• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you're saiga is unmodified, then you'll need Saiga magazines. After conversion (mag release and bullet guide, specifically) then AK mags will work. This isn't considering any US/import parts requirements.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am waning to know if regular ak mags will fit the saiga ak or do I need to get mags that are atrictly made for the saiga series ak's??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Out of the box, Saigas use proprietary mags. SGM and ProMag make 20 and 30 round mags for the Saigas, but they can be pricey. Others have had their Saigas converted to take regular AK magazines, usually as part of a more generalized conversion into a traditional AK layout (pistol grip, standard buttstock, etc).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    guess I dont know the difference!

Stock Saiga:
    SAI-762-D.jpg

AK-converted Saiga:
    SGL21-67_i.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok I see the pics but the mag release looks the same to me,still dont know the difference!

There really isn't a difference. To make a standard AK mag fit the saiga, you just need to take a couple millimeters of metal off the top of the mag catch. I did it to mine with a dremel, took me 5 minutes. You do, of course, need to check the laws when you do this.

I'm not entirely sure its legal to put the 30rnd mags in the sporter saiga (someone might correct me here). If you convert to an AK setup in 922(r) compliance, all is well.

The bullet guide is to aid in reliability of feeding the rounds into the chamber. Standard AK mags do not have this built in like the Saiga mags do.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ^^ This. ^^

Step by step guide. It is one of the two guides I used when I converted my 7.62 Saiga.

Saiga Conversion

This was the one I did.

img6875h.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

I actually ended up liking the stock Saiga foregrip better than the crappy Galil-style tapco. It would likely be a good idea to vent the grip for cooling purposes.

Just avoid those gawdawful Crapco one-piece "conversion" stocks. Bad juju. They feel awkward, off-balance and look like a man in lipstick and a wig.

saiganew.jpg

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Call me stupid, but I guess I dont get it! Why do you have to "convert" the saiga????

I guess I'm not understanding the specific part of this general question, so I'll answer it directly.

You don't "have to" convert it. Just shoot it. It is fine out of the box if you're happy with that configuration and magazine capacity. :dunno:

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I guess I'm having trouble relating all but 1 of the guns above to mine. From what I understand, the saiga version, move the trigger group back to the tail end of the reciever. All but 1 of the pics above dont seem to be saigas as I understand them. I guess I am back to my origional question, will a regular detachable ak mag fit n the saiga ak?? If mods are required on the magazine, why would I need to check if it is leagal?????

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    paddling man, I am satisfied with it but I only have 10 rd mags for it, and I would like to get 30 rd mags for it! I do want to add a pistol grip to it, I guess I just got used to my AR!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    will a regular detachable ak mag fit n the saiga ak??

Not with out modifications to the rifle and mag.

If mods are required on the magazine, why would I need to check if it is leagal?????

Once you put a 30 round magazine into the rifle it is no longer in a 'sporting' configuration and now needs to meet 922r requirements, which means no more than 10 foreign parts.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    All right... I'll try to condense this.

Can you use large capacity AK magazines? They likely won't currently fit due to too small of a space in the mag catch for the AK mag. It also won't be legal due to 922r import regulations.

Your Saiga was a "real" AK in its truest form but was manufactured as a "sporter" variant to get past US import laws. I won't try and retype all of the issues that are 922r law but many "features" are not allowed on imported rifles... at least in combination: pistol grips, flash hiders, "high" capacity magazines, etc..

Once the legal (sporter) rifle has been imported, you can "convert" by adding these features that were prohibited by import. The caveat? You must have NO MORE THAN 10 of the major rifle components as "foreign" parts. What? It means you've got to remove some of the foreign manufactured parts and replace them with US manufactured parts before you can convert the rifle back to an AKM form factor that has the evil features.

For a Saiga, it is very easy to swap the foregrip and stock (2 parts, US), and the fire control group (3 parts) to bring yourself to that 10-and-under number of import parts. After this is done, you can legally use AK mags. Functionally, you'll need to remove some of the metal at the mag catch and would likely want to add a bullet guide.

Google is your friend. Google SAIGA CONVERSION and you'll find more than you want to know. Similarly, google 922R WORKSHEET and maybe throw SAIGA 922R in as a search. You'll find many, many guides to the why and how to.

You can do a conversion in an hour to hour-and-a-half with a decent drill, dremel, hand tools and some common sense. OR you can leave it alone and shoot it as is.

Another Saiga Conversion guide.
    Shooting Enthusiast - Saiga Conversion

WHAT IS 922R AND WHY...

Shooting Enthusiast - Understanding 18 USC 922R

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, thanks, but it seem much easier to get a converted sks or an ak that I dont have to do all the garbage to. It will prob be going up for grabs before long!!! Thanks for all the help!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    No sweat. If someone hadn't told me (or posted the info to the net,) I wouldn't know now nor would have been able to convert my last one. Heck, I may buy another and convert again. I traded my last one for a deal I couldn't refuse.

Top Bottom