• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My dad has a safe in the garage (40 gun or so), bolted to the floor, I can't remember if wall also or not... Set on two 2x4's, and bolted through them, has a golden rod for humidity. Had the safe for... 10+ years? Never seen any rust on any of his guns, or mine that were stored there. Of course, we always clean right after shooting, and wipe down with silicone impregnated gun and reel cloth... Even wiping fingerprints and such where we held the gun putting it into the safe...

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I have a Ft. Knox safe that has been in my garage for the past 4 years. There's one of the Remington plug in to recharge dehumidifiers thrown in by the long guns.

I recharge it every couple of weeks.

Never seen a spot of rust on any of my guns.
    Never seen a spot of rust on any of my tools for that matter either, and they're just sitting on the shelf.

Garage is insulated, but not entirely sealed.
    I had a small electric heater installed to keep it around 50 F during the winter.
    Safe is bolted directly to the concrete floor.

I think it's more important to make sure that your gutters are adequately moving rain water away from your house than spending time/money on elaborate dehumidifying setups.

I agree with those who have expressed concern about someone jerking the safe out of the garage with chains. Think about where you're going to put it before you bolt it down.
    I recall that the robbery that happened that way was done with a tow truck.
    It seems to me to be extremely unlikely that a standard size safe full of guns/ammo/misc. could be lifted into a normal pickup truck by hand, even if there were ten guys there doing it.
    Also seems unlikely that a normal pickup truck would be able to support the weight of a full safe that way either.

My :twocents:

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have had mine in the garage for over 10 years after moving it to this house. It is bolted to the floor and has a golden rod. Garage is not climate controlled and I have not had any problems. I prefer it in the house but when we moved I didn't want the hassle of moving it up steps again.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    why tell anyone your safe is in the garage ? desiccant packs work in mine just fine. I keep a small fan on always . No rust on my Harley either .

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Buddy of mine has a safe in a unheated garage and the only thing I've seen him do is give every gun that goes in a heavy coat of gun oil. Seems to work for him?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Seems to me having a gun safe in the garage would make getting to one's guns a colossal PITA, especially if you also use the garage for its intended purpose (parking cars) as opposed to a utility/storage room or man cave. I'm always moving stuff into and out of my safes; garage location would be a no-go for me.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Couple of yeras ago I bought a large "remmington " safe. The they told me it would be an extra 125.00 to move the 700 pound beast upstairs. I found a space in the corner of the garage and there it sits. It has a golden rod hooked up to it that is ona a clock. It works great. The garage is hooked up to ADT and you need a key and combination to get into it. It sits on a pallet off the ground.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    why tell anyone your safe is in the garage ? desiccant packs work in mine just fine. I keep a small fan on always . No rust on my Harley either .

My safe is about three feet away from my harley also. Thry a "golden rod" Some safes have places in the back that you can safely hook the rod in you safe. I set mine to run 5 - 6 hours a day. You have to adjust it for your needs. When I first got it I had an old shot gun with a rubber butt pad. In three months it was gone.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A cheaper solution to helping keep a safe dry is a simple light bulb. Even a 7-1/2 watt night light bulb makes enough heat to keep a normal safe dry (plus it makes it easier to see everything) Like another poster warned, some heat is good, too much heat will casue damage. It only takes about 5 degrees above ambient to keep the moisture out. Good Luck

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I have my "toy vault" located in my garage and haven't had any moisture issues. The garage is heated and a/c'd and I just use one of those silica type coffee cans. After several years - no issues.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm running out of space in the house so I'm going to have to move into the garage going forward myself.

I was worried about someone stealing the safe with a truck until I moved my current safe to my new home.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My safe has been in the garage now for around 10 years. It sits on a couple of treated boards with bolts running through them into concrete anchors in the floor. The garage is heated to above freezing in the winter and is fully insulated. I run a goldenrod and have never had a problem with rust. The floor in epoxy coated and the base of the safe is sealed with additional concrete to block a prybar. It is pushed up against a wall to prevent getting a chain around it.

Top Bottom