• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A few weeks ago I bought a used Savage model 12 BBSS. This was a spur of the moment buy simply because the price was too good to pass up. Came set up with a 6X18 scope and Harris bipod. I ordered some Bitterroot Valley ammo for it and tried every thing out at the range today. I also tried some cheap Remington Wal Mart ammo but wasn't real happy with it's performance.

savage12b.jpg

This Savage is a pre Accutrigger model meaning it has the nasty heavy Savage trigger of old in it. I will do a trigger job on it, I did quite a few in the pre Accutrigger days and never had a problem getting a safe trigger under 2 pounds in them.Having a decent trigger should help with the group sizes.

Speaking of groups this is what today's 100 yard target looked like I shot this off the Harris bipod using a squeeze bag under the buttstock. 1st 5 went 1 1/2 inches right, I adjusted and the next group was 1/2" left. I called both low fliers, the heavy trigger got me a couple times. I should have relaxed and taken another breath but instead pulled both shots. The BVAC ammo is loaded with 55 grain V-Max bullets btw, and at 16.59 a box of 20 it was cheaper than the Wally World ammo!

bvss222502.jpg

Now I will check the bedding, work on the trigger and properly torque the action screws and see what happens. Bottom line is the Savage will shoot and I am sure it will shoot better than the groups I shot yesterday. I still feel they will outshoot any factory rifle made today under the $3000 dollar mark.

This rifle will replace my 22 CHeetah with it's aging barrel as my varmint rifle. The CHeetah barrel will be retired and the action used for something else. I don't plan on anymore trips west where the CHeetah's velocity was an advantage but I think a .375 Whisper Incognito will be a fun rifle and will allow me to retain the fabulous wood on the CHeetah.

Last edited:

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Hey thats not to shabby. I've got a Rossi single shot in 22-250 that I getting ready to take to the range. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gotten it in 223 just because of the price of the ammo. I know mine is a cheap rifle but am hoping it will shoot decent. I,ve got a bipod comming in this week for it. If I can group as good as you did at 100yds I'll be thrilled. Have fun shootin.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Hey thats not to shabby. I've got a Rossi single shot in 22-250 that I getting ready to take to the range. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gotten it in 223 just because of the price of the ammo. I know mine is a cheap rifle but am hoping it will shoot decent. I,ve got a bipod comming in this week for it. If I can group as good as you did at 100yds I'll be thrilled. Have fun shootin.
    I have owned two rifles by Rossi. Now that Taurus owns them, I really believe their quality has gotten more consistent. The first Rossi I have is in .223, and does about 7/8" three shot group at 100 yards. Not to bad. The second one I had I got rid of. It was chambered in 7.62x39, and was a piece of junk. I am very satisfied with the .223's performace though.

Top Bottom