• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    This happened last Saturday, but I went to the IU/Ohio State game and the guy right in front of me saluted the flag during the National Anthem. After the song was over, I thanked him for his service. After a few moments of silence, he said that he never served, but explained how his dad taught him and his brother how to do a proper salute, blah blah blah. I wanted to give him a little piece of my mind, but I didn't want things to be awkward for the rest of the afternoon. Although, being an OSU fan, he had no troubles giving me heck about the game. What a jerk.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Granted his etiquette was poor, but I would say in the world we live in now, at least he stood up and saluted. How many in the stadium even bothered to stand much less cover their heart.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    US Flag code says Military in uniform must salute, military not in uniform may salute. All other persons are to respectfully place hand over heart and remove any head dress. This was from a list posted on military.com.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like a proud American and a all around good guy.

Yes.

Mom & Dad taught me hand-over-heart in civvies, Uncle Sam taught me salute in uniform, but I am not going to begrudge anyone who wants show respect and salute The Flag in mufti. Beats the hell out of slouching, rocking around looking bored, or scratching one's privates like I see so many at games.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Granted his etiquette was poor, but I would say in the world we live in now, at least he stood up and saluted. How many in the stadium even bothered to stand much less cover their heart.

This is true (although those around me in the stadium were very respectable.). Considering the assault on patriotism in this country, perhaps I'm being way too hard on the guy. Maybe I've read too many stories on false valor lately. Or maybe it was his stupid buckeye hat that I had to stare at that skewed my judgment of him. ;)

At at any rate, thanks for the different perspective.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    OSU fan and gave you crap? One of the best teams in the country being his OSU team almost got beat by IU and unranked team, if anything it was a poor showing by Ohio State and nothing more... I feel like I was taught to place my hand over my heart or for some reason I was encouraged to fold my hands behind my back as if I was bowing my head to pray or something during it. It seems acceptable but I don't know how all view it. Kids always did this in school though and hand on your heart was for the pledge. That was a while ago though...

I will say though It would strike me as odd to see someone out of uniform saluting. I don't really have a problem with it, I do have more respect for him not "pretending" to have prior military service, if that were the case, then we'd have a problem. Better to show love for his country in that way than what I've seen some do!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remove your cover if wearing one, place hand over heart and stand near attention.

Put down the phone, shut up and respect the flag. Simple.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I seem to remember a change in the law shortly after I retired. The link below has what I thought it was.
    I am with Phylodog and several others here. I've removed my hat and placed my hand over my heart since 22 May 2007 (my last day in uniform). On 21 May 2007 I was standing in the shade of the F-86 Sabre at Airpower Park on Langley AFB when Retreat sounded. That was the last time I rendered a salute during the National Anthem and short of being recalled to active duty due to alien invasion or such, it will be my last salute for the National Anthem.

The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year's provision also applied to servicemembers while not in uniform.

New law allows saluting in civilian attire during Anthem

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Speaking as a veteran, yes, it wasn't according to Hoyle for a civilian to salute, but I'm totally with you on him showing respect, even if it was unconventional.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not quite the same experience here, but years ago, on a cold November (I recall that it was a bit below 32 degrees), I was driving east on Broad Street in New Castle, just west of the Family Dollar store that used to be there, when a funeral procession approached in the westbound lane.
    I did the proper and respectful thing and pulled off to the side, waiting until the procession had passed, when I noticed a fellow (probably in his forties) on a bicycle on the sidewalk directly across the street from where I was stopped.
    He had stopped his bike, putting both feet down, turned toward the procession, and had taken his knit cap off as a sign of respect.
    He and I remained as we were for at least one minute, only then going on our way after the cars had passed.
    Yes, this is a very minor thing, but it was great to see this fellow hadn't forgotten about just a little bit of gallantry.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it's quite rude to call that guy a jerk for showing respect during the National Anthem.
    Maybe it's not the proper thing to do as a civilian but in his mind he was showing respect.Which is what matters in my mind.

If you call that guy "a jerk" then what do you call a guy who talks on his cell phone or doesn't stand up during the National Anthem?

As a non-US-Citizen I don't put my hand on my heart during the US National Anthem.Would the OP think I'm a jerk?:dunno:
    I do whoever stand up to show the same respect I show to my own National Anthem.

That guy sounds like a patriot, not a jerk. :twocents:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Leave the guy alone, doesn't sound like he was trying to be something he's not just doing what he was taught to do. In the next 10 years you will think back to that guy and wish there were more people like him. Parents are not what they used to be and patriotism in general will be hard to find in the future, or so it seems.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Leave the guy alone, doesn't sound like he was trying to be something he's not just doing what he was taught to do. In the next 10 years you will think back to that guy and wish there were more people like him. Parents are not what they used to be and patriotism in general will be hard to find in the future, or so it seems.

Don't give up hope on the children, there are plenty of kids that understand patriotism and hard work. Stop in your local HS and take a peek at the kids involved in JROTC and after school in FFA, 4 H and all different ways kids can be a scout.

top1939

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I'm new on this group - but this one caught my eye...
    I am a US ARMY SERGEANT MAJOR..Retired..I did 16 years US NAVY - and 8 years US ARMY..
    I see many men who salute the flag..that were not US Servicemen at any time in their lives....and would be honored to think that this man had enough love for his family and Country to salute our Flag...honoring his dad and Country.. Good for him.. To condemn these people is wrong... We need more like him.. My dad.....was in the Army in the 1920's and 30's.. He was with the Fighting 69'th...14th Infantry..out of Brooklyn NY..
    As a small brat....I must have been 6 - he started teaching me to Salute our Flag... Once you are taught that -- you never forget. Had I NOT gone into Military Service -- I would today...salute our Flag... I salute -- or sometimes place my right hand over my heart...
    Leave the guy alone....he is doing what his dad taught him...to respect our Flag and Country..... No comment on the Administrations views on that.........
    Out here......carry on...

Top Bottom