• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I don't think my finanaces, or my nerves, can take another trip to St. John any time soon.

Darn, I was going to extend a dinner invitation. :D

Next time I pay taxes I'll have reason to smile knowing that I'm helping a fellow INGOer fill his safe ... but a Bushmaster? come on.:flamethrower:

1LuvGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    Bill B, I've followed this thread for a long time and I'm relieved to hear everything worked out for the best. You stayed the course, held to your rights through a difficult time. Congratulations!

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    only hassle I've had in this town is at a Subway where a retarded deaf guy confronted me, and a nasty old clerk behind the counter at the Speedway across from LC...

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I don't think my finanaces, or my nerves, can take another trip to St. John any time soon.

I have missed this whole thing until today, been off the boards all summer/ fall being busy at work.

1. Sorry for what you had to deal with.
    2. Congrats on the charges being dropped.
    3. Hopefully some $$$ coming your way for your loss of time, work, and stress.
    4. A BIG :yesway: for you keeping your cool like you did. Handled it the way that it needs too. Good for you!:ingo:

:+1:...rep comin' your way.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Heard from my lawyer today, the insurance company for St. John wants to settle. Maybe I'll be able to re-buy a bushmaster.

Bill,

If the town's insurance company is willing to settle, then they know it's a lost cause for them and will lose if it goes to court.

If you settle, you should make sure that they pony up for any all all cost incured by you to absolve this, including any item you had to sell for your defense and time lost from work, plus attorney fees.

Other words, I'd tell them to start laying currency with pics of Grover Cleveland on the table and I'll let them know when to stop.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Probably should lock this thread now, he wont be able to discuss the case (in most cases) if he settles.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    BillB Congrats on your victorious travel through the trenches of the legal system in our not so just country... +1 on IndyBeerman's statement.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    So by accepting a settlement one must give up their first amendment rights? I still dont understand how this is Constitutional.

INGunGuy

No, you are not giving up your first amendment rights. You have the right to freedom of speech, you do not have the right to slander or libel. IF you settle and accept a non-disclosure agreement then you have every right to speak out without any government intervention - it will be civil and you will probably be paying them back.

That is why some consider settling a less desirable outcome in situation where you would like to make sure the example is out in the public.

Personally, I would not settle so I could make sure to expose the situation and cause as much publicity they don't want as possible.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    No, you are not giving up your first amendment rights. You have the right to freedom of speech, you do not have the right to slander or libel. IF you settle and accept a non-disclosure agreement then you have every right to speak out without any government intervention - it will be civil and you will probably be paying them back.

That is why some consider settling a less desirable outcome in situation where you would like to make sure the example is out in the public.

Personally, I would not settle so I could make sure to expose the situation and cause as much publicity they don't want as possible.

I guess how could it be slander or libel if you are speaking the truth about a settlement.

INGunGuy

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    So by accepting a settlement one must give up their first amendment rights? I still dont understand how this is Constitutional.

INGunGuy

Both sides agree to a settlement.

If side one agrees not to say anything, side two will pay up.

If side one then breaks the agreement by saying stuff, then how should side two be reimbursed?

Are you saying that the constitution limits consenting adults from entering into non-disclosure agreements?:dunno:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Both sides agree to a settlement.

If side one agrees not to say anything, side two will pay up.

If side one then breaks the agreement by saying stuff, then how should side two be reimbursed?

Are you saying that the constitution limits consenting adults from entering into non-disclosure agreements?:dunno:

Nope, but I did say that a person has the first amendment to speak their mind. And as for agreeing to not saying anything is just a load of crapola. NO agreement can take away my constitutional right to the freedom of speech.

INGunGuy

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Nope, but I did say that a person has the first amendment to speak their mind. And as for agreeing to not saying anything is just a load of crapola. NO agreement can take away my constitutional right to the freedom of speech.

INGunGuy

No one is limiting your right.

Speak up. Then you will be back in court for breech of contract. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Bill, you da man. I surely hope you take a large patch of skin out of their hide.

Sadly they (St. John) WON'T learn from this. If they settle the only thing that occurs is St. John's insurance company pays out xyz money. Next year St. John gets a slightly higher insurance payment and that will be passed on via taxes to the citizens of the town. So the actual LEOs of St. John learn nothing since it's not costing them any pain or money.

--UPDATE--
    See this other thread for my case of they NOT learning!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...john_indiana_trying_to_use_scare-tactics.html

St. John LEO is telling someone who went in to get his LTCH application that OC is illegal in IN!
    :faint:

Money won't teach them jack!
    --END UPDATE--

^This!

Lets look at another much simple example. Growing up I'm sure everyone has one similar. Your mom tells you NOT to touch the stove/oven because it's hot and you can burn yourself. Being the young kid that we all were at some point we all touched the fire/stove/oven and perhaps did not get 3rd degree burns but we did learn a painful lesson. Mom was telling the truth and that stove was hot!

Now back to the topic. Me I would not want the money (even though I could use it). I would want the judge to give them the following order.

1) All St. John LEOs and the chief must attend a class on the US Constitution and American civics and pass from a college in the area. 1 semester class length wise.

2) All St. John LEOs are given "xyz" of community hours on talking/dealing with 2A and Indiana gun laws.

What does this do? It's REAL PUNISHMENT (ie. each LEO will have to take time off when he is not working to do this) for them. Each and every LEO will 1) learn a little and 2) and more importantly will remember "they got burned" the last time they did this and will think twice before doing it again.

Is is mean? Perhaps? Is it thinking outside the box? Hum.. not really they do that for some "civilians" when they have to go to DUI class and do community service. Apply the same concept to the LEOs (the entire dept.) and I beg you the next time one of them tries to get out of line their co-work is gonna B-Slap them before they do get out of line cause I'm sure none of them will want to do the "punishment" again.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Heard from my lawyer today, the insurance company for St. John wants to settle. Maybe I'll be able to re-buy a bushmaster.

Unless they're covering all of your legal fees plus a good amount more for missing work, etc. I would turn them down. Might be tempted to request additional training for the officer(s) or a sit down with the police commissioners. Glad this turned out good for you.

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with Jediagh. They have to learn from their errors much like us civilians do. Try to recoup the money that you had to sell your firearm for and a little more AND some form of education for them on the true meaning of Indiana gun laws not whatever they think it is. And do not accept a non-disclosure agreement.

Top Bottom