• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Hello, I bought a new saiga 7.62 last October new in box from registered dealer. It came with manual, Russian certification, 10 rd. Mag and gun lock. Had my first chance to try to shoot it today, but it didn't chamber a round.
    I thought okay strange, so I pulled back slowly on retracting mechanism and looked between the gap that's created by it and the safety.
    I noticed the tip of the fmj round was pointing down, and was located about 1/8-1/4 inch away from the chamber, under the trunnion. The back of the round was just a froghair away from the bolt, but just enough it wouldn't catch or feed the round. What's going on?
    P.S. I'm relatively new to the saiga's, but it seems like the wrong magazine, but it came with the gun. Many thanks in advance!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Can you post several pics of your internals and the problem? When you inserted the magazine, did you push all the way until you heard a click?

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    the mag is new and likely you are not pushing it deep enough when you are trying to latch it in. I had the same problem with my saiga at first, but I noticed the mag wasn't fully in before firing.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Is this Saiga converted or still in that craptastic "sporter" setup? Does this rifle have the bullet guide installed?

This.

Are you using a Saiga mag, or ak mag? An AK and no bullet guide would produce the results you described.

AK on left, Saiga on right for reference...

405236077.jpg

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Hey guys thanks for the help wabbit, 243rem700, Atlas, Tomfoolery, chezuki. Part of the problem was me the other part was the magazine. The front of it was shaped strange in comparison to the pic provided. The plastic tab on the front wasn't smoothed all the way down to allow it to go in. A few careful minutes with a dremel allowed that stock mag to go in.
    Then I definitely wasn't putting it in all the way, because before I dremeled I tried another stock mag the same thing, until I realized that even if the first mag had nothing wrong with it I wasn't putting it in far enough. The metal latch still clicked so I thought nothing of it till yesterday.
    Basically just some rough plastic and a newbie mistake. I feel silly bit it also seems many people had the magazine confusion at first, until realizing how far the mag goes in. Now she chambers like a dream.
    Unfortunately yes it's still craptastically sporterized, all stock, but not for long! I will not use original AK parts until I'm fully compliant with 922. Although I am getting the parts lined up to get it done.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I just finished my conversion a couple of weeks ago, I think I still have a spare rounded bullet guide and screw laying around if it will fit. PM if you need any help with it.

Top Bottom