Saiga 12 Conversion- What would you pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    For those of you who have done a conversion, would you be willing to pay a reputable outfit $200 to do the conversion for you? JT Engineering has a deal with Carolina Shooter Supply that if you buy any conversion kit from CSS, JTE will do the conversion for $200, plus shipping, so about $250 in all.

I was about to start converting and ordering the parts when I saw this deal on the CSS website. I'm confident I can do the conversion myself, but JTE offers some things I can't do, like check and fix the gasports. Thing is, my Saiga has ran bulk packs right out of the box- it doesn't need any help there.

What say ye- is it worth $250 to have a pro do it, or should I just do it myself and throw the extra funds in mags?

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Will they weld and blend the old holes and re-coat the gun with a quality coating like Ceracote, not spray paint? If so I think I might be worth it.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Plus, I hate sending my guns out and waiting for them to send it back. If you can spend a couple hours to do it, be able to use it when you're finished and get the satisfaction of a job well done that in itself is worth more than $250.

I did mine over the weekend and spent 4-5 hours because I welded and blended the holes, fitted an AK FCG, re-profiled the bolt, polish mating surfaces, and installed a original style rivet on trigger guard. I have yet to test fire the gun so I have not coated it yet. I'm very happy with the way it's turned out so far and if somebody else would've done it, it wouldn't be as satisfying.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    You can redrill the gas ports your self just as easily as converting the gun...

It's all easy, the only hard part is beating yourself over the head enough that you go out and do it.

I'd pay someone the cost of the parts and $50 to do it, tops. That's if I couldn't find 15 minutes out of my day to do it, which would be pretty unlikely.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    The only way I can see this being a plus is if you were strapped for time and would like to have it done and ready for your next available outing. If time isn't an issue than I would say do the conversion yourself. CSS has the vids on his site and on Youtube that will be real handy when converting. I pretty much did the conversion on mine right here in my office. Plus it does give you the satisfication of knowing you did this yourself.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I actually paid more than I care to admit several years back for my first conversion. Now I realize if you have a battery drill, a dremel and a file, screwdriver etc its stupid easy. NOW I will say JT makes great stuff and I heartily recoment CSS as the number 1 aftermarket parts supplier. The JT extended mag release is a must. Jack will do your bolt as part of this conversion yes? THAT is a good thing but I know he will still do the bolt as a side issue if you mail it to him. Plugs for holes? Dont need no stinking plugs but they are cheap so add them if you want. Seriously go to the saiga forums and learn and there are actually online vid tutorials. Plus we have one of their mods lurking here but over there he is a sad bully.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If jack does your bolt as well then it's an excellent price as tnek mentioned. What all parts are included? This may change my stance. Is it all crapco or does he use his stuff? Mr Travers makes some really neat parts.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This is copied off CSS website. He does work on the bolt, but I'm not sure if that's the same bolt work that tnek and vitamink are talking about.

JT Engineering $200 Conversion Summer Special with the purchase of any conversion kit from us.
    Basic Conversion includes
    1. Move FCG Group forward, plug axis holes, touch up finish as needed.
    2. Install all component parts of CSS Conversion Package.
    3. Check gas block and ports for alignment and/or correct as needed.
    4. Modify Bolt for Rock “N” Lock on a closed bolt.
    5. Profile hammer and carrier for reduced pre-load on main spring during cycling
    6. Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)
    $200.00 for the conversion and $25.00 for return shipping.
    Other options available. Please call 561-317-9096 or email jack@jtengineering.org for more information.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I actually paid more than I care to admit several years back for my first conversion. Now I realize if you have a battery drill, a dremel and a file, screwdriver etc its stupid easy. NOW I will say JT makes great stuff and I heartily recoment CSS as the number 1 aftermarket parts supplier. The JT extended mag release is a must. Jack will do your bolt as part of this conversion yes? THAT is a good thing but I know he will still do the bolt as a side issue if you mail it to him. Plugs for holes? Dont need no stinking plugs but they are cheap so add them if you want. Seriously go to the saiga forums and learn and there are actually online vid tutorials. Plus we have one of their mods lurking here but over there he is a sad bully.

Agreed. I'm a member over on the Saiga forum and there's lots of good info (and classifieds:D) that go through there.

