 45 acp and 9 mm, Tend to carry the 45 and leave the 9 loaded at the house. Find somebody close to you and try it out before you buy. The 45 is Snappy but very manageable. I hope they don't come out with a .40 because they are like Lay's potato chips you can't have just one.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have both the 45 acp and 9 mm, Tend to carry the 45 and leave the 9 loaded at the house. Find somebody close to you and try it out before you buy. The 45 is Snappy but very manageable. I hope they don't come out with a .40 because they are like Lay's potato chips you can't have just one.

My wife absolutely loves hers in .45. The only things that she has ran through it has been Blazer brass 230 FMJ, and 185 gr XTPs, but neither is even what she considers snappy. Some basis for comparison in her collection, she also has a Ruger LCR 38 Spl, and a PF-9, both of them, in her words, are quite a bit snappier than the XDs in 45.

I just ordered a few boxes of the Federal Guard Dog EFMJ to see if that makes it even more manageable. Im not soo interested in the FMJ aspect as I am the 165gr projectile, and the published ballistics of this round showing an actual increase in power over the average 45 acp hollowpoint. If nothing else, I figure it will be about the same as 165 gr 40 SW in that frame. I will know more when the shipment gets here, and we have a min to put some rounds downrange.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well if you get in this area let me know and you can shoot mine :shoot:. In this day and age ( Gun People ) need to stick together. :ingo:
    I'll keep that in mind. I am going to one of our manufacturing plants in two weeks and one of the managers has the 9MM. I may see if I can shoot his

Top Bottom