• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just picked up a Saiga 7.62x39 for conversion back to an AK. I already have a Romanian side folding stock for it and am now building a list of parts that I'll be needing. I was hoping to do the basic conversion, then do the front hand guard later so I could set aside some money for a good one. The question that I have is regarding 922r compliance.

Since I'm going to use a Romanian side folder, do I need to do the front handguard conversion now to get down to the 10 parts? I don't want to depend on US mags and worry that if I put a factory mag in, I'll be out of compliance.

I guess I could do the gas piston to get back to 10 parts. Here is what I think I'll have unless I either do the front handguards or the gas piston.

Receiver
    Barrels
    Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)
    Bolts
    Bolt carriers
    Gas pistons
    Buttstock
    Forearms, handguards
    Magazine bodies
    Followers
    Floorplates

Does that sound right?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can use this calculator: Section 922r

My 7.62 conversion uses the Romanian side folding stock.

To get 922(r) compliance with the AK setup and using non-us mags, I have the following US parts.

- Hammer
    - Trigger
    - Dis-connector
    - Pistol Grip
    - Hand Guard

That puts me at exactly 10 foreign parts from the 922(r) list. There is no need to change the piston if you choose to go US hand guard now, along with the tapco trigger setup and us pistol grip. If not using the US hand guard, you will need to switch out the piston or rely on US mags (and I don't recommend US mags).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the info. Your AK conversion is what started me down this path. I've had great luck with the standard steel mags on my other AK and plan to just keep buying those. It sounds like I need to do the piston or just hold off on the conversion until I can fund the whole thing.

Another reason I'm holding off on the hand guard right now is that I'm considering trying the Texas Weapons Systems rail on the dust cover. Since this is a budget build, I don't want to put money into anything until I'm sure I need it.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any specific reason for the texas weapon rail? Like I've said in other threads, I'm not a fan of dust cover rails because of their bad track record for stability and holding zero. Not to mention, it kinda ruins those sexy AK body lines. ;) (Although, that texas system looks to be built than most dust cover rail products. I dunno, it might work?)

If you are looking for something sturdy that will cowitness an optic in that location, consider the Kalinka PK-01V v3.0 side mount setup. It will hold zero, cowitness, and it's cheaper than the texas system.

Kalinka PK-01V AK Side Mount w/ 30 mm Heavy Duty Ring v.3.0

I've got plenty of pics of my conversion setup with the Kalinka mount, I can post them but I've been pic whoring a lot lately as it is. If you wanna see, just ask.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly... You don't want to get a US made hand guard because you don't want to spend the money? :dunno:

If so, I'm not sure what to think. The piston swap isn't exactly a walk in the park and will run you 25ish when said and done. Hand guards can be had for less than $50 bucks. IMO, the extra $25 is worth not having to spent time/effort on the piston swap.

*just fyi: my 5.45 conversion will be getting a piston swap, but it's because I want bakelite furniture on my build. :cool:*

Top Bottom