• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Just pay for shipping and you can borrow my 14x1 ccw die or if you come to the North side of Indy you can use it. Great job so far!!

I appreciate the offer, but I have a sneaky feeling that this won't be the last time I need one! ;) If it take a long time for CSS to get them back in stock, I may change my mind. Di you get yours at CSS? They're (by far) the cheapest place I've found... If you did get yours there, do you happen to know the outside diameter of the die? I'd like to avoid buying the handle if the die will fit in mine. Also, did you get the "TAT" from them? Is it aluminum?

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I appreciate the offer, but I have a sneaky feeling that this won't be the last time I need one! ;) If it take a long time for CSS to get them back in stock, I may change my mind. Di you get yours at CSS? They're (by far) the cheapest place I've found... If you did get yours there, do you happen to know the outside diameter of the die? I'd like to avoid buying the handle if the die will fit in mine. Also, did you get the "TAT" from them? Is it aluminum?

I ordered mine through a buddy of mine years ago who owned a machine shop ($30). I believe the O.D. is 1.5" but I'm not sure (I will check it and re-post). I DO know a standard die handle that comes with tap & die kits is to small. I have bought 1/2 x 28 dies on ebay and have seen th 14x1 dies on there as well. I believe they were around $30. I have bought TATs from CSS but currently do not have them (loaned them to a friend and never got them back) and they were steel. I have have pretty good luck without using the TAT. The TAT definately makes it easier.

Last edited:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Your cutting/painting job looks fantastic! I Fubar'd mine up twice before I was able to get a half decent cut on my shroud :):. Nice work man!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Spent last week traveling for work, but I spent Sat and Sun working on the Saiga. :yesway: I got the front sight/barrel shroud/thing that goes up cut, the wood refinished, and painted with Duplicolor Hi Temp engine paint.

CSS is sold out of the 14x1 dies, but my dremel-fu was once again strong and I'm pleased with how the cut turned out. I hope I don't have to take the FSB back off to properly thread it, and I'm planning to use peel and/or crush washers to time the as yet to be determined brake/FH.

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

I'm liking how it's turning out!

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

:ingo:

Dang that's nice!! :yesway:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

The cheapest place I've found for threading die kits is Precise Innovations... considerably cheaper than CSS.

http://www.shop.preciseinnovationsllc.com/product.sc?productId=75&categoryId=16

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I got my 14mmX1LH die and Stainless TAT from www.cncwarrior.com. I found the die somewhere else cheaper but I still would have to get the TAT somewhere, and CNC Warrior offers pretty cheap USPS first class shipping ($3?) while most other places had $9+ shipping. It ended up being cheaper to get them both there. The Die is 1.5" OD.

[edit:] The die was $29, the TAT was $6.50. I already had a die handle, but they sell one for less than $15.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Barrel threading and Range report

Here's how I threaded my barrel; with the exception of the die I imagine it would be tha same for any rifle...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9vZYl49yw[/ame]

I aslo got it to the range today! :rockwoot: 300 rounds with no malfunctions, even the Korean drum (which is a loose fit) functioned perfectly. I did find one surplus steel mag (no spine, made in????) is too big to fit; all the rest lock up tight. My temporary brake loosened up, but I expected it to as I didn't really torque it down. When my type 84 birdcage arrives I'll crank it down with some loctite.

ETA: I was going to "spoof" Full Auto's Military Arms Channel for the intro of mine, but it was too much like work... maybe next time! ;)

Last edited:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is the best threading video I have ever seen, and I have seen two!:D Really nice work man, glad to hear that everything worked out great. That is one terrific looking AK-47 you have there!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    It's done!:rockwoot: Got the flash suppressor and plugged the holes in the reciever. Still needs a little paint touch up, but it's accurate and has been flawlessly reliable up to this point.

DSCF0623.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

:ingo:

Top Bottom