• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a Saiga in 5.45 or .223 for awhile now.Just curious to the difficulty of converting them over to the standard ak format.Would like to see pics and info of your builds.And also links to websites that sell the conversions.Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you.:ingo:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    +1 with carolina shooters supply here is mine, I'm still going to get the barrel threaded here soon.

saiga223_profile.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Depends on how far you want to go. You can do a super quick and dirty conversion in a couple of hours, reusing the trigger guard, and throwing a stock and pistol grip on. You can go all the way to riveting a new trigger guard, welding holes shut, new gas block and new FSB, which takes a couple of afternoons.

The great thing about the 5.45 is the pistol grip hole is already there. Might be the same on the .223 and 7.62, but I have no personal experience with them.

You can always start off small, and work your way up to what ever you want.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Most everyone here will give you similar advice - if you are new to converting Saigas, go to Carolina Shooter's Supply and get one of their kits. They have videos on their site. I replayed them a few times and it worked like a champ. I can speak for the Saiga shotguns - that's the only way to go. Once you've done a basic one - then you can go further - and there are a host of other suppliers (Dinzag, Mississippi Auto Arms, etc.). Take it carefully and you will have a rifle to be proud of. A 223 is next on my list.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Depends on how far you want to go. You can do a super quick and dirty conversion in a couple of hours, reusing the trigger guard, and throwing a stock and pistol grip on. You can go all the way to riveting a new trigger guard, welding holes shut, new gas block and new FSB, which takes a couple of afternoons.

The great thing about the 5.45 is the pistol grip hole is already there. Might be the same on the .223 and 7.62, but I have no personal experience with them.

You can always start off small, and work your way up to what ever you want.

Couple hours?

It's really a matter of how good your dremel and drill bits are. If you can drill and cut rivets quickly, you're looking at a 15-30 minute job besides waiting on spraypaint to dry on the bottom of the receiver. I just blue mine which is even faster.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    maybe with a tapco craptastic pistol grip/stock combo. ;)

Couple hours?

It's really a matter of how good your dremel and drill bits are. If you can drill and cut rivets quickly, you're looking at a 15-30 minute job besides waiting on spraypaint to dry on the bottom of the receiver. I just blue mine which is even faster.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Decided to go ahead with it.Picked up a 5.45 from Bradis the other day and ordered the parts i need for the conversion.Just got done removing the old parts and stuff i wont need anymore.Also decided i'd go ahead and do the handguard conversion as well.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sweet deal!

Good luck with it! The conversion isn't difficult, but there are lots of people here that can help if you run into any problems.

Does yours have that god awful importer cover up hash mark on the right side of the receiver?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Decided to go ahead with it.Picked up a 5.45 from Bradis the other day and ordered the parts i need for the conversion.Just got done removing the old parts and stuff i wont need anymore.Also decided i'd go ahead and do the handguard conversion as well.

do the handguard conversion right and get a new FSB, GB, and hardguard retainer! :)

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Sweet deal!

Does yours have that god awful importer cover up hash mark on the right side of the receiver?

Yes it does.After i disassembled everything i ground that mark off of it.When i went and picked up the gun the other day my first thought was that looks like S***! But then i thought oh well the whole gun is gonna get all torn apart and repainted anyway.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Ok,did the conversion today.ran into a little snag with the trigger/hammer assem.When i push the hammer all the way down then pull the trigger nothing happens it just stays there.But when i just barely push it down and it clicks i pull the trigger and the hammer releases.Whats the problem? Sorry for the probably stupid question,im new to the whole AK styled rifle.Thank you.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when you put the trigger and disconnecter together, did you remember to put the disconnecter spring in? sounds like the disconnecter isn't being forced up to grab the hammer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom