• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I have a Ruger Speed Six 4" very nicely blued that I debated on making a queen. It's no longer made and its hard to find one in this condition. Then, shortly after i purchased a S&W Centennial mode 40-1 used but like new bluing and again thought maybe too nice to shoot. Most recently i picked up another blued speed six (2.75"). This newest Spd-6 has the sweetest trigger and a worn bluing that indicates it was someones very close friend for a long time. I was immediately drawn to this gun since I no longer had to fret over using it or making a queen. I immediately was willing to trade my "untradeable" Stnls SP101 3" for it. I loved that SP but now feel I have a better gun so don't regret it. I now have come to realize that why should I safe a queen for someone else to inherit. The smart one who gets enjoyment from shooting it as it was intended. Kinda like marrying a virgin and keeping her that way. You make love to her often and hopefully 25 years later you still have her and the memories you've made. That is your real safe queen. I now carry my model 40-1 happily every day as my business attire gun. However, on weekends and after work its my trusty well worn Speed Six. The 4" SS makes a great house gun but fits my belt holster and will get some use also. What are your thoughts about your queen?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Safe queens are good for retirement funds, if inheritance is out of the question. More so if collectable.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Guns are meant to be shot so there are no safe queens in my house just guns that get shot more than others.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have three safe queens

June of 1944 Winchester m1 carbine. 98% and never issued.

BCD 4 Mauser, unissued vet bring back taken off the rack at the factory in 1944.

German Mauser HSc 98% with holster and 2 magazines dated 1940.

Most guns are tools and meant to be used but these remain queens because they seem to have been manufactured and not iissued during the bloodiest conflict of all time (TBD, we will see what the next 10 years brings the world) and were never fired in anger. I am not a beatnick hippie but there is something to be said for preserving their innocence.

The rest are just tools.

Indiucky

p.s. The M1 carbine was purchased from the NRA in 1962 by my grandfather for 17.50 plus 2.50 shipping. I found out the reason he got an unissued was that the NRA cherry picked the ones for lifetime members. He also got a 1911, 03 Springfield, m1 Garand, and o3a3. Total cost of all weapons with shipping? $100.

Ah for a time machine.

Indiucky

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Guns are to shot but some are very special. Have a couple that are collectable that have been shot, alot. Wish they could have been retired sooner, a couple that are family heirlooms, a few that are better than a 401k, and that's their purpose, and a couple of work horses. So yes, I have safe queens. Just like tools some are general purpose and others are very specific.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    At this stage in my life I figger that any time I sell a gun and we both enjoy the proceeds, that's one less gun that wil be stolen from her after I'm gone.

Top Bottom