Safe for long guns. New or used? Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Read through the information on this page:

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

Also note: A real safe, unless you can get one from a salvage job somewhere, will be way more than $3k for one big enough to store 10-15 long guns. Hint: If it's not at least TL-15 rated, it's not a safe.

Best you can hope for is a good Residential Security Container. And get the best one you can. Johnson Safe out of Zionsville, IN makes a good RSC. And you can outfit up some

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Another layer of security. A list of serial numbers in a seperate place. Any stolen gun run or pawned will have someone attached to it.

I have pictures of the serials of mine on my phone. The guns and the phone being stolen at the same time means I'm dead, so...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a two tone silver Superior 36 gun safe I would love to get rid of. Sold most of my guns and don't need it anymore.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another good video.

[video=youtube_share;6LgKThatkjM]http://youtu.be/6LgKThatkjM[/video]

Whatever safe you buy, bolt it to the floor! Don't let thieves remove it so they can open it at their leisure.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I have a two tone silver Superior 36 gun safe I would love to get rid of. Sold most of my guns and don't need it anymore.

Yeah I'd be interested as well, depending on your location, asking price, model number/Superior series, size and condition of the safe, etc. Maybe post a "for sale" ad?

I'm definitely in the market for a +/- 40-gun safe right now.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Read through the information on this page:

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/

Also note: A real safe, unless you can get one from a salvage job somewhere, will be way more than $3k for one big enough to store 10-15 long guns. Hint: If it's not at least TL-15 rated, it's not a safe.

Best you can hope for is a good Residential Security Container. And get the best one you can. Johnson Safe out of Zionsville, IN makes a good RSC. And you can outfit up some

That's an excellent site, and it provides some alternatives to big expensive safes. But don't ignore the used "real" safe market. If you have some time to wait and watch, TL-15 and TL-30 safes big enough to hold rifles do come available for the same price you would pay for a new Residential Security Container (i.e. "gun safe"). Depending on who is selling they may deliver; more likely have to work that part yourself.

I find the easiest way to search eBay is with Pickclick: https://picclick.com/?q=TL-30. Just entere "TL-30" or "TL-15" in the search bar and you will get screenful of UL tested burglar resistant safes with their prices. Usually you can eyeball it from the picture as two whether they are big enough for a long gun or not. The only problem is I have not found a way in ClickPick to geographically limit the search, so you get the whole country, but other than that it's a nifty way to search quickly.

Watch eBay/pickclick long enough and you will figure out which businesses in your area regularly sell used safes, you can let them know what you're looking for and maybe they will alert you when something comes in.

Happy hunting.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Thought I'd mention a couple things.
    First, after watching several videos about how easy the "cheap” safes are to break into, I'm convinced that it makes a HUGE difference to anchor them (obviously) and to install them in a corner (to limit pry bar access).

Second, if you're near a Sam's club, I picked up a Sports Afield 36 gun safe for $300 out the door yesterday. They aren't carrying them any more, so they are marked down to $349. If they sell out and you get the display model it's another 20% off that. Here's their online add for the safe:
    kbGbzIu.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is no 100% solution, which is not a reason not to pursue a 99% solution. My Ft. Knox went through two burglaries at a friend's house while I was overseas. My guns lost: 0%. His guns lost: 100%. Home burglars are more likely to be addicts and scrappers then Oceans 11. Get a decent safe, have an alarm to limit their time to mess with it, and make sure it's hard to remove from the house.

If you can find used and save money, no reason not to if warranties transfer. If not, calculate that in.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    SecureIt safes look intriguing. Light and affordable, but limited space / options. I always cringe thinking about how to get that huge and heavy safe into my house or basement without serious harm. Does anyone have experience with their products?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    SnapSafe makes a modular one, you basically assemble it in place.

Given that, I wouldn't use the word "safe", but it's an option.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    SecureIt safes look intriguing. Light and affordable, but limited space / options. I always cringe thinking about how to get that huge and heavy safe into my house or basement without serious harm. Does anyone have experience with their products?

I have a SecureIt Agile 52. Bought it on sale and had it shipped to my door. I carried it in, set it up, moved it into position, and bolted it down by myself.
    Super easy. PM me if you have questions.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    20200323_124611.jpg

Pic of the one I'd like to move. I stuck it under accessories in the classy add section.

Last edited:

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have a SecureIt Agile 52. Bought it on sale and had it shipped to my door. I carried it in, set it up, moved it into position, and bolted it down by myself.
    Super easy. PM me if you have questions.

Thank you for your feedback on this. I think I’m going to give this a go.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I am just going to post this up to save time. It is a response to a couple of PMs I received on the SecureIt Tactical gun cabinet I have.
    This is my viewpoint. Take it for what it is worth:

===================================================================================
    BLUF:
    Yes, I would buy it again and will buy another one when needed.

Long version:
    I researched this purchase for several months prior to making the actual purchase. My collection was expanding fast at the time and I felt the need to: A) prevent access from family members that have not been trained, and B) due diligence for security and insurance purposes. EG: What if someone were to break in and steal my weapons? What would I tell the police and my insurance company? "They were just sitting on a shelf" was not the answer I wanted to provide. I do not ever want to be told I was negligent in a court of law if my stolen weapons were found to be used in a crime.

Everyone has different needs.

My examples:
    Most companies are selling RSCs (Residential Security Containers), not safes. There is a big difference in both security protection and cost.
    Most RSCs provide no more security than a SecureIt Agile gun cabinet. Again, if my weapons get stolen...that is what insurance is for.
    I do have not antiques or weapons I cannot replace. So for me, fire ratings mean nothing...don't care.
    Most RSCs are constructed with cheap gypsum board to provide fire resistance and carpet to protect the weapon finish. I care about neither of those and the VOCs coming from them are caustic and can lead to corrosion of the weapons stored inside the RSC.
    My gun room, reloading, bench, supplies, etc are all in my basement. Hauling a 500+ lb safe down stairs does not work for me. I wanted something lighted and more maneuverable.
    I only had 3 long guns and 4 pistols at the time. Having a giant RSC only filled to 1/4 capacity did not make sense. I wanted something modular.
    I have central HVAC with humidity control. I do not need de-humidification units to keep my weapons from getting rusty.

Your needs will be different from mine. I strongly suggest looking at the SecureIt videos on YouTube. Tom Kubinec explains the current market very well and the videos clearly show how easy it is to get into an RSC.

As for purchasing...they (now) run sales all the time and you can probably find coupon/promo codes. I bought mine from GunSafes.com and got free shipping as well.
    It came in a flat box and you assemble it yourself. Moving the shipping box inside to where I wanted to set it up was a bit of a challenge. It is heavier than you might think. ;-)
    Setup was very easy on took about 40 minutes total. There are some YouTube videos showing step by step setup.

Don't spend money on bins from SecureIt. They are the same as the ACRO bins. You can buy them online for far less or go to Menard's and buy them there.

Hope this gets you pointed in the correct direction.
    It you need more info or pictures, email me at: redacted.
    ===================================================================================

PM me if you have any other questions.

Top Bottom