• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do not know if Trijicon is producing any more Type 1 RMRs. I wouldn't think they'd still be making them - but I'll see big sales on them a few times a year so it makes me wonder just how big the extant supply is.

Things to keep in mind: The Type 1 wasn't ever designed / meant / intended to be mounted on a reciprocating pistol slide. A good deal of them have been mounted this way... Which lead to the discovery that the battery leads on the interior weren't quite up to snuff. And that lead to the development of the anti-flicker plate that slightly elevates the battery so it makes better contact.

The Type 2 was, apparently, designed to be more robust in it's most prevalent usage - mounted to a pistol slide. If you're patient and follow the right social media accounts, you can find some of them just under $400.

Then it'll be about a minimum of $125 to have a slide milled should it need done.

Thanks TF! Good to know. I will need to do some more homework. If I'm going to buy something to replace a Vortex Venom that I have on my .22, I want to be sure it's up to the task of repeated use on my 9 mm.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Then it'll be about a minimum of $125 to have a slide milled should it need done.

If you really want to use an RMR, I think it makes sense to just buy one of the pistols that comes optics-ready from the factory. The price premium is often much less than having the work done later.

CZ, Sig, Springfield, Walther, and probably more have options available.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you really want to use an RMR, I think it makes sense to just buy one of the pistols that comes optics-ready from the factory. The price premium is often much less than having the work done later.

CZ, Sig, Springfield, Walther, and probably more have options available.
    The “optics ready” one size fits most is a poor way to go. Having the slide milled alleviates the need for adapter plates, which also makes finding proper height sights easier. To the OP, that’s a decent price for a Type1, and if you buy the “anti flicker” sealing plate an Type 1 is just fine for hard use. I prefer the settings on the Type 1 over the Type 2, but we can’t have everything.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The “optics ready” one size fits most is a poor way to go. Having the slide milled alleviates the need for adapter plates, which also makes finding proper height sights easier. To the OP, that’s a decent price for a Type1, and if you buy the “anti flicker” sealing plate an Type 1 is just fine for hard use. I prefer the settings on the Type 1 over the Type 2, but we can’t have everything.

I don't see me at this point buying a pistol that is red dot ready. I have a pistol already. :)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't see me at this point buying a pistol that is red dot ready. I have a pistol already. :)
    Buy an RMR cut slide from Brownell, populate it, and have two upper halves, or for half the price, cut your slide. After the initial getting used to period, you won’t regret it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Buy an RMR cut slide from Brownell, populate it, and have two upper halves, or for half the price, cut your slide. After the initial getting used to period, you won’t regret it.

This sounds like a good idea. I'll ponder this as I give irons one more try in the next few months. Maybe by then I will be able to find a 2.0 Compact slide. I couldn't find one with a cursory search last night.

Top Bottom