• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

John Titor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I sent an email about the omission to God in the Commercial .
    He is what they had to say .

July 11, 2013

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your message about our recent TV ad and our use of some words from the Declaration of Independence, without the phrase “by our Creator.” We apologize that the omission offended you. That was never our intent. As you may already know, we adhere to an advertising code, established by the Beer Institute – a beer industry trade organization. The code states, "Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes." We agree with that, and follow those guidelines in our advertising and responsibly marketing our products.

We understand your objection to the omission of the phrase "by our Creator" in other circumstances (after all, these words occur in the Declaration of Independence which our namesake, Samuel Adams, signed), and, in this case, we believe it would be outside our industry guidelines and inappropriate to invoke the deity in a beer commercial. We also want to let you know that this commercial was developed to run exclusively around Independence Day, and is no longer on the air. We appreciate your getting in touch with us to express your concerns and sensitizing us to your point of view. Thank you for giving us a chance to respond.

We really do rely on consumers to be the judges of our work and we appreciate your taking the time to reach out.

Sincerely,

Michelle Sullivan
    Senior Director of External Relations
    Boston Beer Company

Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes."

Well if that's what the standard says they who are the consumers to argue ?

[video=youtube;RJiDT2-PDlI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJiDT2-PDlI[/video]

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Had they used it, some would be offended that "our creator" was blasphemied to sell a sinful product.

Things like this are a reason why it's better for businesses to remain apolitical, non religious, non patriotic, etc. Because no matter what they do, somebody's panties are guaranteed to be in a twist.

I won't fly a flag anymore. No matter what lengths I go to to display it correctly, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, some uber patriot will be along to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    First they take the diety out of schools and now beer commercials, what's next I ask, what has this world come to?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sooooo....you wanted them to use your deity to sell their beer? Am I reading this right? That seems more than a bit blasphemous and would likely have had every evangelical denomination in the country up in arms. They did the right thing. Always best to adhere to a separation of beer, business and religion.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Curtis isn't going to buy any more Sam Adams beer over a company following its industry guidelines?

I think Curtis may have had a bit too much already.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My thought is that if they don't want to quote an historic document correctly, then don't quote it at all. I see this not as a religious issue, but an issue of historic truthfulness which often gets marginalized under the heading of a religious discussion when, in my reckoning, it is no different than selectively ignoring parts of the Constitution a given person, legislator, or judge doesn't particularly like.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From the Beer Institute:

http://www.beerinstitute.org/assets/uploads/BI-AdCode-5-2011.pdf

Beer advertising and marketing materials should not employ religion or religious themes.

I'm thinking this was more likely to be meant as guidance to refrain from showing a religious figure, Buddha maybe, with a beer in his hand or Moses kicking back after leading the Jews our of Egypt with an ice cold Coors more than the mear utterance in a historic document.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Had they used it, some would be offended that "our creator" was blasphemied to sell a sinful product.

Things like this are a reason why it's better for businesses to remain apolitical, non religious, non patriotic, etc. Because no matter what they do, somebody's panties are guaranteed to be in a twist.

I won't fly a flag anymore. No matter what lengths I go to to display it correctly, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, some uber patriot will be along to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

How many times did an "uber patriot" tell you that you were doing it wrong before you decided to quit?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Had they used it, some would be offended that "our creator" was blasphemied to sell a sinful product. Things like this are a reason why it's better for businesses to remain apolitical, non religious, non patriotic, etc. Because no matter what they do, somebody's panties are guaranteed to be in a twist. I won't fly a flag anymore. No matter what lengths I go to to display it correctly, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, some uber patriot will be along to tell me I'm doing it wrong.
    Since when do you give a crap about what someone else says to you? And if you REALLY wanted to know how to fly the flag correctly, I'm sure you could get the information from Wikipedia or just Google it. What a bunch of B.S.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    From the Beer Institute:

http://www.beerinstitute.org/assets/uploads/BI-AdCode-5-2011.pdf

I'm thinking this was more likely to be meant as guidance to refrain from showing a religious figure, Buddha maybe, with a beer in his hand or Moses kicking back after leading the Jews our of Egypt with an ice cold Coors more than the mear utterance in a historic document.
    I think you're right, but I'd say they went with "better safe than sorry" as that guideline seems fairly vague. What's the penalty for breaking one of the guidelines?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think you're right, but I'd say they went with "better safe than sorry" as that guideline seems fairly vague. What's the penalty for breaking one of the guidelines?

Isn't interesting that the "safe" course in today's America, is to avoid religious references at all costs -- even when they are part of our history?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Isn't interesting that the "safe" course in today's America, is to avoid religious references at all costs -- even when they are part of our history?

Oh come on, don't you know that the US was founded to be an atheistic paradise and religion was never a part of our history?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My thought is that if they don't want to quote an historic document correctly, then don't quote it at all. I see this not as a religious issue, but an issue of historic truthfulness which often gets marginalized under the heading of a religious discussion when, in my reckoning, it is no different than selectively ignoring parts of the Constitution a given person, legislator, or judge doesn't particularly like.

Beat me to it. Manipulating / re-writing the Declaration of Independence for financial gain is not nice IMHO.

I don't buy Sam Adams very often anyway, but I will be more consistent in the future.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Seems like an odd way to sell a beer call Samuel Adams, doesn't it? Especially since Adams was one of the authors / signers of the document. Seems like "self-contradiction" on the brewer's part.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom