• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE
    Few questions. I bought a cheap old saturday night special. "Terrier One" chrome plated, black plastic handle revolver. Not sure the year but looked in great shape, no cracks or pitting so figured it'd be safe. All I had was .32 auto to shoot. Went to the range and even at 10ft, this thing was terribly inaccurate. Aiming 10ft away dead center, it was a good 15" higher. No, it wasn't me pulling. I've also learned shooting anything auto is terribly stupid as it can lodge into the chamber. All I can say is it didn't fall into the chamber at all and every shell fell right out. They must've had a rim, but I admit i didn't pay much attention.

Curious do you think the ammo would cause this inaccuracy? Or, is it true they're a "gut gun" and only good up close?

I've since read I need .32 s&w short (or "normal") which seems practically impossible to find unless I want to pay $1 a round. Any idea where I might find .32 s&w shorts? I've googled the heck out of it.

Thanks all. Just couldn't pass up on a $40 gun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    So you shot 32 auto in a 32 s&w revolver............ One of those is a 20,000 psi smokeless cartridge and the other is a 10,000 psi black powder cartridge...
    Unless I am misunderstanding you, you are shooting a smokeless load in a revolver designed for a black powder cartridge...
    It might evaporate in you hand... I have nothing else to offer you.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    1. DO NOT shoot .32 ACP out of that gun.

2. I personally wouldn't shoot that gun at all. It is made from pot-metal. Ask yourself what your hand or eyesight is worth to you.

3. The 32 ACP bullets were likely tumbling but you can't expect anything good from a 40 dollar gun.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I had to subscribe to SG ammo to find 32 S&w short. I think I paid 30 bucks a box for 50.

I shoot mine out of an Iver Johnson revolver and it’s still a gut shot gun at 10 ft.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a real nice S&W double action fourth model in .32 S&W but I have no plans to shoot it. Lucked into it at an auction; looks almost unfired and in the original box circa 1907-1909.

Speaking of cheap revolvers, I went to a police auction in the early 1990s. Picked up a Gercuda (W. German) 7 shot snubby in .32 S&W Long for $2.00. Yes, the transfer fee was more than the gun.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    So you shot 32 auto in a 32 s&w revolver............ One of those is a 20,000 psi smokeless cartridge and the other is a 10,000 psi black powder cartridge...
    Unless I am misunderstanding you, you are shooting a smokeless load in a revolver designed for a black powder cartridge...

I'm not familiar with the "Terrier One", but I am familiar with 32 S&W. Not ALL .32 S&W are black powder. The OP needs to learn more about his firearm before firing it, but to say 32 S&W is a black powder cartridge is misleading.
    I own and safely shoot both versions.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I'm not familiar with the "Terrier One", but I am familiar with 32 S&W. Not ALL .32 S&W are black powder. The OP needs to learn more about his firearm before firing it, but to say 32 S&W is a black powder cartridge is misleading.
    I own and safely shoot both versions.

Read my post again, first just because YOU are not familiar with Terrier One does not mean others are not.. And yes he was shooting smokeless loads in a black powder revolver.. #Notverysmart Be smart, the fingers and eyes you save, may be your own.

Serrifile, Inc. made the Terrier One in .22 rimfire and .32 S& W cartridges I the period 1884-1887. There are no records to give a more exact date.This revolver is made of inferior materials and poor workmanship and revolvers of this type were banned from importation as a "Saturday Night Special" by the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    I wasn't commenting on the revolver and said so.
    I was commenting on the cartridge. You said the 32 S&W is a black powder cartridge. I am merely pointing out that the cartridge is available in both BP and smokeless.

Read my post again, first just because YOU are not familiar with Terrier One does not mean others are not.. And yes he was shooting smokeless loads in a black powder revolver.. #Notverysmart Be smart, the fingers and eyes you save, may be your own.

Serrifile, Inc. made the Terrier One in .22 rimfire and .32 S& W cartridges I the period 1884-1887. There are no records to give a more exact date.This revolver is made of inferior materials and poor workmanship and revolvers of this type were banned from importation as a "Saturday Night Special" by the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I wasn't commenting on the revolver and said so.
    I was commenting on the cartridge. You said the 32 S&W is a black powder cartridge. I am merely pointing out that the cartridge is available in both BP and smokeless.

Thats not the topic in this thread. He was shooting 32 auto in a 32 short revolver.
    So he was shooting a 20,000. Psi load in a revolver designed for black powder.

And go and do your homework, 32 s&w/short was designed as a black powder cartridge.
    Thats why ammo for sale is anemic at 725 fps... In case folks put it in 1800's revolvers.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    Thats not the topic in this thread. He was shooting 32 auto in a 32 short revolver.
    So he was shooting a 20,000. Psi load in a revolver designed for black powder.

And go and do your homework, 32 s&w/short was designed as a black powder cartridge.
    Thats why ammo for sale is anemic at 725 fps... In case folks put it in 1800's revolvers.

I don't need to do any homework. I have been reloading for 32 S&W in both BP and smokeless for a long time.
    As I have said a couple times now, my comment is only directed at the point that the cartridge is available in both forms.
    As for the topic of the thread, it was you that brought into it the statement that 32 S&W is black powder. You didn't say his pistol, you said the cartridge.
    I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse. If you still miss my point, I will simply agree to disagree.

kisskollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2020
    CLARKSVILLE

Appreciate it, but I already said shooting auto was stupid didn't need nor ask for a lesson. I asked if anyone thought that it might affect accuracy at that close a range, which I couldn't believe 15 foot would be that far off. Also asked if anyone knew availability for .32 SW short. But I appreciate you can google.

Here is a link which shows the same gun. No way is it from the late 1800's. Probably the 70's. It was from Lancaster, CA so it wouldn't have been banned from import. Although I do agree, CA should be considered a foreign nation.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9496672...rst-descendant-2-1-2-inch-Nickel-Pot-Meta.htm

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Decades ago I had a cute little Smith & Wesson, one of those with the palm safety.
    When big sister and me were slaying pop cans in Gramma's front yard with Remington ammo, one of the cans that had already been toppled, the bottom of the can where the aluminum is thicker actually caught and retained a bullet.
    And by the way, .32ACP dies can be worked with to reload the brass with the old #313249, shot as-cast and finger lubed.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I make these, powder charge and type is like Clay Pigeon said, dependent on the date of manufacture and type. Soft lead bullets and black powder with a magnum primer are what works best for guns like a Merwin.

Top Bottom