• ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Saga of the Cannon Safe & Electronic Lock

Back in about 2005, I purchased a 30” wide Cannon safe with electronic lock. Overall I’ve liked it, however, about 18 months ago, I started having issues with it re-locking, i.e. I’d close the door, move the handle and could re-open it without entering the combo. I was blaming it on low batteries, as I found if I changed the battery, then the system would lock. Over time, I found that it wasn’t a low battery, but that the power cycle would clear out the lock.:dunno:

I didn’t really think too much about it and just put up with the inconvenience and made sure I tested that it locked. However, one day, the combination wouldn’t work! :xmad: After trying multiple times, I got the safe into time delay mode. Sadly, this is a pretty decent mode.. as even pulling the battery doesn’t reset the count down timer… It just stops it from counting! So, breaking out my Google-fu, I found numerous sites stating that the keypads fail periodically. Having experience with membrane keypads on other devices, I got the bright idea that I’d take it apart, reverse engineer it, and hard wire the switch combo to get into the safe. No dice. Not only did I make the membrane switches totally non-responsive, even after creating a micro switch array to replace it, I still couldn’t get in! ARGG!:ugh:

Alright… time to talk to a lock smith. Went into the local shop and the counter person couldn’t really give me a decent price on having them drill it, except that safe work was about $95/hour and replacement parts would be about $225. :crying: I could see the lock smith fees rapidly exceeding the value of the safe so dropped that idea as it would be cheaper to cut the side out, recover my firearms and just replace it with new. But I’m more stubborn than that and didn’t want to give up just yet. :wallbash:

Following the advice from several other forums, I decided to call Cannon support. I’ve moved since purchasing the safe so registration would be wrong, and after 15 years, I no longer have the paperwork for it so I didn’t have much hope they could assist. How wrong I was! After giving them the serial number, they were able to provide the default combination that the locks go to if they factory reset. Sadly, because of my messing around with the switches, couldn’t get it to go, and got it into timeout mode again. Even though I had put in a new battery, it was within 3 years of “expiration” and they claimed that the lock wouldn’t work with it and insisted I go get a brand new Duracell battery with at least 5 years out. But then the most surprising thing was they noted I had never replaced the keypad on this safe, and that they would ship me a new keypad and lock mechanism! For FREE! :wow: After 15 years sending me new parts! I was happy about that, but still skeptical that I would be able to get into the safe. But I did what they asked and got a new battery, and then came back and fully reverse engineered the membrane switch and just used a small wire to manually poke the contacts on the keypad connector to “morse code” enter the factory combination. CLICK! How about that! It opened! :banana: Of course, the very next thing I did was to lock the mechanism with the door open! No way did I want a family member to “help out” and close the door. 30 minutes later, I had pulled the interior of the door apart and removed the lock so that I simply had a metal box, but at least I could access the guns.

So now for the frustrating part, the parts order was placed Oct 1, and I only got the parts yesterday 12/3. Installation was pretty easy except that I did have to tap 2 predrilled screw holes with 8/32 threads to mount the new keypad. Except for tapping the screws it was about 15 to 20 minutes to install everything. Another 5 minutes to change the combination from the default and I’m back to secure!:rockwoot:

So what did I learn?

1. If your electronic lock ever “acts up”, don’t ignore it. Immediately start to work to replace it.
    2. I was impressed with the interior of the door. There was a LOT more steel protecting the lock than I expected. I’m very glad that I didn’t have to drill it as that would have been a bunch of time.
    3. There are still companies that take care of the customer. Although I had been looking at Liberty safes as my next safe, I’ll give strong consideration to Cannon.

Anyway, I hope the above helps someone out!

