• ...and so much more!
  • Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    Hey all!
    on my last trip to the gun show I noticed a number of saigas going for quite a bit of money. I realize that they can no longer be imported, so Im curious how much of an increase other people are seeing. I was looking at a converted .223 for something like 800. Is this pretty standard?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It really depends on who or how the conversion was done. If it's only the rear end, half assed with bolt on parts, I'd say definitely not. If it's the one I'm thinking of that your referring to, with the series 100 side folder installed and the front end correctly done, $800 doesn't seem too out of line.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Prior to the ban saigas, They were already increasing in price. You originally could buy a saiga 12 for $250-300. You could buy a 7.62 for $250. You could buy arsenal converted saigas for $520.00. Most of those prices were at least double before the ban. I honestly haven't noticed a big jump from before the ban and then after, but they have steadily increased in value over the last 10 years. If I could go back in time I'd buy up every saiga I could afford and sell them today. More than doubling your investment is next to impossible in the stock market.

All of that being said, they're value has increased exponentially. It would be hard knowing what they went for a few years back for me to pay that amount. I don't see them coming down in price though either. With a ban in place they'll be revered like maadis or the chicoms. The only difference is saigas were always regarded as good AKs where as the others were labeled as crap initially then sought after. The only wrench in the cog that I see is the new US made Russian AKs. The Chinese or Egyptians didn't have that variable to affect pricing.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Seems that unconverted saigas are going for $500-600. So I could see even a partial conversion getting close to $700. I won't be paying thst though.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    That all makes a lot of sense. I actually have a .223 saiga and I'm trying to get a feel for the market. I appreciate all of the input!

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    And no, that wasn't the one I was referring to. I was talking about one that I saw at the indy 500 a couple months back. There were actually a few of them going to 800-1000.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    new US made Russian AKs.

Wait, what? :scratch:

Are you talking about the rifles that RWC is planning to make here and slap the "Kalashnikov" brand name on? They will not be "real Russian AKs" and so will have no effect on the value of Saiga rifles (or guns made from Saiga rifles). IF RWC's plan even comes to pass, which ... color me skeptical.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Good luck finding even a "half assed" converted saiga for less then 700.

Im definately not an expert but considering all rifles must be 922r compliant none are 100% russian anyway correct? So who cares if you buy from css and bolt on parts? If you have the tools and knowledge and money to spend on a more "authentic" build.. Awesome. Most people are looking for a good shooter.. A rear converted saiga with bolt on parts would be exactly that.

Would i like a professional like rifle dynamics to convert my saiga? Absolutely. I wouldnt even begin to guess the cost including rifle purchase.. 1300+? I paid 500 for a new saiga .. Moved the grip with a css kit and probably have .. 700 in it.. And it runs and functions flawlessly.. And it was a fun project. Different ways to go about it.. Just do whats best for you.

My saiga 7.62x39

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Are you talking about the rifles that RWC is planning to make here and slap the "Kalashnikov" brand name on? They will not be "real Russian AKs" and so will have no effect on the value of Saiga rifles (or guns made from Saiga rifles). IF RWC's plan even comes to pass, which ... color me skeptical.

AKM, NoDak Spud receiver, 4150 barrel, all Nitride parts, 1 moa capable, $600 msrp, USA made.
    [video=youtube_share;HS3SuJQR0fg]http://youtu.be/HS3SuJQR0fg[/video]

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

Firm Set to Manufacture Russian AK-47 Kalashnikov Rifles in US | Military.com

Yes that is what I meant. I think it will have an effect. Maybe not that dramatic but there will be something. BTW I looked at my original post and autocorrect went crazy. I'm leaving it though. I really should quit using my iPhone to post.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    I used a kit from css and everything fit perfectly and was quite easy. Magpul collapsible stock and buffer tube, hogue pistol grip, g2 trigger and some others. It is an incredible shooter. Chambered in 223, I can shoot is very accurately. Even at a premium cost I think it was worth it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Good luck finding even a "half assed" converted saiga for less then 700.

Im definately not an expert but considering all rifles must be 922r compliant none are 100% russian anyway correct? So who cares if you buy from css and bolt on parts? If you have the tools and knowledge and money to spend on a more "authentic" build.. Awesome. Most people are looking for a good shooter.. A rear converted saiga with bolt on parts would be exactly that.

Would i like a professional like rifle dynamics to convert my saiga? Absolutely. I wouldnt even begin to guess the cost including rifle purchase.. 1300+? I paid 500 for a new saiga .. Moved the grip with a css kit and probably have .. 700 in it.. And it runs and functions flawlessly.. And it was a fun project. Different ways to go about it.. Just do whats best for you.

My saiga 7.62x39

That's a good looking rifle ^. I think what I wrote came off differently than I meant it. I've owned and converted around a dozen Saiga's with bolt on parts, and still have a couple around. They are great rifles, and my SGL31 was probably the most accurate AK I've ever shot. My Saiga 12 is a monster. But I bought them back prior to the EO when they were cheaper and what I perceived as a great value. I don't think the prices people are asking for them nowadays are relative to the quality of the rifle, especially in the goofy "sporter" configuration. In todays current crop of available rifles and prices, I would much rather have a properly built SLR over a Saiga with bolt on parts, now that they are getting close to the same price. Hopefully we see an end to this stupid ban or a way for these rifles to hit US shores again, and the price to return to normal.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    It really depends on when you got a Saiga. If it was just before the ban, when I got one, not much of an increase. If it was well before Obama was elected, it increased dramatically. Of course it also depends on the version. The 12G, 7.62x39, .308, and 7.62x54R saw the greatest demand and price increases. The .223 is still one of the cheaper versions on the market.

In the end, I actually lost money on my Saiga.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There is one for sale locally, unconverted & in 7.62x39. Originally listed for $500 and recently dropped to $450. I am a little interested as it has a 20" barrel.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    The price was high but it was nice to see a new one being sold again. How would someone know if one was purchased right before the ban or years earlier?

Top Bottom