• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I don't know much about these two guns, but I am kinda thinking I want something in .308 or larger for a battle rifle? Looking for opinions, facts, or whatever.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I would go for the FAL, cause it'll be more accurate than the SAIGA, & it's mags hold more rounds. 56 countries can't be wrong, picking the FAL as it's battle rifle.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    When you go parachute shopping do you look for the cheapest or the one with proven performance :dunno:

Depends on my budget. If I only have $500ish and NEED a battle rifle, the Saiga is a good choice. If my budget is over a $1000 I'll look at the FAL. Cost does matter.

Gunman41mag said FAL for its advantages, I just pointed out that the Saiga is significantly cheaper.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Depends on my budget. If I only have $500ish and NEED a battle rifle, the Saiga is a good choice. If my budget is over a $1000 I'll look at the FAL. Cost does matter.

Gunman41mag said FAL for its advantages, I just pointed out that the Saiga is significantly cheaper.
    If you look you will find, I've bought two FAL, one has a thumb-hole stock, I paid $489 & the other FAL is pistol grip & I paid $555;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you look you will find, I've bought two FAL, one has a thumb-hole stock, I paid $489 & the other FAL is pistol grip & I paid $555;)

Honest-to-God FN-FAL rifles??... Or a close approximation / clone that was imported and/or built by Century Arms International?

'Cause unless you happened upon them in a shop/pawn shop that just didn't know what you had; or had a buddy hard-up for money, you can't just get an FN-FAL for less than $500. Unless it's a POS and/or parts gun.

-J-

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Buy one of the Austrian Stg58s for right at $1k if you can stand to save and/or swing it now. You can find a Century shooter FAL for $600-750 pretty easily. If your budget truly is in the $500, I would trust the Saiga more.

I've had several AKs including a 7.62 Saiga and one L1A1 built on an Enfield upper with a good widow's peak Century receiver. I lusted after a DSA US-Built FAL but decided I really didn't want $1800 in a single rifle.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    what is the advantage of the Austrian Stg58s over the Imbel?

(Disclaimer: The poster below is NOT a FAL expert nor does he play one on the internet.)

If the parts kit is new for both and the builder is a craftsman, then probably nothing. Imbel with a chrome lined barrel and the STG with a hammer-forged non-chrome lined?

If the comparison is between a generic parts-kit-imbel-receivered FAL from a gunshow versus an Austrian STG-FAL from DSA, I'm trusting DSA every time.

If the comparison is buying a DS Arms Imbel FAL or a DS Arms STG58 (FAL,) then you're dropping $1000 on the Imbel and $1150 on the STG - at least direct from DSA. For no good intellectual reason but purely emotional, for a 10% difference in price and all other things are virtually equal, I would feel better with an Austrian rifle than a Brazilian rifle.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Good explanation, thank you! Ive been looking at DSA FALs for a while now, so thats where I plan to get mine. :)

Top Bottom