Do you have any idea what he charges to do the bolt alone? And is this something that a guy could just mail the bolt there instead of the whole gun?

If jack does your bolt as well then it's an excellent price as tnek mentioned. What all parts are included? This may change my stance. Is it all crapco or does he use his stuff? Mr Travers makes some really neat parts.

As I understand it, you order whatever conversion kit and other stuff you want from CSS and then send all of it Jack. So the parts are really up to you.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    That's a hell of a good price then. It's over 100 just for a FCG with a pistol grip that's not including the stock and bolt reprofile and polish. Bolt work costs around 85$. So all in all that's a stellar deal.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    This is copied off CSS website. He does work on the bolt, but I'm not sure if that's the same bolt work that tnek and vitamink are talking about.

JT Engineering $200 Conversion Summer Special with the purchase of any conversion kit from us.
    Basic Conversion includes
    1. Move FCG Group forward, plug axis holes, touch up finish as needed.
    2. Install all component parts of CSS Conversion Package.
    3. Check gas block and ports for alignment and/or correct as needed.
    4. Modify Bolt for Rock “N” Lock on a closed bolt.
    5. Profile hammer and carrier for reduced pre-load on main spring during cycling
    6. Guaranteed to cycle with Federal Bulk Pack (2 ¾ Inch, 3 Dram, 1 1/8 oz shot)
    $200.00 for the conversion and $25.00 for return shipping.
    Other options available. Please call 561-317-9096 or email jack@jtengineering.org for more information.

Looks like #4 is doing the bolt. He charges about $75 for that alone I think and if thats part of it may be a decent deal for someone who really doesnt want to do it themselves. I dont think that price includes a extended mag release. Probably just a generic grip and trigger gaurd and russian stock. If your going to be a casual shooter with this one thats not bad. IF your going to use it for multigun or plan on shooting it a lot you may want to upgrade the parts.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Looks like #4 is doing the bolt. He charges about $75 for that alone I think and if thats part of it may be a decent deal for someone who really doesnt want to do it themselves. I dont think that price includes a extended mag release. Probably just a generic grip and trigger gaurd and russian stock. If your going to be a casual shooter with this one thats not bad. IF your going to use it for multigun or plan on shooting it a lot you may want to upgrade the parts.

Ok, that's good to know- I might call him just to get the specifics on the bolt and prices anyway. The price doesn't include the mag release, only whats in whatever conversion package you buy from CSS (from Tapco stuff all the way up). In other words, you can buy any conversion parts from css and any stock, etc that is in the kit he will put on.

The bolt work interests me as I haven't seen any satisfactory way of getting a LRBHO on the Saiga. Do you know if he can do this work with just the bolt or would the whole gun need to be sent in?

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Ok, that's good to know- I might call him just to get the specifics on the bolt and prices anyway. The price doesn't include the mag release, only whats in whatever conversion package you buy from CSS (from Tapco stuff all the way up). In other words, you can buy any conversion parts from css and any stock, etc that is in the kit he will put on.

The bolt work interests me as I haven't seen any satisfactory way of getting a LRBHO on the Saiga. Do you know if he can do this work with just the bolt or would the whole gun need to be sent in?

As everyone else says the LRBHO is mythical pretty much. Jack does good work and did a bolt for me and I was happy. Jack builds guns for the multigun crowd as well. He is a pretty decent guy from talking to him on the phone. Call him up and talk to him to figure out what you want.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    OR you can hold off for a few months and do even better and go the Akdal MKA 1919 route. I know for sure that there are several saiga builders working on parts now. And spare parts will be available for them unlike Saigas. R&R is working on ports/comps and hicap mags are in the pipeline but not sure from who. This info was told to me by someone who is at the top of the chain for this platform.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just a little update here- I decided to go it alone. Ordered up a tapco trigger group and hammer, KVAR NATO stock, TAPCO saw grip, CSS trigger guard, and a Tromix charging handle. Wasn't bad at all, and I'm glad I went that way.

Also grabbed a new Surefire 10 round mag. Went through a box today and had a failure in each mag except my last one filled with only 6 rounds. Maybe it needed to break in:dunno:

I already had the ushanka:D

006-1.jpg

Top Bottom