• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    First post of a long time reader first time poster...

I've continually followed the attempts of the Saiga 12 going class III and was wondering was this does to the market for this weapon? In my lifetime I've never owned a gun that ever made the class III list, so I really don't know what to expect.

Thoughts of the more versed than I....

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I don't think is going to be the case, but you never know. I can sorta see the argument a converted one could be considered a destructive device.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    I ask and bring up because I know that every year there are tons of guns that make the initial list in Congress to make the class 3 list. Usually from a member of congress who has never fired a gun in their life, but that it a topic for another time. I can see the point of wanting to add a semi automatic shotgun, however it has yet the make any list of any bill that actually passes.

My general question was just out of curiosity as to what happens to the market of a gun that ends up a Class III...

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think the idea came about because the striker is a DD. Now you can get a saiga which, unlike the striker, is magazine fed. So it's faster to reload and has all the features that dubbed a striker a DD (drums and what not). Shortly after they did that shotgun study and everyone got paranoid. Saigas that were originally $300 were now $1000+. After the study import restrictions loosened and now they are bringing in VEPR 12s. At this point, I don't think its going to happen.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IF something were to happen, which I highly doubt will, I could see them being banned from importation like the Franchi SPAS 12 under the sporting purpose clause of the second amendment.

If they deemed it a class III destructive device, the same protocol would probably be followed for the Striker / Protecta / Street Sweeper.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Whether it was this gun or another kind, with guns that go Class III, do the ones already out in the world and owned by individuals get grandfathered in? Just wondering what protocol on something like this would be...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Whether it was this gun or another kind, with guns that go Class III, do the ones already out in the world and owned by individuals get grandfathered in? Just wondering what protocol on something like this would be...

Yes, they are grandfathered, but have to be added to the registry, and only have a certain period of time to do so. Once that time is up, all non-registered versions become contraband.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    IF something were to happen, which I highly doubt will, I could see them being banned from importation like the Franchi SPAS 12 under the sporting purpose clause of the second amendment.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't see a "sporting purpose clause" in the Second Amendment. Can you please explain your comment alluding to one?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't see a "sporting purpose clause" in the Second Amendment. Can you please explain your comment alluding to one?

He's referring to the NFA, which has been upheld by SCOTUS.

I don't believe that he necessarily agrees with the statement, but merely taking a pragmatic view of the ramifications of such.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Yes, they are grandfathered, but have to be added to the registry, and only have a certain period of time to do so. Once that time is up, all non-registered versions become contraband.

Thank you for the insight. I always wondered what the process for something like that was. Thanks!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When you say there is a "rumor" is this:

1. Speculation you are worried about?

2. Anxious worrying in the gun shop that you have overheard?

3. Something that a friend of yours who is jealous of others who have Antelope shotguns said so he can rationalize his not having one?

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    When you say there is a "rumor" is this:

1. Speculation you are worried about?

2. Anxious worrying in the gun shop that you have overheard?

3. Something that a friend of yours who is jealous of others who have Antelope shotguns said so he can rationalize his not having one?

I used to work for Congress, so I would continually read and stay up to date on proposals and bills as they went through the legislative process. And I know that over the past 2 or 3 years there has been legislation proposed that would make the Saiga 12 a Class III. There are other guns that always get added but never make it like the Saiga 12. It is no where yet to receiving enough votes on its own, but it has received more each time it has come up.

However having said all that I wouldn't put it out of the realm of it being added as an admendment to a random bill someday. For example the way most states passed helmet laws for motorcycles was not because their particular state legislature wanted it, but because the feds would base funding on whether they had one or not. In this particular example it is usually added to highway bills, and there would be some clause specifying that pending that passage of a highway bill they would receive more money.

It's just one of the many shameful ways that bills get passed in this country.
    "Here you can have more highway money, but first you have to pass a law stripping the people of your state their individual freedoms and the ability to make their own personal choices."

Sorry for the long vent...

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    I'd have to go back and look. You can look up pretty much any bill on the Library of Congress webpage, but seeing as how no bill has ever passed with it in included I am not sure it would come up. And I can't recall the number of any specific bill off the top off my head considering the thousands that get proposed every year.

I just know from my days in the congressional office of seeing it being a gun of some level of interest on more than one occasion.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am unaware of any such bill. I would appreciate a cite just for my own education.

I don't know but it all sounds like gun shop blather to me. "Oncet I seen . . ." or "I seen that the gummit banned dem gunz . . . .":D

There was the ATF study on shotgun that people suspected may give rise to a shotgun ban. However that was 86'd last year.

Top Bottom