• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My FIL gave me a Made in China Samurai Sword. Of course he thinks its valuable just like most of the junk he buys. It has a plastic sheath, fancy box and a blade, that though is pretty sharp has no noticeable grain pattern. The handle is wrapped with what feels like black tennis shoe string.

I will try to add some pictures, but I was wondering if they have any value. I would sell it and put the cash in my gun fund.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If the sheath is made of plastic, I highly doubt it is worth a large amount. You can guy cheap swords all day long online that look and feel authentic.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ^^ Agreed. ^^ Have yet to see a quality samurai sword that has a plastic sheath and that doesn't have the typical 'wave' pattern.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    China made swords can be all over the board as far as price/value....any where from sub $50.00 to upward of $300.00. It will all depend on the quality of the materials being used and the fit & finish. First, a good or high quality samurai sword will have harmon on the blade (This is what ModernGunner is calling a "wave pattern"). Other things to look for are....is there real ray skin under the handle wrap? Are the parts on the sword made of plastic or pot metal? Is the blade full tang (runs all the way through the handle)? How it is the fit & finish.....is it sloppy or are pieces that come together look like it was meant to be (tight tolerances)? These are things to look for in determining the quality of the sword. :twocents:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    China made swords can be all over the board as far as price/value....any where from sub $50.00 to upward of $300.00. It will all depend on the quality of the materials being used and the fit & finish. First, a good or high quality samurai sword will have harmon on the blade (This is what ModernGunner is calling a "wave pattern"). Other things to look for are....is there real ray skin under the handle wrap? Are the parts on the sword made of plastic or pot metal? Is the blade full tang (runs all the way through the handle)? How it is the fit & finish.....is it sloppy or are pieces that come together look like it was meant to be (tight tolerances)? These are things to look for in determining the quality of the sword. :twocents:

Thanks Brad. It has harmon on the blade. Parts are made of metal. The "skin" below wrap looks like some kind of ray, but I can't tell. I think it is full tang. It has two mekugi pegs in the handle. One up near the hilt and one a little more than halfway back. Fit and finish looks good to me, but I have never looked closely at others. Everything is tight.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Any brand names on the sword or box?

Cas/Hanwei makes pretty decent stuff from what I have read. Their swords are usually in the upper $500 range and are supposed to be high quality for a made in China Sword.

Then you got stuff like Honshu that is just cheap BudK crap worth nothing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ran out of time last night, sorry about that. Here are some pics.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
    ry%3D400

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That hamon looks acid etched, not differentially heat treated. If it is from one of the better Chinese forges (like Hanwei or Cold Steel) it might be worth a few hundred. It doesn't really look like it though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That hamon looks acid etched, not differentially heat treated. If it is from one of the better Chinese forges (like Hanwei or Cold Steel) it might be worth a few hundred. It doesn't really look like it though.

When I look at the hamon, it looks like someone just took a stone to it. It has vertical fine lines like you would get if you took a stone to put an edge on a blade. Sort of they way a Kabar looks after you put an edge on it. Nice smooth chrome look until you put a working edge on it. I could be wrong though. My knife knowledge is not the greatest.

Heck, I still think Old Timer's are nice knives!:)

Top Bottom