Sandpaper versus rubber for improving grips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I see companies like Talon Gun Grips make adhesive grips for several models of guns, all of which come in sandpaper or rubber. I know Hickok45 uses Talon Grips with the sandpaper finish on his guns, I've seen others post or display theirs with the rubberized version. Any reason to choose one finish over the other one?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I see companies like Talon Gun Grips make adhesive grips for several models of guns, all of which come in sandpaper or rubber. I know Hickok45 uses Talon Grips with the sandpaper finish on his guns, I've seen others post or display theirs with the rubberized version. Any reason to choose one finish over the other one?
    The sand paper ones will shred your clothing and skin if you conceal carry with them.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I use the talon granular. Swear by them. I have no issues carrying iwb or out. Best grips on the market in my opinion. Easy to put on, look factory and your hand sticks like glue to them.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've had both from Talon grips and the granular is the best IMO. The sand paper type grips nicely, aka skateboard tape but it's rough on the skin if your grip touches your body. The granular is grippy yet smooth if that makes any sense. Hickok45 led me to them too. :)

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I tried both and don't like the rubber one, for CC a rubber slip on is the way to go but for range use definitely the skate board type work better for me since my hands sweat a lot. I got some 3M strips that are use for anti slip on latter's and I like them a lot since they are thin and no as aggressive as others, got it from my local hardware store.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If your gun has a polymer frame , why not stipple it ? I do it to all my Glocks and it definitely improves the grip without shredding my clothes or hands.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    is there any chance your over thinking this one, I've shot and drawn in IPSC in 98 deg heat, and I sweat like a fat guy on a hot day, (because I am) and my guns have never felt like a bar of soap

Are you having trouble holding onto a firearm?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have used skateboard tape with no adverse effects on clothing etc. However I only had it on the front strap of my duty SIG though and not wrapped all the way around. I did have it on the sides of my Glock 35 before I got out of the Glock business and didn't have much issue either. It was sharp at first but after a couple days on the range it wore down just enough to be JUST RIGHT on the texture. I would replace it about once every year or so, sometimes longer and on my SIG I spent 8 hours a day (sometimes 16) every month plus carrying it the other days.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Was wondering about this as well...thinking about buying talon grips but if the granular works better I wonder if the anti-skid type tape would work just as well?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use the Talon rubber grips on all of my Glocks. I've experimented with skateboard tape and don't care for how rough it is. To me, the rubber grip tapes are perfect. YMMV.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The sand paper ones will shred your clothing and skin if you conceal carry with them.
    This. I bought the skate board tape (granular sandpaper) for my Glock 19 when I had it. I had a hole in one of my shirts after 7 days. I would suggest the rubber version to avoid ruining your clothing.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    If sandpaper grips are too aggressive next to your skin, simply take another piece of sandpaper to them until they are comfortable for you. Much easier to do if done prior to applying to your firearm.

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    If you are worried about the samdpaper type of grip hurting you skin or clothing, why not just put it on the front and back of the grip. I've seen plenty of stippled guns with only parts of the grip texture changed for the same reasons I assume.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    So I went ahead and bought those anti-skid strips I mentioned earlier. Sanded a few of them down so that they weren't so aggressive, cut them to size, then slapped them on my CW9. Walah! Not the best fitment, but not bad either just to see how it felt. The grip feels really nice. Can't wait to shoot it.

Best part, cost me right about treefidy!

20140206_162554.jpg

20140206_162620.jpg

20140206_162609.jpg

Top Bottom