• ...and so much more!
  • jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I just got a new saiga in 762x39

I am wanting to put a muzzle brake or flash hider on the front of it.

I have been hearing some barrels are threaded underneath the collar and some are not. Is there anyway to know without just cutting the front off?

What is the best method?
    I saw some people say they did it with a pipe cutter.

I heard others used a dremmel. My problem with a dremmel is making it a uniform cut.

I have watched videos on how to thread the barrel and dont have a problem with doing that but it would be nice if its already threaded.

Thanks

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You will likely be able to see the threads if they are there. Look at the front of the barrel (unload of course) and look in the tiny gap between the actual barrel metal and the barrel shroud. With a very bright light you should be able to see if there are threads or not. I can see threads on mine, but I haven't taken off the shroud yet...trying to decide if I want to or not. Also, check out the primary saiga forum over at forum.Saiga-12.com There are a lot of threads where people discuss the other features on the rifles and how they line up with threaded or unthreaded barrels.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I have yet to see a 7.62x39 Saiga with thread under the shroud. Those are usually 5.39x39. Definitely use a pipe cutter. I've seen guys use a Dremel and when they tighten the muzzle break, it messes the threads or barrel up. Use the pipe cutter and go VERY slow. If you're interested in buying a threading kit, I'll give you a great deal on one!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Here's a thread discussing this very thing. Lots of 7.62x39 Saigas are threaded.

Saiga 7.62 and threaded barrels - forum.Saiga-12.com

There are many more. They recommended using a toothbrush and dishwashing soap to the muzzle, rinsing, and then using a bore light or bright flashlight to see if you can see the start of the first spiral thread at the end. It's obvious on mine. Hope that helps.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    Thanks I didn't know about that site. I have already been reading through it but haven't found that thread yet. Thanks again for helping a new saiga owner out.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    Well first part went very smoothly. Actually used a pipe cutter from harbor freight that I got for 3.20 I went really slowly and it cut like a dream never broke a blade made a perfect cut. Now for bad part I thought I saw threads but was mislead.
    So I am in the market for the die kit if anyone has one I can borrow rent come to your house and use or buy I am in need.
    Thanks

THREADING DIE-14X1LH,THREADING DIE STOCK HANDLE,tat for 7.62x39

Last edited:
    Top Bottom