• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    In celebration of Bin Laden being killed by taking a shot from a 10mm Sig 226 in the face, I bought a used Saiga 7.62x39. Looks very mildly used... no wear where you typically see it on AK's. I've ordered parts from CSS and Apex and removed the obamanation of a trigger group that they're imported with. Waiting on UPS for parts and the weather for paint... Pics when I'm done!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The FSB is on tight! Getting the pins out was no problem, but getting it off is proving difficult. :rolleyes: I'm hoping it's threaded under the "shroud," but I doubt it (it's an '06). I'll either thread it or get a bulgy 74 FSB to put on instead. If the FSB is this hard, I wonder how the gas block will be? :dunno:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I got the FSB and the GB off! :rockwoot:

DSCF0489.jpg

I let them both soak overnight with Kroil on them, then beat the crap out of FSB (using several methods) w/o success. I'd read that a "fork" used to remove steering wheels was a good tool to try, so I head out to get one. While I was at Advance Auto, I ran across the Autocraft Double Tube Flaring kit.

DSCF0492.jpg

I had measured the barrel, so I knew that 5/8" would work but I was unsure the "tool" would fit between the barrel and the bottom of the gas block where the piston resides. It did!! :rockwoot: Took a few whack with a 3 lbs hammer for the FSB, and a few more with a 16 Oz hammer for the GB. I was kind of bummed that it's not threaded, still deciding whether to thread the barrel or to put a Bulgy 74 FSB on it... suggestions?

Appears that the previous owner fired it very little... the lack of finish on the bottom of the bolt carrier is me starting to slick it up a little. I also filed the mag catch to accept AK mags, including my Korean drum. The drum is a loose fit, but all my 30 round surplus mags fit in nice and snug.

DSCF0493.jpg

Anyways, I'm happy so far with my dimpled and Y'd Saiga! :ingo:

DSCF0494.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No currently production russian AKs have threaded barrels any more. They all use the AK74 style threaded FSB. Go that route.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    No currently production russian AKs have threaded barrels any more. They all use the AK74 style threaded FSB. Go that route.

I probably will, but I was hoping since mine is an '06 it would be threaded. I guess I'll have to fork over $100 to K-Var.... :rolleyes:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Made some progress today!

Apex and CSS goodies came in the mail today! Got the bullet guide installed, move the trigger back to where Comrade K. intended. I also installed a lower handguard retainer... that was a bit dicey, but it came out pretty good! Nice-n-tight! :rockwoot: I'd never really looked closely at the cut in the barrel that needed to be cut, but my dremel-fu was strong. In preperation for wussing out, I ordered a bolt on retainer that I no longer need... if anyone wants to buy it, lemme know. It will eventually end up in the classifieds but I figure someone following this thread might like first shot. I also trimmed and shaped the BHO tab, I may end up ditching it.

The stock kit from Apex was not as nice as the last one I bought, I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to color match all 3 pieces.

Here's some pics... I forgot to eat all day so I'm off to dinner!

DSCF0500.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg
    DSCF0499.jpg

:ingo:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a kick-ass job so far. :yesway:

I'm curious how your 922(r) compliance is being done...

From what I can tell, it looks like you short a USA made compliance part.... but I've counted wrong plenty of times before.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    That's a kick-ass job so far. :yesway:

I'm curious how your 922(r) compliance is being done...

From what I can tell, it looks like you short a USA made compliance part.... but I've counted wrong plenty of times before.

Thanks for all the compliments!

As to 922r, I'm not sure how I'll be meeting that requirement. The pics above are of the 1st test fitting/function check. As it's shown, the FCG and the pistol grip are the only U.S. parts. I may ditch the surplus wood and get a kit from Ironwood... whether I thread the barrel or press (actually beat) on a Bulgy 74 FSB, I'll put a U.S. muzzle device on it. I neeed to reveiw 922r; I don't want to mess with my mags or the piston... I may have to get US Palm mags... stupid 922r!

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Id look into getting an IronWoods stock. That way you retain the look you want, but with US parts.

Being restricted to US mags is something I'd be adamant about staying away from. Just my :twocents:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    +1 on the Ironwood furniture, but use the laminated upper hand guard that you have already. The Ironwood ones are not correct in the way they are made. It detracts from your US parts count but the one you have is correct and a great color.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for all the compliments!

As to 922r, I'm not sure how I'll be meeting that requirement. The pics above are of the 1st test fitting/function check. As it's shown, the FCG and the pistol grip are the only U.S. parts. I may ditch the surplus wood and get a kit from Ironwood... whether I thread the barrel or press (actually beat) on a Bulgy 74 FSB, I'll put a U.S. muzzle device on it. I neeed to reveiw 922r; I don't want to mess with my mags or the piston... I may have to get US Palm mags... stupid 922r!

Great job on the conversion so far! I have a couple of the Apex Bulgy wood sets and really like them. If it were me I'd keep those, (especially when you compare the price $25 vs $110) and replace the piston ($15), and your set for 922.:twocents:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Spent last week traveling for work, but I spent Sat and Sun working on the Saiga. :yesway: I got the front sight/barrel shroud/thing that goes up cut, the wood refinished, and painted with Duplicolor Hi Temp engine paint.

CSS is sold out of the 14x1 dies, but my dremel-fu was once again strong and I'm pleased with how the cut turned out. I hope I don't have to take the FSB back off to properly thread it, and I'm planning to use peel and/or crush washers to time the as yet to be determined brake/FH.

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

I'm liking how it's turning out!

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

:ingo:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Just pay for shipping and you can borrow my 14x1 ccw die or if you come to the North side of Indy you can use it. Great job so far!!

Top Bottom