• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    So I'm running a Lockdown puck that keeps track of my safe opening, closing, temp and humidity and it got me thinking.

I'm usually at 30% humidity at 72 degrees inside. From. What I've read thats pretty good. Is there a downfall to getting the humidity lower by adding desiccant packs?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I'm running a Lockdown puck that keeps track of my safe opening, closing, temp and humidity and it got me thinking.

I'm usually at 30% humidity at 72 degrees inside. From. What I've read thats pretty good. Is there a downfall to getting the humidity lower by adding desiccant packs?
    I use one of them in each safe/gun cabinet and I keep my home around 35-40% humidity. So far so good. Temperature in warm weather is 70 degrees and winter about the same.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have one of those Golden Rods, I believe they are called. My humidistat reads 50%. Just like the rest of my house.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    After moving to Indiana from a dry climate, this is a topic on which I have been coming up to speed. Almost everything I have read seems to point to "keep it at 70 deg F and 50% RH." see attached article from NRA website.

I was initially going to sore in my basement but have read about that not being the best choice (if anyone else has a different experience, please chime in). I was also going to go down the Goldenrod
    route but am now thinking that the silica gel approach is something I am more comfortable with.

I tried the Eva Dry product but found that I am having to recharge it quite frequently, and so, and looking for the largest capacity I can. Also the Eva dry has to be plugged in for a long time (>12 hours) to recharge.

I don't have any wood stocks, so my goal is to keep moisture levels low (< 50%). Need to get a hygrometer first. Amazon has a Lockdown one for only 8.99. I'll probably try that over the digital ones.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for a goldenrod.

But it sounds like at 30% you are already doing well. I wouldnt go lower.
    (unless you have nothing but scary black rifles and tactical tupperware, then get it as low as you can.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My stuff is in my basement but I keep it at our slightly below 50% humidity year round.

Nothing corrodes down there. Nothing.

Top Bottom