• ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hey all,
    I graduated from the school of the mechanically DECLINED but I also really want to convert a Saiga 12. First question: With the process, can they accept normal AK stocks? I have an AK and I put on this AMAZING recoil reducing stock for it; now my wife and daughter who were afraid of the AK recoil will shoot it. Here it is: AKS-161 - AK-47 Collapsible Shock Absorbing Buttstock MAKO Black 8 Position Reinforced Polymer Lighweight and Rugged
    I'd love to put this on a Saiga 12 conversion. Can I make it work?

Next, I'm a little afraid to tackle this project. Has anyone else who is not mechanically inclined been able to do it? Also, anyone in NWI near me willing to give me a hand? Or have a conversion party? Thanks in advance for the replies. I hear a Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum is great for bird hunting :):

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    If the stock will fit on a "standard" AK, it will fit on a Saiga 12. You may have to file the area that goes into the receiver a bit, neither AK's or Saiga's are known for tight tolerances.

As to whether you can do the conversion, I'd be willing to bet that you can. Go slow, and if you have a question or issue, be willing to stop what your doing and ask for help or a second opinion. I'd offer to do it with you, but I'm in New Albany.

I say "Go for it," but you know exactly how dis-inclined you are....

EDIT: Since the Saiga 12 is a semi-auto the recoil is greatly reduced when compared to a pump/SxS/etc shotgun. The stock you linked may not be necessary. Might not hold up to the Saiga either, but that's speculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KpdkENStLM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkD2YrTX0-U

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'll agree with mammynun... I'm also way down south, so I doubt I can help. Take your time and don't be afraid to stop. That's good advice. Toughest thing for me was my fat fingers vs. the Shepherd's Crook. Grrrrrrr.....

That said if you take your time and follow the videos out there (carolinashooterssupply.com has some good ones...) You'll be fine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    In order to fit a standard AK stock, you have to do a 'real' pistol grip conversion. There is plate that covers up the normal spot for a pistol grip, and at the back of this plate is a tab that connects to the factory Saiga12 stock. This part has to be removed to fit a normal stock.

Other than that, your golden.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    One problem with "shock absorbing" stocks on s12's is that they can short stroke sometimes. Your 12 will either need your shoulder to stop the rearward motion of gun allowing the action to cycle, or extra gas to compensate for the new stock. Chances are if you plan on shooting birdshot out of a stock s12 with a shock absorbing stock, you'll have nothing but problems, you may need an extra/opened ports, lighter spring, polish job etc. I was able to shoot an S12 with an enidine shock absorber on a friends gun and found that it would only cycle magnum rounds on setting 2, where the gun would usually shoot almost anything on 2 and magnums on 1.

Regardless you still should do the conversion if for no other reason than i'll make fun of you for not doing it. If you were near the south side of indy i'd be willing to help you out. Just a tip reference the shepherd's crook, go to carolina shooter's supply and order a krebs s12 (the one with the flattened edge) retainer plate...its a few bucks, works better and will save you an hour or so of messing up your fingers and punching your wife in the face out of anger.

When you go to the range try and bring the shock absorbing stock and another stock you have lying around with you so you can take the pepsi challenge and see which one works best or fits your needs. From the empirical data i've collected, you may have cycling issues and need to gas up your gun.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Just a word of advice, make sure your saiga feeds and functions 100% before you start your conversion.

Mine had tons of FTE's with low brass when I got it, even breaking it in with high brass didn't help. I finally sent it over to cadiz gun works in ohio for free warranty work; since returning, I haven't had a single FTE. I can even shoot low brass off the hip with 100% reliability.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Call me noob, but I have been looking at the saigas for some time now, what entails of the convert? Is this to full auto?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Not at all, to convert a gun you are essentially restoring it to it's original condition. The s12 and other saigas are "sporterized" or "retarded". The triggers are moved back and there is linkage that allows the hammer to fly forward. You generally are left with a crappy trigger that has serious trigger slap and a gun that looks silly. When you convert it you move the trigger group forward usually using a us trigger group like tapco for 922r compliance. There is a little more to it than that...if u click on IndyK's link above it goes more indepth. It would be illegal for most of us to own a full auto s12. Here's a video of one though (dealer sample)

YouTube - The TAC-47 Autoplug Installation & Tuning Guide

keith from tac 47 has the craziest accent.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yes, become a Class 2 SOT manufacturer, or possibly if you are a Class 3 dealer and buy a dealer sample, but those are the only legal ways.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm also a member of the "INGO / convert your own Saiga club". It is very simple, uses basic tools, and their is an abundance of information on the web in regards to it.
    IMG_0002.jpg

Top Bottom