--Rick

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I had the electronic lock go out on a 24 gun cannon I have. It started doing the same thing as you described. I went online and bout an S&G manual combonation lock. I think it was about $90 and I replaced it myself. S&G has a step by step tutorial about how to change and set it. It took about 30 minutes and now I don't have to worry about the batteries anymore. I'm glad to hear they took care of you like that. I have that safe and another that still has the E-lock on it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So am I right in understanding that lock just "forgot" it's combination? Interesting that it forgot that, but it kept remembering it's fail-locked time out.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have replaced the lock mechanisms on a few safes after they failed. One was open and was easy. One I was able to activate the reset with a long wire that passed through the door at the small hole behind the keypad. I have opened some mechanical ones as well, by drilling through the back of the safe, then with a long bit through the interior panel of the door, to view the tumblers with an endoscope.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never trusted electronic locks, either keypad or biometric for this very reason. I know that they usually have a key backup, but I'm more comfortable with mechanical than electronic.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear Cannon took care of you and provided the necessary parts for free.
    I have a Cannon safe with a digital key pad and have only had to replace the battery a couple times. Most recently, a couple months ago, I went to open the safe and after entering the combo, it simply wouldn't open. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach but thankfully a new battery had it working again.
    About 10 yrs ago my dad had an issue with the dial combo lock on his Browning safe. It wouldn't always open and wouldn't always lock when the handle was turned. He ended up locked out and had to pay a locksmith to gain access. The locksmith he used talked him out of installing another dial lock and instead installed an S&G digital keypad.
    So, I think regardless of what type of lock it is, if it starts acting up get on it before it becomes a real problem.
    Neither my Cannon nor dads Browning have a key back up.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My mechanical B&G has had a quirk lately.Before it was 4+ turns left to start.Now I spin a couple right and 6 turns left.It solved it.Before it was taking 3-4 tries and it was not me.My friend replaced a mech with a digital for wifey.Offered me his if needed.Do the mech.ones really ever go bad?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    So am I right in understanding that lock just "forgot" it's combination? Interesting that it forgot that, but it kept remembering it's fail-locked time out.

Yes, this is exactly what happened. It forgot my programmed code, and reverted to the factory default, which isn't the same as what the safe shipped with.

And no, it doesn't have a backup mechanical key. As far as moving to a mechanical lock, I've got one on another safe and it takes me about 5 minutes to get into it. I bought it thinking the dial would be more reliable, but the manual wants me to have it serviced (cleaned and lubricated) by a locksmith every 5 years to ensure reliability. If not, you risk ending up with slipped disks acting like 1down4up is describing. In his case I'd recommend getting it serviced or replace it before he ends locked out.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My mechanical B&G has had a quirk lately.Before it was 4+ turns left to start.Now I spin a couple right and 6 turns left.It solved it.Before it was taking 3-4 tries and it was not me.My friend replaced a mech with a digital for wifey.Offered me his if needed.Do the mech.ones really ever go bad?

Anything with moving parts can certain wear and break.

I guess that qualifier should be removed, as the non-moving parts of electronic locks fail, too.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States

That's really abnormal. I likely wouldn't lock this again without taking it apart unless you have a secondary key or something. It's much easier to fix while it isn't locked shut.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    For those looking for a safe, what recommendations does everyone have? You’ve talked me out of digital, but the dial doesn’t sound much better?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    For those looking for a safe, what recommendations does everyone have? You’ve talked me out of digital, but the dial doesn’t sound much better?
    Just look for a long fire rating, and a keyed lock. You pop off the covering on the digital lock, and insert key. The key will be around 6" long.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Digital or dial lock wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as either will work but have the potential for problems. Based on what others have shared here, I would look for something with a key back up feature

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Digital or dial lock wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as either will work but have the potential for problems. Based on what others have shared here, I would look for something with a key back up feature

The problem is that with a key backup - now you've got a separate access vector to manage. You have to find a place to hide it, then worry about this guy:

[video=youtube;7RUwhfe3rHY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RUwhfe3rHY[/video]

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    You guys have guns in a gun safe? I thought that you sold them and the ones you didn't were lost in a boating accident.

Top Bottom