• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Thousands of Sandhill Cranes just outside Brownstown yesterday. Don't know if they will hang around with the low temp's in the single digits. They roost standing in water. This is what happens when the water freezes overnight.

picture.php

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    cranes

I didn't know they were around this time of year. I just learned about them last year. When do they migrate? I read somewhere that there is usually a huge flock at Goose Pond down near Linton. I'd love to go see the thousands of them I hear are down there.

Jason

tactical1224

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    LaPorte, IN
    So cool! I remember seeing them last year when I was down near Seymour. Did a double take and stopped the car to get out and watch them. Amazing migration.

jmattox50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    In a usual year I usually start seeing them heading south the week of Thanksgiving. But this year I still had somne at my house when I was leaving for hunting trip second week of December.. Gotta love the weather

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Just saw a report that there are 3500 Sandhill crane at Goose Pond. I just returned from the Seymour and Brownstown areas. There are hundreds near Seymour and a couple thousand plus at Brownstown. The Brownstown birds were kettling (circling to catch an up draft) but were not having any luck and returned to the ground. Saw several attempts by 1000+ birds this afternoon.

I didn't know they were around this time of year. I just learned about them last year. When do they migrate? I read somewhere that there is usually a huge flock at Goose Pond down near Linton. I'd love to go see the thousands of them I hear are down there.

Jason

Top Bottom