• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I'm sure some of you are aware of this website already, but if you are like me and just finding out about it, there are some interesting articles posted there.
    http://www.salon.com/topic/guns/

Take this one for example:

Our gun myths are all wrong: The real history behind the Second Amendment clichés that have sustained our lethal gun culture

This article is apparently an excerpt from a book titled "The Gunning of America: Business and the Making of American Gun Culture"

Here are some key points that you'll find in the article linked above:

• The author explains how Americans have systematically been "indoctrinated" by the firearms industry to love guns.
    • Our love for guns doesn't come from our history or culture, it was basically forced upon us by the gun manufacturers so they could make money.
    • Since the 1800's, gun manufacturers have been forcing and/or tricking us into buying guns that we don't need, and only think we want because they told us we do.
    • The gun manufacturers have always and will always control the demand for guns through their rigorous ad campaigns and fear mongering tactics, regardless of actual demand"
    • Gun owners across the country are constantly being duped into purchasing guns under the the guise of "freedom" and "self-defense."
    • We were tricked into believing that guns are a status symbol and should be viewed as items of luxury, which caused us to treat them as an extension of ourselves and our personalities.
    • Gun manufacturers spread wildly exaggerated and often times fictitious stories or legends about American Settlers, Explorers, Cowboys and their acts of gun related heroism and battles for freedom and justice.
    • It was through these stories that they were able to cultivate the image of the American Gunfighter, with which we were groomed to idolize by means of mass media and action movies.
    • These stories also caused us to normalize and even admire/worship gun violence and killing.
    • Americans have been groomed into associating gun fighting with honor and bravery, instead of what it really is, murder.
    • To further our desire for guns, manufacturers began selling accessories and things in which we could "personalize" our guns, thus further duping us into buying things we don't need.
    • Gun manufacturers created youth firearms education programs for brainwashing children into thinking guns are "cool and fun" at young impressionable ages.

The article itself isn't even even the best part of the link!
    After you're done reading go ahead and scroll down to read the comments.

If you do decide to read the comments, be prepared to:rofl:and :ugh: often.

My:twocents::

Now, assuming that this book is being accurately represented, this author believes that American gun culture has been almost entirely fabricated by what is an evil capitalist empire profiting on death and killing.
    I am supposed to believe that we as gun owners are just being used as cash cows to keep an archaic industry alive and profitable.
    Modern guns lack any necessity and only serve as tools of death with no practical use? Really?
    :wow:

I really don't like how this article paints gun owners as pawns played by the gun industry, like we can't think for ourselves and form our own opinions about what we need or want.
    I especially don't appreciate the way this article/book downplays the roles guns had/have in American lives and American history. Good or bad, guns have been a part of America since the beginning.

I think it's funny that his article is damning the firearms industry for doing the same thing the automotive industry has been doing since the invention of cars.
    The demand generated for new cars is MASSIVELY based on innovation. When consumers see new innovations in things they are interested in, they want to own one, regardless of what product it is. I thought that was common sense?

The automotive and firearms industries share the exact same business model, generating demand through innovation and advertisement.
    Except when automobile manufacturers do it they don't get articles and books written about them stating they have victimized and duped Americans into buying their products.
    I think it's fair to say that guns and cars are both considered large parts of American culture. Why aren't automotive manufactures being demonized in the same way as the gun manufactures by these people?
    Automobiles kill more people per year than guns do. Why hasn't the dangerous "racing of muscle and sports cars fetish" come under public scrutiny? One could EASILY kill just as many if not more people by driving a car into a crowded shopping mall as compared to shooting it up with a gun.

I don't think I will ever be able to wrap my mind around the hypocrisy of some people.
    How can you be so against only guns, when cars kill more Americans than guns every year. Clearly these people aren't motivated by the preservation of life like they would have you believe.
    If that were the case cars would be right next to guns as being "one of the biggest problems in our society."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now, assuming that this book is being accurately represented, this author believes that American gun culture has been almost entirely fabricated by what is an evil capitalist empire profiting on death and killing.

The antis try to run the same play every decade. It was a lie when Bellisles last tried this in 2000.

Clayton Cramer used to brag that he could flip to a page at random and find multiple lies. It was the reason that they revoked Bellisles Bancroft Award.

Arming America was a lie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_America

This book is a lie as well.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I find these types of websites to be entertaining. The lack of research and statements of opinions as facts that permeate throughout their content is just mind blowing.
    I like to keep an open mind when considering the views/opinions of others, I consider their points and try to see things their way. I've hurt myself a few times doing it though, gave myself a migraine that lasted a week once.
    However I rarely agree since most of the anti-gun advocates these days are just trying to propose laws and regulations that would have little to no impact on gun violence.
    It's almost like story time. When I see articles like these I wonder "what new outlandish idea have they come up with to thwart the evil guns this time?"

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Salon, the same place that published articles that attempted to justify pedophilia and claimed that anyone who opposed them was the real monster.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Targeting the facts - America's favorite guns - Pictures - CBS News

Here's a CBS "article" on "America's Favorite Guns".

Except, it's one of those stupid pages where you have to click to the next page, to hit you up with more ads....
    And so on every page description, they can hit you up on the various people killed.

I could only make it to page 4 or 5 (out of 25)

Waiting for the one where they say the same about cars.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    In most cases, it is important to know your opponent's arguments and what his strategy is likely to be, so that one can be prepared and ready to refute it. This is why we, for example, studied Red Army training and doctrine materials in the 1980's.

However, the anti-gun left is so intolerant, so insipid, so full of faulty reasoning and just flat-out lies, that it is impossible to read. I don't think it is meant as any kind of serious work, but is only for consumption by their own "true believers" so as to confirm their already held prejudices and biases.

Top Bottom