• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been using a safety razor for at least 5 years now. I have two Merkurs and a 1950 vintage Gillette Fat Boy. I prefer the Merkurs over the Fat Boy despite the reverence given to the latter by the shaving community.

I finally concluded that shaving products companies have a problem in delivering their share holders dividends from always growing revenue. Once you have a good razor, you really have no need to buy another one unless the next best thing is invented. One way companies can keep the stream of cash flowing is to constantly change shaving platforms: Great news America! We just discovered that 5 blades will shave you better than three so you should buy our newest razor. I decided to jump off that bandwagon.

The only downside to using a safety razor, IMHO, is time. If your only goal is to get the best possible shave in the least amount of time, use your cartridge razor with row upon row of blades. Only when I need to get out of the house fast will I reach for a cartridge razor, which for me is a Sensor Excel. (I stopped being Gillette's sucker with the two-blade cartridge). The pathway to a close shave using a safety razor is light pressure taking multiple passes with the grain, across the grain, and against the grain...with re-lathering between each pass. Wet shaving with a safety razor is a self-pampering experience.

As for soaps, my top 3 are Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, & Cella...probably in that order.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm also a DE guy, but only been on the program for a few months. I'm currently using a cheap Shaving Company razor with Astra blades, Kiss My Face sensitive shave (found at Kroger in the organic/healthfood section), and a cheap boar brush. Bligh is correct in that the 2-minute drill shave is gone, but it's replaced by the best shave I've ever had. Go slow, practice, and don't get discouraged when you slice yourself pretty good. It is with great restraint that I don't go hog wild on razors, brushes, creams, etc. You can spend as little or as much as you want, but it will still be a cheaper, better shave than canned goo and multi-blade carts.

Badger & Blade - Home Go here for information overload.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    I shave with one of these, and there is a learning curve.

$(KGrHqNHJBEE7))HtcwUBPDInGRdmg~~60_35.JPG

Life changes when you switch to a straight razor, doesn't it? I've turned into a total shaving snob.

Here's mine:
    tumblr_mgmffl8sEO1rueoiuo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mgmffl8sEO1rueoiuo2_500.jpg

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've been thinking about trying out a safety, but if anyone is interested in sticking with the more modern cartridge system you have to check out this website:

DORCO - Disposable Razors, Shaving Systems, Shavers, 6 Blade, Blades, Cartridges, Cartridge, Mens, Womens

They're every bit as good as the machfusionwhatevers and you can get their six blade razor with 38 total cartridges for under $30...which is a pretty steep discount compared to what you can pick up at Walmart/etc..

I've been using them for over a month now and have a pretty heavy beard, they work really well.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have three different DEs:
    1. Gilletee Tech
    2. Gillette super speed
    3. Gillette slim (adjustable)

I usually use #3

I have a straight that was a gift from a neighbor, but I don't have a strop so I only used it a time or two. I really should put more effort into that.

Of course I love the shave, but my favorite thing about using a DE or a straight is that it doesn't clog with hair. A cartridge razor, even a sharp one that cuts well, is a real pain in the ass to clear out when it gets clogged with hair. If the DE is full of hair, it can be taken apart and the entire thing rinsed. This is also a function of there being more blade exposure, which is what people fear about DEs, but it isn't an issue once you learn to use it.

I have never used a newer razor but I have heard good things about the aggressiveness of the Mercur Slant and I've wanted to try one.

That said, I usually use my Slim on the lowest setting! It may come as a surprise to a newbie, but the most aggressive razor doesn't always produce the closest shave. Getting a really smooth shave is a function of doing a proper 3 pass shave and carefully reducing the beard, of which you can learn all about on Youtube.

I don't have a strong preference on blades. I use the Derby blades a lot, and I tend to make a Feather last longer because the less expensive Derby blades aren't as sharp. I can still make a 7 or 8 cent blade go for two weeks (shaving every day).

Check out Badger & Blade as well. I'm a member there but I rarely check it. I should check it out more--adding a few more (relatively inexpensive) items to my toolbox wouldn't be a bad choice.

The DE is wonderful but the badger and lather really make all the difference. Getting moisture into your beard first will make it much easier to cut (ever wonder why they spray water in your hair before they cut it with scissors?).

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I use a DE razor (Merkur 1904 classic with Astra blades). I like it exclusively for the cost of blades. I can replace them weekly for just a few pennies.

The DE razor takes longer, is easier to irritate your skin and requires a lot more work to get an equal or better shave to a cartridge razor.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'll stick with my electric.:) Though that looks like a nice razor.

I can say with 100% certainty that my DE shave is as good the day after as my old electric was immediately following shaving. I don't have a real heavy beard, but electrics got me a whole lotta nothin'.

As for irritation/burn, I only get a little down on my neck below my adams apple, and that's getting better as I get better. I'll never go back to canned gel/cream/goo or an electric.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the razor in my op. I also bought a Semogue brush and a bowl of Taylor of Old Bond Street soap.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I love mine. Better shave than with a disposable. Get a badger brush, soap, mug, and have at. As stated before, let the razor do the work, don't push, and watch the side to side movement. Enjoy!

Last edited:

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've been shaving with the double edge razor in my original post for approx a month now and I have to say I like it. I've tried a handful of different blades and so far I like Astra SP blades best. I tried Derby, Persona Red, Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock black, Wilkinson Sword, and some others that were thrown in with my sample pack. Astra seems to give me the closest shave with the least amount of burn or nicks. I have more blades to test but a 100 pack of Astras may be in my future.

Other things I have learned:

I really like Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood soap and I am going to try more of their products.

RazoRock Mughetto di Bologna soap is starting to grow on me and I can see using it on a regular basis. It lathers well and I think the scent is getting better the more I use it.

Speick after shave smells really good and is pretty soothing for razor burn as well. I am going to start using it more often.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I use one of these old Gillette Blue Tips (made in the fall of '56) along with plain ol' Williams shaving soap from the drug store. The blue tip is good for an average beard. If you need something more aggressive, go with the Red Tip. I've had really good luck with the Derby blades from Turkey, although I hit one pack awhile back that was all jacked up! Threw them out as needed and moved on with my life. I bought a 250 pack a year and a half ago on fleabay for like $12 and I'm still trying to wear them out. You will never go wrong avoiding anything touted as a "shaving system." King Gillette literally invented this business model and "system" is a synonym for "sucker.".

Blue_zpsbcbf403a.jpg

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Astra's are my favorite also.

Trying some this old school stuff. Goes on a little mediciney but leaves a very light bay rum smell.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVIVYW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000EVIVYM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NEQD9R9X1NNYXJQZYAT]Amazon.com: GABELS Bay Rum After Shave Lotion 16oz/1pt: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I finally got around to trying these blades and I am glad I did. They gave me one of the best shaves I have ever experienced. No burn, no cuts, and super smooth. These are definitely making it into round 2 of testing.

gillette_super_thin.jpg

I am going to give feathers another try. The first time they cut me up something awful but I am going to chalk it up to poor technique on my part.

I also ordered an open comb merkur 25c to try out.

MRK25C.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Well, been using it for a few days now, and I like the Astra blades in my Merkur, under 9 cents per blade is pretty good too.

Top Bottom