• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Broke my first tap yesterday... I was looking to buying a broken tap extractor then remembered reading here on INGO that someone else had broken a tap so after a short search I found what I was looking for. Mr.JAG had this problem a while back so I contacted him. He suggested I freeze the tap by holding a can of DUSTER upside down and spraying the tap then wack it with a punch and hammer. It worked! My tap didnt shatter like JAG's did but it did shear the cutting threads clean off and the tap shot out the bottom of the trunnion.

DSCN1452.jpg

Last edited:

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Broke my tap as well. Did you drill through the receiver to allow the tap to fall out? The reciever on my 7.62 covers the bottom of the trunion. I can actually see the tap between the gap in the trunion and reciever.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Are your threads still usable? I had a similar issue but i had to use a solid carbide cutter to destroy a 10/32 tap. The smaller ones are a bit more brittle and shatter with some freezing and a good whack. Luckily my threads were still in good enough shape.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    I used the 6/32 and after some gentle counter clockwise taping trying to un-screw the tap it just broke into pieces. The tap pieces fell out of the gap between the trunion and the receiver no problem. I got another tap to clean up the threads and then loctite-ed the screw in.

A dremel on the mag lock is much faster than a file. The CSS video mentioned taking 1/32" off at a time. My first time so I tried the file method first. It was taking forever. Zapped it a few times with the dremel and viola.

Breaking a tap was not the end of the world although it seemed like it at the time. Installing the guide was the first step for my conversion. I'm now gun shy of moving the trigger group so I don't f-up my rifle (any more). I'm thinking about leaving trigger group alove and just buying the Tapco stock and saw grip.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The bullet guide is the hard part. Don't buy the tapco stock or i'll make fun of you. Seriously the rest of it is cake.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The bullet guide is the hard part. Don't buy the tapco stock or i'll make fun of you. Seriously the rest of it is cake.

This man speaks the truth. Tapco stocks were made for those kids in high school that just "never got it".

Moving the trigger group is the easier part of the conversion, you have already completed the hard part. Don't stop now.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Yep, hard part done. Watch a few more videos on moving the trigger forward then jump back on the horse. If you need help you can come over to my house and I can walk you through it. Im on the west side. I've done 5 or 6 and I aint scared of f'n your gun up!:D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Don't be a sissy. Your rifle is already f-ed up with the trigger where it is, and that Crapco thing ain't going to fix it. Moving it forward and join the INGO AK cool kid club!:smileak:. It's the easiest part of the whole conversion process.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I had zero AK experience when I did mine. It's super easy. I did mine start to finish with a dremel during a 45 minute conference call (just the moving the trigger part, took my time with the drill and tap part.) I did a lot of YouTube research before hand.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Another "broke the tap guy" here too. I was lucky that there was enough tap sticking out that I was able to grab on to it with vice grips and back it out. It did break early in the run though. Went to a buddies house who has a good tap set and finished the job there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another "broke the tap guy" here too. I was lucky that there was enough tap sticking out that I was able to grab on to it with vice grips and back it out. It did break early in the run though. Went to a buddies house who has a good tap set and finished the job there.

I'll admit it - I broke two. Each time I beat it out with a punch / nail set, then re-drill and re-tap.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Unfortunately I'm not in the crawfordsville area, but could you possibly turn it out slowly with some pliers? When I tapped the bullet guide I made, the tap broke with just enough for me to get it out by adding a little cutting oil, and turning with needlenose pliers.

Top Bottom