• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Ok i'll admit it-- I hardly buy anything online. When is sales tax applicable?

Typically when the retail establishment you're buying from resides in the same state as you.

If can even be a super retailer with a warehouse in your state. Amazon is going to start collecting sales tax on IN residents soon because they have a warehouse here. They've avoided collecting sales tax thus far via a deal that I don't remember the details of, but it's about to expire.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If they have a "point of presence" in the state, sales tax is applicable. Cabelas, for example has a retail store in Hammond, so if you order from them, you pay the tax. Even if it's an office or warehouse in state, you pay the tax. If there's no "point of presence", it's not collected at the time of the sale. Now, when you're filling out your IT-40, when you get to the box called "use tax", you're supposed to declare all the stuff you bought from out of state and didn't pay tax on, and pay it then. You do do that, don't you? I didn't think so.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i know i lose alot of sales here in indiana due to tax. everyone thinks i charge tax, this is not the case. i collect tax i dont get a dime of it. its just part of business that is a pain

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Ok i'll admit it-- I hardly buy anything online. When is sales tax applicable?

The feds have been talking about a law that would require ALL online sellers to collect sales tax for all sales.

I imagine that is going to be a paperwork and red-tape nightmare.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Since it's tax time, anyone recall Turbo-Tax asking for a total of online/out of state purchases? If you make a purchase that would otherwise be subject to sales tax, you’re supposed to claim it on your state tax return and pay a use tax :whistle:

gvonpaul

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Since it's tax time, anyone recall Turbo-Tax asking for a total of online/out of state purchases? If you make a purchase that would otherwise be subject to sales tax, you’re supposed to claim it on your state tax return and pay a use tax :whistle:
    Yes Turbo Tax does ask if you have made any online purchases that you need to pay taxes on.

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    I purchase a large portion of my yearly buys on the net and have always watched shipping and delivery charges along with any tax if purchased from an Indiana company. State tax forms ask for purchases that you need to pay tax on. It's your choice on if you report such purchases.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We're all obligated by LAW to report Internet purchase amounts on our state income tax forms, whether software-based or written out by hand.

-J-

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is not just internet, it is all out of state purchases. The only purchases they really pursue are motor vehicles, they get their sales tax money before they let you pay your licensing taxes. The Indiana sales tax codes require sales tax be charged on all purchases. Those same codes require a resident to pay a "User" tax of an equal percentage on any items you purchased out of state but had shipped to you. I have always paid on out of state purchases since I began filing in 1973. I often feel foolish because I know lots of people who certainly purchase out of state merchandise and never paid a single penny. Like a lot of government regulations, they really do not care until they decide to care. Like maybe during an audit.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    thanks to our man mitch, in 2014 amazon will start charging sales tax on all our purchases through them.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thanks to our man mitch, in 2014 amazon will start charging sales tax on all our purchases through them.

You are already being charged the sales tax... Right now its just YOUR responsibility to report it, but since they have not been holding you accountable to pay it, they are holding amazon accountable for collecting it.

oh and by the way.....

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    I don't see it impacting sales much. I'm a repeat Amazon customer not because there isn't any sales tax, but because they have better pricing than the brick'n'mortar stores. A lower price + tax is still cheaper than the higher price + tax. I usually get free shipping, so that's rarely a factor.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    One more thing, they are not "charging" it, they are collecting it. They wouldnt have to collect it, if you were already paying it like you have supposed to of been.

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    One more thing, they are not "charging" it, they are collecting it. They wouldnt have to collect it, if you were already paying it like you have supposed to of been.

Yeah, I do that. Just like I never exceed the posted speed limit.

I'm just saying the collection of sales tax probably won't make much different local vs. internet sales, that's wishful thinking on the part of local business owners. It's hard to beat the selection and convenience of the internet (click, buy, arrive at my door... for just about anything).

Customer service is about the only edge brick'n'mortars have that they can (and should) be leveraging.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yeah, I do that. Just like I never exceed the posted speed limit.

I'm just saying the collection of sales tax probably won't make much different local vs. internet sales, that's wishful thinking on the part of local business owners. It's hard to beat the selection and convenience of the internet (click, buy, arrive at my door... for just about anything).

Customer service is about the only edge brick'n'mortars have that they can (and should) be leveraging.

At least it will make them 7 percent closer on prices... AT LEAST.

I am just tired of the big box stores getting preferencial treatment. Plus the addes revenue for the state will be nice.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood

Yes, but didn't the SIMON'S file a lawsuit against the State forcing the
    the collection of sales tax for Internet sales?

SIMON, one of the largest retail developers/managers in the Nation,
    located right here in Indiana.

Employees several people in their home office,
    Indirectly provides thousands of retails locations
    for multi-thousand employment opportunities.
    Supports and owns the Pacers Ball Club.

I dislike taxes more than most people, not really the tax,
    just the flagrant abuse of how my tax money is wasted.

Local retailers help support our communities,
    provide jobs to local people,
    which in turn, spend those dollars right down the road from us.

Indiana retailers should be afforded an equal playing field when it comes to taxes.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If only the citizens could get a tax break from the additional revenue ;)

More like, if only they would use it for a savings account, so when emergancies happen or costs go up, our taxes dont have to.

I am not looking for any tax breaks. I feel like i get a hell of a lot out of what my taxs pay for. Roads, FF, Police, EMS, snow removal, parks, trash. when you add it all up, this is a great place. If they could kick the moochers off the teat, and use that money for infastructure, and savings, imagine how awesome of a state this would be?

Top Bottom