• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That is exactly why I bought my Glocks.
    Out west I had 1911s. I carried them but not very often. Only on our property and I was careful then not to hurt them. (and it was illegal to carry) They were my babies and I threw way too much money into them. Complete works of art. When I got to Indiana, I could carry all the time but I was over protective of my 1911s and it was starting to effect how I walked through doorways trying not to bump them.

So, Glocks it is. I could throw them around all day long and not care. Ding, chip, bump. They're Glocks...

Same here! I sold everything off and only own Glocks now. Nice to be able to actually use them and not care at all how they look. No safety is a huge plus to me. Cheap and tuff as nails. Never liked the idea of a cocked 1911 while my kids are pulling on my pant legs below it. Glad I sold them along with the archaic spiny wheel kind.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I'm not a fan of slide mounted safeties but a frame mounted thumb safety can be worked into muscle memory routine especially if your thumb rides there anyway

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What about needing to shoot from retention? If you only disengage the safety when you've got a 2 handed grip already pushed out - you're gonna have a hard time shooting from retention. If you only disengage the safety when your other hand meets the gun - what happens when you can only use one hand? What if you have a less than ideal grip on the gun on a drawstroke because crap happens and you physically can't manage to disengage the safety (or can't actuate the grip safety for whatever reason?)

What about shooting from high compressed ready (which, I admit, probably isn't the first immediate action) - because in your mind you've got it that the safety only comes off once you've punched out?

All these if/then scenarios of when to disengage and engage the safety are setting people up to have to run through too many rules in their heads before doing what needs to be done. And that takes time and brain power. Time that you probably don't have in an OhCrapINeedMyGunRIGHTDAMMNEDNOW scenario.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Guess I am going to keep with pushing it down on the draw, I guess to me it makes the most sense. I have practiced for so long doing it this way it doesn't make sense to change now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What about needing to shoot from retention? If you only disengage the safety when you've got a 2 handed grip already pushed out - you're gonna have a hard time shooting from retention. If you only disengage the safety when your other hand meets the gun - what happens when you can only use one hand? What if you have a less than ideal grip on the gun on a drawstroke because crap happens and you physically can't manage to disengage the safety (or can't actuate the grip safety for whatever reason?)

What about shooting from high compressed ready (which, I admit, probably isn't the first immediate action) - because in your mind you've got it that the safety only comes off once you've punched out?

All these if/then scenarios of when to disengage and engage the safety are setting people up to have to run through too many rules in their heads before doing what needs to be done. And that takes time and brain power. Time that you probably don't have in an OhCrapINeedMyGunRIGHTDAMMNEDNOW scenario.

You are overthinking it. The safety can pop off as soon as the gun is oriented towards the target. No problem shooting from retention. Kirk referred to this as position 2, I called it position 3. (The difference is if a person uses a 4 vs 5 count presention.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For fighting? Safety off when decision is made to shoot and the gun is on target, same as long guns. Re-safety when evaluating or off target.

Top Bottom