• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Glad you got a good one. My last heavy bbl'd savage in .308 had a bent bbl. With a different handload it would shoot a foot to the left didn't know why when I sold it to a friend. Just figured the vibration was different with the different load. He did some gunsmithing on it and got the bend to the vertical plane. Gave him more elevation out of his scope. He may have rebarreled it by now.
    Not sure I want to take a chance on one the factory bbl'd.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I bought a Savage 10 FCP a few weeks ago so this review has perfect timing. Mine is a older version but has the heavy black accustock, not camo stock. So far, I really like it. I had planned on re-barreling it into a 6.5 creedmoor or a .260 after deer season, but am not as certain about that as I was when I first bought it. Either way, I'll be ready for the next distance shoot at your place because I'm gonna practice using the bi-pod more than just the day before.

Very nice! 308? yea I mean unless your just wanting one of those calibers and have a need for extended range capability the 308 will do any and everything you'll need it to while being able to find a plethora of factory loaded match and hunting ammo. Let us know how you like it!

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    I had occasion some years ago to buy a second hand Savage 10FP, which is the 20in heavy barrel in .308. (Pre Accu-trigger model) Paid all of a whopping $300 for it. Near new, and looked like it had only been test-fired. With Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 grain, I've gotten half inch five shot groups at 100 yds. I think that good handloads would shrink this a bit. I have absolutely no complaints. Incredible value for the money.

FWIW,

JGalt

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had occasion some years ago to buy a second hand Savage 10FP, which is the 20in heavy barrel in .308. (Pre Accu-trigger model) Paid all of a whopping $300 for it. Near new, and looked like it had only been test-fired. With Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 grain, I've gotten half inch five shot groups at 100 yds. I think that good handloads would shrink this a bit. I have absolutely no complaints. Incredible value for the money.

FWIW,

JGalt

Hard to beat that kind of accuracy for no more than it cost!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Got my first Savage 3 years back when my wife gave me an Axis for my birthday. I hated the plastic stock, and put it in a Boyds laminate stock. The trigger (not acutrigger) was kinda heavy, but not gritty or creapy. I cut 1.5 coils off the factory spring and ended up with a very serviceable trigger for a cheap entry level rifle. Even with the low budget version of a Savage, I am happy with how accurate it shoots factory ammo through its lightweight hunting profile barrel. It's a good shooter. I'll probably buy another Savage one day. Just got a couple hundred rounds of Federal GMM at a decent price to try out. (Palmetto State Armory) Like the rifle in your review, I'm not overly thrilled at the magazine with a plastic tab, but it works well even with the replacement stock. Need to get a couple spares for when that plastic tab takes a dump. I would even like a 10 round mag, but didn't want to spoil the clean lines of this gun any more than I did with the big scope. Well, now I'm a Savage fan.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got my first Savage 3 years back when my wife gave me an Axis for my birthday. I hated the plastic stock, and put it in a Boyds laminate stock. The trigger (not acutrigger) was kinda heavy, but not gritty or creapy. I cut 1.5 coils off the factory spring and ended up with a very serviceable trigger for a cheap entry level rifle. Even with the low budget version of a Savage, I am happy with how accurate it shoots factory ammo through its lightweight hunting profile barrel. It's a good shooter. I'll probably buy another Savage one day. Just got a couple hundred rounds of Federal GMM at a decent price to try out. (Palmetto State Armory) Like the rifle in your review, I'm not overly thrilled at the magazine with a plastic tab, but it works well even with the replacement stock. Need to get a couple spares for when that plastic tab takes a dump. I would even like a 10 round mag, but didn't want to spoil the clean lines of this gun any more than I did with the big scope. Well, now I'm a Savage fan.

Yea that's a nice looking rifle, I messed around with an Axis last year that I did some videos for my channel. It was a factory heavy barrel in 243 and I upgraded a few things on it and it turned out to be quite the shooter.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I'm looking to buy the 308, 20 inch version of this rifle right now . Trying to find one at a good price. I have several hunting rifles in various calibers, but no 308, or heavy barreled ones. Hope it doesn't disappointed.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm looking to buy the 308, 20 inch version of this rifle right now . Trying to find one at a good price. I have several hunting rifles in various calibers, but no 308, or heavy barreled ones. Hope it doesn't disappointed.

I'm sure it will serve you well. Throw on a nice scope and some good ammo and I have a feeling you'll be very impressed with it!

Top Bottom